Someone tell me not to flap..

Lintel

Visit site
Our farrier in unwell and is isolating, possibly for two weeks.
My boys are always done every 7 weeks.

They will be at 9 weeks probably longer... by the time they are done and the wee man's feet(barefoot) are looking hella long, he hasn't been out walking/wearing them down on tarmac due to ongoing lameness (?arthritis, vet currently dealing with it)
Hipo is shod front only and although needing done, hasn't had as much growth.

Most things I'm fine with, in fact most things I really don't worry over but feet are one.

They will be fine.. right?
Anyone else in a similar position?

SEH

Visit site
They will probably be fine. Personally I would find another farrier just for this time, but probably not easily doable in the current climate. If your farrier was worried I am sure they would have told you to find someone else for this time. If you are worried, then talk to the farrier and maybe send him pictures of the feet so he can advise if you need someone out ASAP.

Last edited:

JJS

Visit site
They'll be fine. Yes, it's not ideal, but going two weeks over when it sounds like you usually take wonderful care of their feet is unlikely to do any harm.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Our three had to have their trimming schedule delayed by a few weeks due to the current situation as well. It worked out fine. I would just keep a close eye on things and be prepared to try a different farrier in the interim if really necessary.

SEL

Visit site
I'm heading 3 weeks over and now trying to find someone else. I think usual trimmer just doesn't want to work (which is fine but I wish they'd said!). Like you I've got a nervous one so will just have to see how it goes

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
My two little natives are both barefoot. For a number of reasons they ended up going 13 weeks without seeing the farrier. I was looking at their feet every day, and I swear it looked like they were crumbling before my eyes! I was convinced their toes were ridiculously long, their white lines were hideously stretched etc etc. Anyway, farrier came yesterday, and their feet are absolutely fine! He didn't trim them.at all- just a quick rasp. So basically, don't over think it! For the barefoot one at least, nothing awful will happen in Just a couple of weeks

Reacher

Visit site
It's not difficult to learn to rasp their hoof to at least keep the toe short and tidy up any chipped bits. I'm sure they will be fine until you see farrier but why not ask him to show you how to do it when he comes? It is a big comfort to know that if something prevents him coming for a while, you can look after their feet until he does come.

fusspot

Visit site
The 4 that my farrier does-2 are mine-have to be done religiously on 5 weeks as get so much growth.Due to me being in the be careful category we decided to put back a couple of weeks as it was when lockdown first started.They went 7 weeks and were all absolutely fine.My farrier and I are really good friends and he always tells me that he has somebody that he can recommend if he is ill or injured, they do generally help each other out.The farriers do all have a traffic light system to work too and if it’s a horse/pony that has no health issues they are to leave them as long as they can go to cut down the amount of visits.If they are in yellow category- discuss with the owner and if in red category, they have to attend regularly as normal.If you are really worried, see if there is somebody that wouldn’t mind helping this once-even if just a quick trim off or clench tighten.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The barefoot one will be absolutely fine and for once, expecially if there isn't much hoof growth the one who is shod will also be fine. Ours don't wear shoes and are usually trimmed by the farrier every 8 weeks. He came in the first week of lockdown, as his scheduled visit and asked us to wait 10 weeks for the next appointment. The ground is so dry currently that it is like walking on tarmac, so feet are wearing down in the field.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For the barefoot one I would get a rasp and round the edges from the underside, so some length also comes off if the walls are overgrown. This will also bring the toes back.

For a shod one, I would pull the shoes if they are loose.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I had no response from my usual farrier so have gone with someone else, the toes were getting too long for comfort. Personally, I’d be looking for someone else unless you’re happy to just monitor for the next couple of weeks.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Mine are four weeks over. There's definite flaring going on and toes are getting too long. Farrier is coming and bringing his OH to hold, as one is still a twonk when tied up.

Given your circs OP I'd take the two week wait, so long as the farrier has promised s/he'll be out straight away, and so long as the poor soul is actually okay to do so!

Dusty 123

Visit site
I now people who have shoes on there horse and only get them done 4 months and there horse is completely fine and they aren’t lame. My horse gets done every 8-10 weeks my horse has very slow growing feet my farrier told me to leave it that long. She is barefoot in the back and has shoes in the front.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Don’t just monitor, get yourself a radius rasp or similar so that you can take the excess length off if needed in the interim.

https://www.equinepodiatrysupplies.co.uk/product/radius-rasp-original/

I don’t agree that the barefoot one will be necessarily be ok going longer. I am just getting one of mine back on track after the (qualified and registered) barefoot trimmer let her HPA go far too long toe/low heel. He has been sacked. You can break a barefoot horse with poor hoof care too...

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Echo the above get yourself a wee rasp and just roll the toes yourself if you are worried.

Don’t worry, my boy is at ten weeks so two weeks over and yes his toes are a bit longer than I’d like but the Farrier is out on Sunday so he will sort them then :)

Gingerwitch

Visit site
All the farriers I use have always arranged cover for their clients for holidays, or illness, is it worth texting to ask him if he has someone that covers for him.