Sold horse then wanted it back. happened to you?

jayvee

Visit site
Just a curious post ....Have you ever sold your horse, soon realised you regreted it and then tried to buy it back?
Love to hear your stories on this, did you manage it? did you not? what lengths did you go to to get your sold horse back?. (anticipating a couple of posts, amazed if loads!)
shocked.gif

Tia

Visit site
I put my horses in England on pre-purchase trials when I sold them and yes I did take 2 of them back after 2 weeks where I became very concerned about the standard of care they were receiving. Lady wasn't too happy with me but I don't care I got my horses back!

If there is any doubt about whether people can live without their equine companion then they should place their horses on a pre-purchase trial.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Yes
frown.gif

I had to part with a little spotty horse in my late teens. My parents had been paying livery on all my horsies but they split up and I could only afford to pay for one.

I sold 4 in total. 2 went to a friend of mine (one has since passed away but the other I see frequently). 1 went to the groom of a local livery yard and she still has her.

The final one, my spotty, went to a friend of a friend. He was the one I really didnt want to part with as he'd been my first horse that excelled at dressage and the first I could say I'd brought on myself. I never questioned the quality of his home, but I still wanted him back. Indeed my mum offered her a few thousand more than I sold him for a year or so later but the girl wasnt interested.

Sadly, I got a phone call a few weeks ago to say he'd been found in the field with a broken leg
frown.gif
Apparently the girl had been eventing with him and doing really, really well. He was such a lovely little horse and I cried my eyes out when I found out!

Ive now got the absolute perfect boy for me...so while I do still miss the others, Im content in the knowledge that I know where they are, who they are with and that they're happy. Also, none of them would have done the job for me anymore (they were all jumpers and I gave up flying a while ago).

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I ended up buying one back because the girl lost interest and she went on to become my first brood mare. She gave me ten lovely foals that have all gone on to be good allrounders plus, one, a Malvern sale topper and later a county show champion, another a dab hand at dressage and another went on to jump very well but the one of hers I most regret selling was George, who I sold to a professional showman in high hopes but it wasn't to be and he got passed on and I have lost touch with him- the first of mine I have 'lost'. He is the one I would buy back in a flash, I wish I hadn't been such a wimp at the time; I truely regret selling him.
I'd also love to buy back Jenny who I sadly had to sell this spring, now things have sorted themselves out again but first I need to sell some puppies!

moodymare1987

Visit site
well i sold my pony, in september this year, i am still really missing her loads, its hard to explain how much i loved her, she wasnt just a horse she was my best friend and am gutted now, as i have got a new horse and havent felt the same about this one as my other, im gutted really as i did all the work myself, the only reason for selling her was i was too tall, she took up my leg well though,

plus i wanted to go onto competing which i was limited to doing on mine, but i dont think ive ever regretted something in my life except this,
frown.gif
frown.gif

maybe it will come in time getting to know my horse, everything i do with new horse i always think well rosie was blah blah if you understand, the only plus he has is that he is an outstanding jumper. xx

Skhosu

Visit site
Yup. Sold, two weeks later people couldn't handle it, so same day he was put on our trailer and came home.
Have known people to pay twice what they sold for.

GTs

Visit site
This is Bambina - I gave her away, and would happily take her back any day of the week!! She is actually willed to me, which is probably the only way I would get her back, as her mummy loves her very much!!

horse.gif

If Stella or Clarita ever needed a home, they would always be welcome back too.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Well I would love to buy my Ella back but her new owner wouldn’t sell her back to me, I have asked. It’s nice to know she is so loved and cared for though.

My Ella:
6.jpg

druid

Visit site
Yes, Sparks was "sold" at one point to my then instructor - I couldn't handle her but cried my eyes out when he came to pick her up. When it came down to the money changing hands I couldn't do it and had her back - still have her 6 years down the line and won't ever be parted with her.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Yep - sold a polo pony because I was loved up and didn't have the time at uni to keep her fit. However I wanted her to go to a nice home and not to play high goal.

So sold her and guess what - she ends up playing high goal gets hooked in the knee and was ruined and then became a polo school pony (read idiots who can't ride and likely to repeatedly get whacked with mallets).

I was gutted and felt really guilty. I tried to buy her back as soon as she was injured and they wouldn't sell her even for what they paid.

