Some bittersweet news for me to share

tigers_eye

Visit site
Yes, it's a while since I came in here! I find the new forum somewhat alarming so have remained in Comp Riders ;-)

Yesterday I heard that my old SF mare Deconometrie had given birth to a colt. It's a long story, but when I retired her from eventing (she was placed at Advanced and **s) I spent 4 seasons trying to breed from her, with just one success, her now rising 3yo filly Decadance (by Mill Law). This was all very expensive, especially as we don't have our own land, so I accepted defeat and loaned her to a lovely home to be a schoolmistress. Sadly her bit of stiffness had developed whilst being a broodmare (or not) and she wasn't up to it. I was resigned to having her put down when I went and had a cider or 3 with the breeder of a lovely horse I had for a couple of years, D Day. She asked if I would gift her the mare which I agreed to, with the proviso I had first refusal on any offspring. The breeder was talking about throwing her in the field with her Connemara stallion, but over the winter she was given/lent Catherston Goldstorm (also getting on a bit, in fact both my mare and him are 19 this year!). So him and Deco spent last Spring and Summer frolicking away along with one other mare, and now she has had a colt! I am delighted, and hope that all goes well for mother and baby. I plan to come over to the UK soon to meet him.

So, I am delighted she's managed to produce another offspring, but sad that I didn't manage to breed another from her myself!

Reactions: JJS

Irishlife

Visit site
Now that is what I call an outcome given an option was PTS. So glad that she bred again and how lovely for you to follow foal progress and know your old girl still has what it takes:)

tigers_eye

Visit site
I can be a softie, but a retirement of being chucked in a field year-round would not have done this girl any favours, so she was literally days away from it. And if she hadn't got in foal it would have been a similar story as the lady who now has her understandably isn't running a charity. She is the mare in the mare-and foal pic in my sig, and the dark bay in the middle two pics is D Day, who is actually distantly related to Goldstorm, so all rather familiar! Whilst being a supporter of AI I must somewhat reluctantly say this is one up for "nature's best"!

seabiscuit

Visit site
What great news, look forward to the foal pics :) and thank god it was goldstorm rather than a connie stallion,!! ( nothing against connies but am sure you wouldve preferred something with more TB/sport horse blood?!)
Will they try again with getting her in foal after this one has been weaned?

tigers_eye

Visit site
I don't know, Missy is so small that Deco and a Connemara probably could have produced a fab sports pony between them! And nowt wrong with a bit of pony you know, William has exmoor in him!

MFH - no need to go into that, I still remember being told when my grandmother had been found in a man's bed shortly after moving into a nursing home!!! And they said she wasn't quite all there...

Alec Swan

Visit site
tigers_eye,

what a delightful post! Specifically, your response to MFH9! You two should be ashamed of yourselves! I suppose that it will touch a nerve with all of us who aren't as young as we once were. VERY funny!

Your mare? I, for one, applaud you. That was a result.

Alec.

lozziehumphreys

Visit site
What fantastic news!
I have a twenty year old mare who is currently trying to have her wicked way with the yard's young stallion... The poor boy doesn't know where to look! :)

tigers_eye

Visit site
Now to wait and see if he's worth buying! What breeding from this mare has taught me is that it is usually much cheaper to go out and buy a 3yo! If I add up all my failed attempts with her and lump them on the Mill Law filly, along with all the livery I've paid out for her since birth and the vets fees she is far and away the most expensive horse I've ever had and I haven't even sat on her! I think she's probably cost more than the 9yo homebred has!

Visit site
Yes, it's a while since I came in here! I find the new forum somewhat alarming so have remained in Comp Riders ;-)

Yesterday I heard that my old SF mare Deconometrie had given birth to a colt. It's a long story, but when I retired her from eventing (she was placed at Advanced and **s) I spent 4 seasons trying to breed from her, with just one success, her now rising 3yo filly Decadance (by Mill Law). This was all very expensive, especially as we don't have our own land, so I accepted defeat and loaned her to a lovely home to be a schoolmistress. Sadly her bit of stiffness had developed whilst being a broodmare (or not) and she wasn't up to it. I was resigned to having her put down when I went and had a cider or 3 with the breeder of a lovely horse I had for a couple of years, D Day. She asked if I would gift her the mare which I agreed to, with the proviso I had first refusal on any offspring. The breeder was talking about throwing her in the field with her Connemara stallion, but over the winter she was given/lent Catherston Goldstorm (also getting on a bit, in fact both my mare and him are 19 this year!). So him and Deco spent last Spring and Summer frolicking away along with one other mare, and now she has had a colt! I am delighted, and hope that all goes well for mother and baby. I plan to come over to the UK soon to meet him.

So, I am delighted she's managed to produce another offspring, but sad that I didn't manage to breed another from her myself!

I can’t believe I have found this thread! The power of the internet..
I own Deco’s son , Pierre .
He is a wonderful boy and very talented just like his mother I gather ❤️

Attachments

• 4647291A-BF40-46E6-B05B-BF207215CFC8.jpeg
    4647291A-BF40-46E6-B05B-BF207215CFC8.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 76
Visit site

I can’t believe I have found this thread! The power of the internet..
I own Deco’s son , Pierre .
He is a wonderful boy and very talented just like his mother I gather ❤️

Visit site
It really was lovely 😊 I now know all of the history as I bought him from the yard he was born at x

Attachments

• CABB6DCB-FDEB-4932-AC83-3A0176F69E40.jpeg
    CABB6DCB-FDEB-4932-AC83-3A0176F69E40.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 20