Some questions about tack and turnout for BE...

khalswitz

Visit site
You can tell I've turned into a dressage diva, as all my bridles now have BD suitable bling on them. I know bling is not 'fashionable' at BE (Although am watching quite a few blingy browbands on the XC at WEG!), but is it legal? Rulebook suggests BD rules (excepting the one about plaiting bands) are in action, so I'd assume so?

Also, about ear covers. Geoff needs an ear veil when doing dressage outside as the midges drive him nuts. Current rulebook seems to say they are legal in the dressage phase as long as they are discreet and not brightly coloured, but everyone keeps telling me they are not legal in the dressage phase. IS this a rule update or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks all x

be positive

Visit site
The rule is clear that ear covers are allowed, the browband is trickier, it is traditional that tack should be plain and while you are unlikely to be marked down or worse I would be as discrete as you can, I was writing at BE when someone came in with a plain black saddlecloth, white was not actually specified in the rule book but considered correct turnout, the judge wanted to eliminate the rider for being incorrect which I felt was harsh, a quick check of the rulebook meant she was allowed to compete but some judges may be more strict on tradition.

khalswitz

Visit site
The rule is clear that ear covers are allowed, the browband is trickier, it is traditional that tack should be plain and while you are unlikely to be marked down or worse I would be as discrete as you can, I was writing at BE when someone came in with a plain black saddlecloth, white was not actually specified in the rule book but considered correct turnout, the judge wanted to eliminate the rider for being incorrect which I felt was harsh, a quick check of the rulebook meant she was allowed to compete but some judges may be more strict on tradition.

That was my wondering - it's not specifically stated, so would I be in error? I wasn't sure as it seems rules are the same as BD in terms of bridles, outwith the specifically stated no diamond plaiting bands... and I've definitely seen coloured brow bands cross country before. Both my bridles have sparkly brow bands, so will mean a right hassle switching between them on the day (I only have one plan brow band, somewhere in a box, so would have to switch it between the two...)

Annoying.

Good about the ear covers though - relief!

be positive

Visit site
About as clear as mud really, they are permitted but not liked so are avoiding banning them which I am sure they would if they could get away with it, you will have no problem wearing one for sj/ xc the use of coloured numnahs etc is fine so some bling is no problem, it really depends on the stewards and judges in the dressage, most wont have a problem with it especially at the entry level but they will prefer a plain one.

only_me

Visit site
Can you not contact the secretary? I couldn't remember so I gave the event sec a quick ring just to check if a diamanté browband was allowed in EI.

Darremi

Visit site
I (and many others I have observed) use brass clincher browbands for eventing on a regular basis, both at National and FEI events. I cannot see how diamante is any different. To the boring traditionalists out there I say wear what you like where it's permitted :).

You are definitely allowed ear covers. The only issue is you cannot have any sort of logo/picture/flag/writing or branding on the ear cover for FEI events.

Edit: file:///C:/Users/Phoebe%20N%20Martin/Downloads/07_Chapter_7_-_Competitors__Dress__Saddlery_Equipment.pdf

See Rule 7.19.3.4 (on p56)

Last edited:

Henry02

Visit site
I've done be in a black or navy saddlecloth. I don't use white ones as they get filthy so quickly, and then done wash up nicely.

If anyone tried to eliminate me for that they would be told exactly where to go.

Darremi

Visit site
Somebody did Kentucky CCI4* with a black numnah this year. I think it possibly one of the Canadians.

I just think the white saddlecloth looks so much smarter but each to their own :). And I agree about the dirt. The dye comes out of my saddle on to the saddlecloth!

khalswitz

Visit site
About as clear as mud really, they are permitted but not liked so are avoiding banning them which I am sure they would if they could get away with it, you will have no problem wearing one for sj/ xc the use of coloured numnahs etc is fine so some bling is no problem, it really depends on the stewards and judges in the dressage, most wont have a problem with it especially at the entry level but they will prefer a plain one.

Yeah, looks like they've avoided saying 'permitted' but equally haven't outright banned them...

I can understand if they aren't 'liked' but are legal, the same way white gloves are still preferred by some judges still despite rules being legal for dark gloves too. But I have done PC comps before and been warned on my life that I if I didn't remember to change my browband I'd be eliminated, so wanted to make sure it wasn't like that!

Can you not contact the secretary? I couldn't remember so I gave the event sec a quick ring just to check if a diamanté browband was allowed in EI.

I wi double check, to be sure.

I (and many others I have observed) use brass clincher browbands for eventing on a regular basis, both at National and FEI events. I cannot see how diamante is any different. To the boring traditionalists out there I say wear what you like where it's permitted :).

You are definitely allowed ear covers. The only issue is you cannot have any sort of logo/picture/flag/writing or branding on the ear cover for FEI events.

Edit: file:///C:/Users/Phoebe%20N%20Martin/Downloads/07_Chapter_7_-_Competitors__Dress__Saddlery_Equipment.pdf

See Rule 7.19.3.4 (on p56)

I was loving all the browbands beaded in country flag colours on the XC at WEG today, made me think we should be allowed our sparkles!! We have been totally converted to dressage diva sparkles, and whilst I am very aware they are not everyone's cup of tea I love my horse in them :)

Yay about the covers - my friend must be behind the times!!

I've done be in a black or navy saddlecloth. I don't use white ones as they get filthy so quickly, and then done wash up nicely.

If anyone tried to eliminate me for that they would be told exactly where to go.

My friend competes BD in black on her grey as she thinks it's smarter - I probably agree. She's never had any trouble either :)

Somebody did Kentucky CCI4* with a black numnah this year. I think it possibly one of the Canadians.

I just think the white saddlecloth looks so much smarter but each to their own :). And I agree about the dirt. The dye comes out of my saddle on to the saddlecloth!

I agree it looks smarter - something about white (clean white) is just more eye catching. Same with a coloured horse with a lot of white or a horse with very white stockings. However I only use them to compete as they get so dirty!!! These people who use white numnahs and bandages for every day, I salute you...

Tnavas

Visit site
I don't like the large white dressage squares as I think they split the horse in two.
Personally I don't like saddle blankets at all, or numnahs, I don't even own one!

A saddle shaped numnahs is much smarter.

Mike007

Visit site
I don't like the large white dressage squares as I think they split the horse in two.
Personally I don't like saddle blankets at all, or numnahs, I don't even own one!

A saddle shaped numnahs is much smarter.
Yay!!!!1 Someone that thinks like me !I hate those dressage white squares .They were only brought in to carry a logo. So if no logo, why???? They simply reduce the surface area from which a hard working horse can loose heat. In hot weather I don't use anything under the saddle ,so that air can circulate through the gullet . Makes a big difference. Numnahs and suchlike do not make a saddle more comfortable for a horse .In fact it is usually the reverse. They just keep the saddle clean. When I was racing we just used tea towels to reduce the risk of transferring ringworm etc.Oh yes ,and if your saddle doent fit without a saddlecloth ,it doesnt fit WITH one!