Sold with full tack?

WeeBrown

Visit site
I'm looking around for a horse at the moment to buy and share with my husband. A lot of the adverts say either tack included or tack negotiable but some don't say anything at all. What would you take from the adverts that say nothing? Also why would some people keep their tack or just sell the horse with only a bridle?
Sorry if I'm being typical novice owner and knowing nothing. I did own a pony years ago and got all tack with it. We kept him until he died and so this never came up.

paintsplat05

Visit site
a lot of people i know have either sold their saddle seperately or kept the saddle in the hopes of it fitting their new horse. I sold Star with ful tack as the saddle was synthetic and getting on a bit and i wasn't planning on having another 14.2 pony!

Bossanova

Visit site
We never sell a horse with tack- can always use it on something else in the future!!
Some horses come with saddles as they've been made for them/fit really well. God knows why you'd sell a horse with a bridle, seems odd to me. If it doesnt say anything then I'd assume tack isnt included.
Having said that- I tend to be a bit cynical if a pony says it has been outgrown/child is moving onto horses but the owners wont send the tack with it, I always wonder what they will use the presumably too small tack for.

Tia

Visit site
Over here a horse is sold with a halter - that's it.

To be honest, some horses that are on the market are worth less than the tack, so it is understandable that these people wouldn't want to part with their saddles.

Incidentally I don't believe I have ever sold a horse with tack.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
If it says nothing about tack then it most likely the horse will come without. Personally I would not sell tack as I will need it for my next/other horses. Did once chuck a bridle and old stable rug when asked by buyers, people like to feel they are getting something for nothing/better deal etc, it is human nature.

showjump2003

Visit site
My horse was ment to come with tack and rugs.... She came with an awful turnout and the tack she arived with wasn't the tack I had tried her out in! lol

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I would be suspicious of anyone selling tack with a horse. I know a local dealer who sells all his with tack - he goes to Leominster sales every month and buys about 10 saddles for £100! Most wouldnt look out of place in a museum.

Tia

Visit site
blush.gif
Well I have to admit I do things like this when I sell. As I say, over here horses are generally only ever sold with a halter. I always go out and buy a brand new headcollar for the ones being sold - they look fantastic but they are of a far lower quality than the old leather ones I have here.

Is this bad? Thing is I have so many horses and I need to keep all my good headcollars for my guys.

dieseldog

Visit site
I've only ever sold a horse with tack once and that was because I had already bought the next horse and a saddle for it. The tack was by seperate negoitation. Don't think we have ever got a horse with tack.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
In racing its a general rule you always sell with the headcollar (that is why we have many crap ones about the place). Its the law at the sales, and people genrally do it in place of the old giving money back for luck thing.
Doncaster and Newmarket sales still do 'headcollar money' (I think), £1 per £1000 of the sale price, which goes to the lad.

WeeBrown

Visit site
Not surprised you do this, I love those leather head collars
smile.gif

Thanks everyone for feedback. I'll just tell OH he needs to give me more money for this horse we're 'sharing'.

Skhosu

Visit site
Mine all came without a stitch (having to change the headcollar of a 17hh excited tb in the middle of a busy garage carpark was fun when we collected my boy!!) apart from the coloured pony who kept his headcollar.
Most 'old' horsey people seem to either send headcollar or a lot give a 'luckpenny' of a tenner or something.
Went to a cow sales and they ALL give the buyer a tenner!

Halfpass

Visit site
I sold my horse with some tack. I had 2 of a lot of things so to make it easier for new owners i sold him with the second set of stuff rugs boots bridle etc. His saddle was sold seperatly as was new and work about £1000 I did offor it to new owners but they declined. When they actually purchased him (after trial) they actually gave me most of his rugs back as they wanted to buy new ones. They kept bridle and a couple of fleeces but thats it. They did knock me down on price though.

I_A_P

Visit site
i sent basically everything with my pony as i didnt need any of it, if i sold my horse now i would keep my saddle and probably my bridle as well, as it would be adjusted to fit another horse:)

MagicMelon

Visit site
Some horses will come with no tack whatsoever and I would assume that if its not mentioned that its available in the advert (or Id ask in the initial phone call). I personally prefer to get my own tack to make sure its fitted etc. - Once I got tack with a horse and it was pretty c*ap and didnt fit!

