Solar panels for electric fencing

Shavings

Visit site
Any one use solar panels on their electric fencing?

if so which one?

and also how have you set it up?

must just an idea as I am sick to death of wheeling batteries to and from the field often in the dark!

fence would be checked daily regardless

Esmae

Visit site
We have a solar set up. Panel on roof of stable block which is wired to a leisure battery. Lights all the stable lights, yard, feed store etc, and the electric fence through an average energiser. We had it put in 6/7 years ago now and battery has never failed. Ours wasn't a kit. We shopped around and took advice and it was quite expensive at the time but very reasonable when you think the power company wanted about £15k to connect us to the mains. I think from memory that the panel, battery, gizmo to stop the battery overcharging, lights and switches and the electrician to wire it all in was about £800. Best money we spent. Has transformed life in the yard.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have a Rutland all in one energiser with its own panel and it's just so simple. Doesn't even weigh much - I'd estimate no more than 2kg. Keeps a charge for weeks and doesn't need much sun to charge itself and runs up to 2km fencing. Mine's currently set up and running and we haven't had any proper sun for weeks. It was in storage for 4 months and still switched on straight away. I'd never go back to separate batteries and panels now.

meleeka

Visit site
I had one that was about A3 size which folded like a book. It was only around £30 on eBay. It was placed on the stable roof and clipped onto battery and extended the time before it needed charging considerably.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have a Rutland solar powered unit and it has been perfect for me. It has probably been out in the field doing its job permanently for over 2 years now. It did struggle a bit before Christmas when it complained that there hadn't been enough sunshine/daylight for it to charge but back to full strength now.