SOLUTION SADDLE DRAMATIC TEST RIDE

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
I used to work for them, and I can honestly say no horse went worse in them and most showed a significant improvement, if not dramatic.

The most common response from the horse was a deep breath in and a big sigh out.

It was also normal for the rider to feel a bit uneasy at the combination of a freer, bigger moving horse and a fully flexible saddle that doesn’t hold you between the blocks and the cantle.

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
[/QUOTEE="ApacheWarrior1, post: 14630853, member: 114123"]
Yes this is what happenend to my ploddy cobby - he suddenly was squealing in delight and I was terrified - ended the trial at that point as I was scared of his reaction …. feel bad now that I have failed the Test Ride …… and feel even worse that my cobby is clearly not that comfortable in his current saddle....even though it fits him. My only question is how do you attach your acavallo gel seat to the saddle??

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
The thing about the gullets is that the purpose and function in these saddles is totally different to a treed saddle. The saddle flexes and spreads high a treed saddle/fixed gullet doesn’t.

Having said that, it’s why I prefer the original Solutions because they are truly fully flexible, whereas the Smart models were meant to appeal to people wanting a traditional look and therefore need to be more structured. And now you’re into all the different bases and models to accommodate that.

Like I say, I’ve used the originals, and nothing else, on countless (I really have lost count) horses over the past 15/16 years, some of them were backed in treeless and never had a treed saddle near them. Others, particularly schoolers and many with loads of issues, have swapped straight into treeless and improved instantly.

ApacheWarrior1

Visit site
I would dearly like to think that I could manage a solution saddle but might have to look at second hand in case I get scared of my power-cob!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes this is what happenend to my ploddy cobby - he suddenly was squealing in delight and I was terrified - ended the trial at that point as I was scared of his reaction …. feel bad now that I have failed the Test Ride …… and feel even worse that my cobby is clearly not that comfortable in his current saddle....even though it fits him. My only question is how do you attach your acavallo gel seat to the saddle??
If your horse isn't comfortable in his saddle then it manifestly DOES NOT fit him, no matter what legions of "professional" filters tell you.

TPO

Visit site
If there is no structure how does it distribute pressure?

Poppy Webber's "a day in the life of a saddle fitter" treeless video on YouTube illustrates my concerns/queries about treeless saddles.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id really like to try these saddles but they budget out probably quite a lot of people. I have a wow and it was still more than half the price of a solution saddle :( Hate that my horses comfort ultimately comes down to finances at the end of the day

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Anyone interested in the research behind the saddles can find out more on their website, or look at the Saddle Research Trust stuff.

And anyone looking for a second hand one, plus a lot of helpful advice, join the Unofficial Solutions Saddles page on Facebook.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I second rowreach.

I have used them for over 10 years now. I've tried upgrading twice to the newer versions. Both times I've sold and gone back to what I like - the originals. I find all of mine are quite happy in them, I will flip flop in and out of treed saddles. But always end up with the Solutions again. They're just so handy.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
If there is no structure how does it distribute pressure?

Poppy Webber's "a day in the life of a saddle fitter" treeless video on YouTube illustrates my concerns/queries about treeless saddles.

Poppy isnt talking about solutions saddles more the awful treeless ones you see for a few hundred pounds. Solutions saddles have been pressure mapped (I think by pilance) and there are no stirrup bar related pressure points

TPO

Visit site
Poppy isnt talking about solutions saddles more the awful treeless ones you see for a few hundred pounds. Solutions saddles have been pressure mapped (I think by pilance) and there are no stirrup bar related pressure points

But solutions don't have any structure either so how do they disperse and distribute weight and pressure?

Poppy states that she is referring all treeless saddles but makes a small allowance for leather treed saddles as they aren't truly treeless

Dont mean to drag Poppy into it. Her video just describes and illustrates the point well.

Wheels

Visit site
Well there is some structure, just not completely rigid structure such as with a wooden tree. Some flexible tree saddles are even less rigid than the solutions. The head (as it would be in a treed saddle) is fairly solid but not as solid as a head plate. Otherwise it would just drop down onto the wither.

I'm not sure how exactly how they are constructed as I haven't taken one apart (too expensive)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had the same reaction from my horses as TP when I tried a fairfax dressage saddle I knew before I got to trot the horse liked it .

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I haven't seen Poppy's video but to my knowledge I've been fitting treed saddles at least as long as she has and I will say that treeless has its place, good materials do spread weight. Some horses will show discomfort and issues from the bars, where there is usually a pressure peak even under the best, but in the good ones it's not overly high and many horses are very happy in them.

I'm campaigning to end the use of the word gullet in reference to saddles - it can mean headplate, or channel, demonstrating why they are much better words to use, despite the industry using "gullet" ALL THE TIME.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
But solutions don't have any structure either so how do they disperse and distribute weight and pressure?

Poppy states that she is referring all treeless saddles but makes a small allowance for leather treed saddles as they aren't truly treeless

Dont mean to drag Poppy into it. Her video just describes and illustrates the point well.

Seriously, rather than me going into it in a comment, have a look at the Saddle Research Trust stuff, or even just the techy bits on the Solution Saddles website. I've seen them stripped back after plenty of use, seen them made from scratch, seen the pressure data, it's fascinating stuff even if you never ever want to go treeless :)

And like I said upthread, there's a big difference imo between the original saddles and the Smarts, which I don't like.

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
Seriously, rather than me going into it in a comment, have a look at the Saddle Research Trust stuff, or even just the techy bits on the Solution Saddles website. I've seen them stripped back after plenty of use, seen them made from scratch, seen the pressure data, it's fascinating stuff even if you never ever want to go treeless :)

And like I said upthread, there's a big difference imo between the original saddles and the Smarts, which I don't like.

I have previously, admittedly it was years ago because I was treating a horse who had one, fitting another horse into trees from a solution and one of my friend's liveried on a yard where they all rode in them (it was a "natural" yard where the YO exerted a strong influence!) and was coerced into buying one. At the same time there was a sponsored event rider using them too.

So I did look into them but that might be the original because this would be circa 2008 to 2012.

I had a hands on look and poke about my friend's saddle at that time. My friend was really short and quite heavy at that time so seemed to struggle to balance (not a confident rider either). The saddle felt the same to manipulate as a saddle with a broken tree.

I get that trees are somewhat medieval but despite lots of new ideas (quantam, that other saddle with springs and a hole in the seat, etc) nothing does the job as well.

I'm not disputing that it works for some but how doea it work? I appreciate that solutions arent as flimsy as the pillow but surely the physics is the same?

I will have a look at the updated solutions and look at their pliance testing results.