I think it depends on why the people are selling. If they're selling up completely (ie. will have no horses) then they might as well sell everything with the horse. If not, then often if they have other horses - they might as well keep the tack as it may fit others, or if its very decent then they may make more money selling it off seperately.

dwi

Visit site
I bought Daisy with everything as her rider was giving up but the tack was pretty crummy. I like the saddle but I wish now that I had negotiated a cheaper price and said that she could keep everything else. The browband fell apart (wierd clip system) and the rug came with huge rips in it that hadn't been there when I went to see her.

smallbutgreat

Visit site
I will try to sell our 14.2 hh with tack when she goes on the market next year.

Partly because she is outgrown, and we will not get another pony/horse in this size.

However, also because her saddle fits extremely well, and has been checked and restuffed several times. It would give me some added reassurance to feel that she was being ridden in something I knew fitted well and was right for her.

Don't expect to recoup all the value ... saddle and bridle cost just over £1,000 three years ago, and would expect to get about a quarter of that on top of her value ...

regalrendezvous

Visit site
My tb came with nothing, not even a halter. He was delivered though which saved us picking him up.

My welshie came with - tendon boots, a bridle -with bit, a woolen show rug with hood and a thick water proof winter rug. Oh and a halter and leadrope.

I sold my old horse with everything (including float boots and show rugs) but not the saddle as it has cost me

AU $1750 so i sold that seperatly

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
My lad came with saddle, a bit, about 3 rugs, a set of travel boots and a tail guard- I say came with him, I paid £500 on top of the purchase price. The reason for sale was the seller had had an accident and wasn't planning on buying another. She kept the bridle as she had used it on both my lad and her previous horse and was keeping for sentimental value. Rarely (on our yard anyway) are new horses bought that come with much, if any, tack. I later traded in the saddle (a Hawk Event saddle, sadly too small for my ample a*se) for £400 against a new one, so not a bad deal all in all!

EllieBeast

Visit site
Negotiated an extra £200 on top of horses price to include an Ideal GP saddle (good as new, later checked by saddler and a perfect fit) a half decent bridle and two rugs. not a bad deal i dont think. sellers thought about keeping saddle but their new horse actually has withers, so wouldent take the Wide fitting saddle that fitted my rhino-toad-pony!!

Chex

Visit site
My YO sold her horse through a dealers with all tack (a 2 week old wintec, new bit, expensive sheepskin numnah, and a brand new turnout), the dealer hadn't put includes tack in the advert, but he better have given it away! I'm not sure why she sold her tack, I think because it was fitted to him and she wanted him to be comfy (even though he was sold because he was crazy). If I wasn't getting another horse I would give away all the tack and rugs, wouldn't be much use to me.

Sparklet

Visit site
I sold my old horse for £1500 with all stable and turn out rugs, the purchaser knocked me down to £1000. She then had the cheek to ask if the saddle came too.

It fitted my new horse, but even if it hadnt I could have traded in against a new saddle.

jemima

Visit site
The first pony I bought came with her headcollar and rope and saddle and bridle - that was all the tack she possesssed in the world!

The second pony came with headcollar and rope, stable rug and turnout rug, bridle and saddle - all of that is still in use for him nearly four years later (he's just about trashed the turnout though) with the exception of the saddle that didn't fit him but was perfect on the next pony I bought. His owner was giving up and gave me all the tack she had.

The third pony came with headcollar, saddle and bridle, and two knackered turnout rugs - none of which fitted him - he got second pony's saddle.

The fourth horse came with everything, including boots, feedbowl, storage bins, two bridles (although NOT the stubben I'd tried him in!), saddle, selection of rugs, five headcollars, travel boots. Again the owner was giving up and just wanted rid of everything.

The fifth horse came with a headcollar and rope! She now uses either the saddle that came with fourth horse or saddle which came with third pony!

The third pony was bought to bring on and sell and when he went he took with him a properly fitted saddle and bridle, nearly new heavy and medium turnouts, a full nearly new grooming kit, a new sweat rug and travel boots as none of the stuff bought for him would have fitted any horse I was likely to buy in the future - and we STILL made 100% profit! (and he got a perfect home into the bargain).