Due to that I will never sell another horse (I like) and especially not because of a bloke! Horses now come first in my life!!! (er so read spinster!
blush.gif
)

jayvee

Visit site
Wow amazing on the response!!
I once had a little grey mare, had the ugliest body yet pettiest head despite having a fractured skull. Sold to loanee at the time, then she sold her on again when I said.. 'If ever you can't keep her let me know, I will have her back' word to word! I lost track of who she went too. I miss her and would have her back tomorrow.
Sasha.. you out there old girl??
Would never sell my current gal of 8yrs, She is a star, even at 18 and fit as a fiddle.

sojeph

Visit site
Sold a shettie and would love to have her back if she came up for sale or even if I knew where the hell she was!!
This is her:
Caenn Sophie (think she's now called Fifi)
sof-sof.jpg

sophiepony.jpg

bellgave

Visit site
I sold a really good MW show hunter who I had a lot of sucess with. I was away working when someone offered me good money for him. The next time I saw him was at Royal Windsor and he looked fab, I was kicking my self.....untill he started acting up and being a complete pain in the bum, I then remembered why I sold him in the first place! Gorgeous horse just a real twit!!

JaneMBE

Visit site
Two I would gladly have back....

holly.jpg

Holly... bought as a broken 5 yr old, in reality a slightly older wild scared pony. Absolutely stunning, but shy and wary of people. A tad of a bronc and a bit possessive in the field. Sold her to a man who breeds Welsh D, he was either going to have her for his son as a show pony or use her as brood mare. God, I miss her
frown.gif

Bess

bessy.jpg

14.3 dun and white cob, beautiful, perfect horse. Old (unknown to us) tendon injury flared up and after 6 months of rest had to be sold on (we didn't have the time or finances) as a mare ready to start work of weeks of walking, then trotting etc.
Sold to a lovely family who had had a horse with same problem so knew what to do. I would love them back, it was heartbreaking in both cases to see them go
frown.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
William's mum Woodlark was sold in late 2002, locally. The lady came to my mum's funeral and tol me that she had just sold Woodlark to a dealer as she proved a crap hunter. Fair enough. But when William was broken in he started to look rather nice and I made enquiries to see if I could get her back. I hit a brick wall with a dealer in Cheshire, I was old she had gone to a nice PC home and they loved her (bet that's the standard answer) and couldn't get past that. She was a really easy breeder, and although not exactly cuddly she was a useful diesel horse at lower levels.

Having said that we would never have had Whisper, Woodlark or William if my mum had not bought back the matriarch - Wiillow. She was my mum's pony and she sold her at one point. A couple of years later she happened to be at a local sale and the mare came in to the ring. Luckily she had the money and bought her back (for all of about £200 I think). Pure chance!

One day I will have to make a photographic family tree to put on here of that line.

Nic

Visit site
We sold my pony, but when they couldn't cope with him we bought him back. He's home for life now
grin.gif

Would also have my little bay pony back. Jimmy 13.1 hackney x. Stubborn little git & extremely difficult to ride. Mum sold him while I was at work, never got to say goodbye
frown.gif

New owner left false address
frown.gif
frown.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I regret selling my little 14.1 NF
frown.gif

I sold him about 6years ago and i still miss him everyday and would take him back tomorrow. I fell out with his new owners though during the sale (they had him on loan for a while first and it got a bit messy) so didn't keep in touch.

I sold him coz i had long outgrown him and he was too young to be retired.

He was my soul mate and i have never felt the same about any other horse
frown.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I regret selling all mine! But then when I sell, its because I really need to (ie. outgrown ponies or reached their limit etc.). I hate seeing them in new homes, they never do things right! I find myself thinking "jeez, why havent they put a rug on him" etc.!). Although if they're doing well then of course Im happy about that. There's one little guy, who actually I had the only a couple of months who was such a little superstar. Really miss that little guy - he just had that sort of lovable personality.

There's 2 horses, the only 2 horses I couldnt cope with (one was a stallion I had when I was 11) who Id love to have now because I think Id love to see if I could sort them out now!

the watcher

Visit site
Only one, Jack, an ex pointer I bought for my husband just before son was due..he was a superstar but when home life went wobbley I couldn't cope with two and had to sell him (decided I couldn't sell on my own who I had for years and was too old to be of interest to anybody else)

jack is pretty much retired these days at a riding school in Oxford and I know he is in a good home, but at any time over the years I would have bought him back if he had been for sale again ( as his current owner knows!)

vicm2509

Visit site
It hasnt happened to me but the person I bought Baron from in April has been asking me if he can buy him back. He sold him to me because of finantial reasons as his youngster was ill and money was becoming a problem. I know it sounds mean but I love baron so much that I wouldnt consider selling him for any amount of money. I have said he can come and see him when he wants (although he hasnt been yet) as I know if it was the other way round I would be heartbroken.

Faithkat

Visit site
Oh yes, I sold my lovely Arab gelding (the grey that Burtie is riding in the pics she posted in the "How do you want your horse to go" post recently) because the livery he was in was absolute rubbish, no grazing, stables falling apart etc and, at the time, I did not have transport so was severely limited as to where I could get livery. Two months after I sold him we got the lease on the field that I now have! I have tried to buy him back on a couple of occasions (he's still very local) but she won't sell him. It's really sad as he is totally wasted where he is but that's life . . . I'd love to have him back, he was, as Burtie says, adorable.