Some advice please

Ali0

Visit site
Heya!

I need advice as most of you know I just got a new pony and he is a bit green but very willing to learn and interested in everything.

Well i was wondering how you train a horse to go on a outline?
Do you have to use side reins?
I have tried using the correct aids but he has made it clear he doesn't unerstand so I think I need to teach him how.
He hasn't done much schooling in his previous home see.

So any advice appreciated.
Alice

Weezy

Visit site
I would thoroughly recommend you invest in some lessons with your pony - to get a pony into a true outline (I hate that term) ie: working correctly over its back and from behind all the power needs to come from engagement which comes from your seat - anyone can pull a horse into an outline (that is what side reins will do) but it is far more tricky to get a horse working correctly - you could work with a pessoa or long reins to develop the correct muscular form, but for now I would say lessons are your way forward - also some horses/ponies are conformationally VERY difficult to ride in what you call an outline - Good luck!

vicm2509

Visit site
I agree completely.

A pessoa will be good for getting the horse to develop the right muscles to work in a correct outline and will get the horse to work from behind.

When riding, as said above the aids need to start in your seat. The horse must be working from behind in an uphill pace, so use your leg and deepen your seat. Dont try and fight with the horses head as you need to allow the horse to relax, but you also need to keep a good contact. A gentle half halt should be used if the horse pulls or leans on you but make sure you apply your leg at the same time.

Ask your mum about some lessons, even one a fortnight will help. Explain to the instructor what you are aiming for but do expect it to take a while, if your horse isnt used to working in an outline it will take time.