Someone who can advise on land suitability

LHIS

Visit site
Does such a job exist? We are looking at a property with a bit of land (3 acres) but as it is low lying I want some definitive answers on whether the land is going to be suitable for couple of ponies.
When we went to view it one of the fields was a bit soggy looking in patches, but this was following a deluge of rain in the area and it was hardly surprising. We went again after a week of dry weather and it was better, but still soggy looking.
We've had the property surveyed and the surveyor noted that the land is low lying and the same area I observed looked soggy still. Is there such a person that might be able to advise on land suitability? If so, what type of job role would this be so I can hunt someone down.
The vendors tell me they've had horses on the land for 15 years without issue, but I want to be sure as the primary appeal of this house is the potential to have my pony at home.

Dubsie

Visit site
We've 3 acres, 2 of which are grass, one a wood with some grass, no stables and 2/3 of the land slopes down to a stream and is generally quite wet. We managed to keep 2 ponies on it 24/7 with a field shelter and cut 100+ bales of hay each summer for 7 years. If we had stables it would have been better, but it's do-able IMO. When we had 2 ponies and a horse, over a very wet winter 3 years ago, that was very much hard work and not recommended. However it really really depends on your land

JillA

Visit site
Check whether it is the lowest land in the area, as in the bottom of a bowl. If it is, and if there are rushes in it you will struggle - otherwise, if there is somewhere to drain TO a small number of land drains will transform it, for a cost of a couple of £thousand. A local ecologist or agronomist might help - look for an agricultural suppliers in the area, often located at or near a cattle market. (If you are anywhere near here BCW in Market Drayton have a good agronomist and he does site visits, for free if you commit to buying your products such as seed from them)

LHIS

Visit site
The land in question is quite flat. It is situated at the bottom of a valley which a river flows through. I suspect the water table there is quite high and as such any extra water just sits on top until it slowly drains away. Being in the shadow of the Peak District and between there and Manchester it rains a lot. I'm not convinced the land will ever be suitable for what I want it for.

JillA

Visit site
Could it be that the river overflows on to it? If so, it might be pretty useless for most of the winter, and a drainage contractor will help - look for agricultural or drainage contractors?

Dry Rot

Visit site
What is the soil type? I am unconvinced that clay soil is suitable for horses whatever the drainage as horses will cause compaction and churn up soil into a quagmire in wet weather.

The next thing is drainage. Water flows down hill. That may be stating the obvious but you'd be surprised how many farmers don't seem to know that! If the land has ditches, do they need cleaning and if cleaned will the water be able to drain away down hill? Or is water backing up because of problems down hill? In other words, are the down stream neighbour's ditches clean? The possibility of flooding from the river is also a point.

Most farmland in the UK has been drained at some stage. The land may need new drains (expensive) or the outlets of the old drains may be blocked and just need opening up (relatively cheap). Cleaning ditches to get water away (provided there is somewhere for it to go) is relatively inexpensive. I've transformed my farm by deepening my ditches by up to four feet, so what used to flood is now dry and productive, but that did entailed nagging my neighbours for nearly 30 years to do the same!

Is water flowing onto the land from land higher up? Be aware that water flows through the soil under the surface too in what is called 'the water table' (Google). That wet spot you are seeing is probably where the water table comes near the surface.

If the land has had horses on it for a long time, the soil may be compacted. It might be improved by ploughing and reseeding. Or it might not! A farming neighbour can be a tremendous source of this sort of information.

Be aware that farmers, contractors, and 'experts' see pound signs when the word 'horses' is mentioned. Always get competitive quotes before spending money.

Have you got a local agricultural college? I'm a bit out of touch, but DEFRA should be able to put you in touch with a farming adviser. You should get a soil analysis done anyway and that will stand you in good stead for years if there are trace element deficiencies. (Not usually a big deal. My soil is deficient in cobalt and copper -- easily remedied by giving horses access to a salt lick).

popsdosh

Visit site
The land in question is quite flat. It is situated at the bottom of a valley which a river flows through. I suspect the water table there is quite high and as such any extra water just sits on top until it slowly drains away. Being in the shadow of the Peak District and between there and Manchester it rains a lot. I'm not convinced the land will ever be suitable for what I want it for.

If the actual land is not much higher than the river level you will never be able to sort the issues of poor drainage although it does have some advantages when nobody else has any grass.. Sorry but its better to accept that and not waste money looking for solutions that dont exist. Contrary to common belief being low lying does not make land soggy there are so many variables and it is not unusual for the wettest spot to be relatively high up. If they have indeed been using it and it still looks ok that would indicate to me that there isnt anything to serious going on.

LHIS

Visit site
Thanks for the input all - it has been helpful and aided us in coming to a decision about whether to proceed with this property or not. We decided not. I got in touch with a local farmer who said that the land at the bottom of the valley where the property is is quite wet, and takes weeks of prolonged dry weather to dry out. He said geese and ducks congregate on the fields all year round, which is a testament to how soggy it is (they sift through the surface water with their beaks looking for food). He said the vendors have had horses on it, but used to rent land up the hill as well during the colder months. So all of the above, coupled with another disappointing survey report (why can't people look after their properties?! 😩) we have decided to pull out of the sale.
In the meantime our house is sold and our estate agents are piling on the pressure. I am going to see another 2 properties tomorrow just over the border into Lancashire with my FiL and his wife (husband is working away so can't come) so maybe it will be third time lucky!
I am finding the house search quite stressful and not the enjoyable experience I thought it would be. I am tempted to take our house off the market all together, but I know I will get the itch to move again within a few months, so we're going to keep going and hope we find somewhere.

JillA

Visit site
Sounds like a good choice. As regards yours, don't let the agent bully you into moving to something you are not 100% with, it's a huge commitment. Someone here has kept a purchaser hanging on for about 8 months - they have finally pulled out but they did wait and wait and wait

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I think you've made the right decision to pull out of the sale OP :) You don't want to knowingly buy into problems. We looked at a farm with a suspiciously boggy area full of reeds and I decided on the spot not to buy the place. Current house is at the top of a hill which means it's a bit windy on occasion but I much prefer that to the danger of flooding.