Solutions / treeless saddles - pro's and con's?

Caramac71

Visit site
Apologies for starting another thread about saddles, I am aware there are a lot on the go at the moment!

We are considering trialling a Solutions saddle but I need to educate myself a bit more on pro's / con's. Can anyone advise?

It's for a 6 year old 15.2 very wide, flat backed ID/connie mare who has been diagnosed with (+ treated and rehabbed) arthritic changes in her thoracic spine, just behind the saddle. Never seemed completely happy with her Thorowgood T8 saddle. We are currently trying her in a wide saddle with a flat tree to see if any improvement. Remedial fitter has suggested if no improvement, that we consider Solutions saddle.

My concerns are that on the one occasion my daughter tried to ride her bareback, she hated it. This was prior to diagnosis when we were aware of there being a problem but trying to determine what it was. Is she likely to hate a treeless saddle in the same way?

I am also concerned that she needs the support in her back that a tree gives, in order to better distribute riders weight.

And the other concern is that I've read treeless saddles are a good temporary solution but used longer term can lead to more back problems. Obviously I don't want to make anything any worse than it is now!

I've read so many positive reviews on here but I want to fully understand the pro's and con's before trying. I think its fear of the unknown as I don't know anyone that has a treeless and the general perception from people that haven't tried them, is that they are awful. Our physio has already said it would be no good but I'm not sure how much she knows about Solution Saddles as opposed to the cheaper treeless that have the bad reputation.

hippocobamus

Visit site
I also have a very wide, flat backed horse (well, hippocob) and buying a solution saddle for him was the best thing that I ever did. He doesn't have any existing back issues, but no other saddle worked on him.

I think the perception that all treeless saddles are only a temporary solution and that they don't support horse/rider as well as a tree are very much false, based on my experiences.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend at least trying a solution saddle (and it's one of the only topics on here that actually motivates me to respond, rather than lurk) because I have become such a convert and am so happy with the results. You'll never know if it's the right thing for you and your horse unless you try. Go for it!

Beatbox

Visit site
Couldn't agree more with Hippo - I have a SMART saddle from Solution Saddles and I would not go back to a treed saddle! They are not like so-called "treeless" saddles and look and feel fairly conventional - the main difference is that horses find them easier to move in and to carry the rider. They really come into their own with any horse that has back issues. There is plenty of support in the wide, weight bearing panels that spread the load well. I've been using my SMART saddle for years now, on a very mixed bunch of back shapes - and they are all very easy to ride in it. You can trial a saddle for as long as you want, so there's no reason not to give it a whirl! Let us know how you get on...

Shady

Visit site
i agree with both of the above, B and H, the trouble with some treeless saddles is that over time their panels will flatten and people expect them to last forever , also people resist investing in the correct saddle pads as they can be quite expensive but they are necessary with many models, some second hand treeless saddles are already 12+ years old when they go up for sale and have very little support left in them , many of these go to supporting the ' treeless saddles are bad for your horse', nothing lasts forever but a good quality treeless like Solution would definitely be worth trialing.

Caramac71

Visit site
Thanks for your responses. Have either of you ridden a horse consistently in one for a few years? Do you have regular physio/back checks? Have any issues shown up?

And has anyone successfully ridden treeless in a horse that hated being ridden bareback?

hippocobamus

Visit site
I've had my saddle a while now, nearly 2 years perhaps, and although I don't get the physio out to hippoface as much anymore (because it's simply not needed as much), I do now get excellent comments about the condition of his back and also how much more supple he is when the physio does come.

He was always happy to be ridden bareback, which was what led me to solution saddles (and a couple of other treeless makes along the way), so I can't comment on that. Though I would have thought that if your horse is going to be comfortable in any saddle, then it would be a flexible solution one that still has the support to keep the weight off his back. Definitely get a fitter out to make sure it is fitted properly, as that gives you the best chance of knowing if it will work for you or not.

At the end of the day, you can try before you buy, so nothing to lose. Best of luck with your horse!

kaiserchief

Visit site
You've nothing to lose in trying.

I've not personally tried a Solution but have tried many other makes, and my pony who I backed in a Libra Trec 4 years ago is still very happy in the same saddle. His back is excellent and the physio is really pleased with him. The only time he's been sore is when I decided to go treed to get more support for jumping. Despite being professionally fitted, it made him uncomfortable and we went back to the Libra.

Treeless saddles don't suit every person or every horse, and there are some out there that shouldn't go near a rocking horse! Same as treed really, there's no one size fits all, and if the manufacturer recommends using a particular pad, it's for a good reason and shouldn't be ignored.

Good luck! :)

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I've found that, as a short person, I end up with hip pain due to the wide twist that they all seem to have. If you have short legs, or hips that aren't that limber, you may find them uncomfortable.

ozpoz

Visit site
I need a narrow twist and ride in a Smart saddle from Solution Saddles. I won't ride in anything else, have used them for more than 10 years now and not had an issue with any horse. The opposite in fact - dodgy backs have shown improvement and remained comfortable with long term use. Like any other saddle they should be checked periodically - the manufacturers give their own recommendations on this.
I also agree there are treeless saddles which are frankly worse than useless and should be avoided at all costs.

benz

Visit site
The horses I take care of have solution saddles, apparently last summer they were misbehaving and a pony started bucking. I'm told issues stopped once solution saddles were bought although I'm sure a well fitting treed would also have helped :)

The horses have bodywork every 8 weeks and are constantly improving. Recently the pony started showing stiffness but physio confirmed it was not saddle and actually we are now looking at it being arthritic changes in hocks so not related to saddle at all. Last session he was back to usual self.

The saddles are very comfortable and everyone who comes riding with us comments on how lovely they are.

They are not at all like bareback riding, they have substantial padding underneath and a decent gullet.

The cobs saddle tends to slip so we use a limpet pad too and that has stopped the slipping. Not sure if we would have the same issue if it was treed.

If you have a chance to trial one i would say go for it.

Kat

Visit site
I have two solution saddles and I love them. My horse goes better in one than she did in her traditional saddle. We weren't experiencing saddle fit issues or back issues for our horse the reason we looked into a solution was because my husband was struggling to fit his long legs onto the saddle that fitted the horse, and it was a bit small for me too. A treed dressage saddle would have been impossible.

Despite the horse not having any saddle issues or back issues I could feel an improvement in her movement the first time I rode in the solution. It is also comfy for me and the husband to ride in.

I have had two different back people see her since we bought the solution saddle and both have been impressed by the condition of her back. She hasn't needed anything doing under the saddle at all.

I do low level dressage and hacking in my dressage saddle and have a jumping saddle for hunting, jumping and pleasure rides but I have jumped and hunted in the dressage saddle! It is very comfortable. My instructor has ridden in my dressage saddle and didn't have any negative comments.

I don't think you can include solution saddles in generalisations about treeless saddles as they are a bit different in design and have fantastic research and support backing them up. The fitters are excellent.

In my mind the only downside is the price!

I would definitely recommend trying one.

BlackRider

Visit site
I've just got one - the smart native, after having problems with the new saddle I'd got about a year ago.

they ride like a conventional treed saddle with a twist.

I've only used mine a handful of times so early days - but I'm really hoping that this solves the problem.