Somerford BE90: Survived. Just!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Agree very much about avoiding 'a bitting arms race' as can become self fulfilling and totally understand that she is responsive everywhere except on occasions during competitions. Have two like this but with them it is SJ rather than XC, their canter strides are so long, they have had to learn to adjust and be prepared to let me adjust if we are ever to get close to the course designer's intended number of strides. Like to resolve this early on as just becomes more difficult and critical as the fences get bigger. Plus you need it more and more as the XC gets bigger and more technical too. Phoenix has improved hugely in training and at events, Reilee is still getting carried away in the ODE SJ ring even through she can shorten nicely in training without resistance.

Developing the balance and strength for all situations helps the reliability of control as often the 'running away /through the bridle' is a defence mechanism when adrenaline /heightened awareness gets added in during a competition.

ihatework

Visit site
I need a plan for bitting. I am a tack dork. (Yet another huge gap in my knowledge) so I don't really know how different bits work beyond the basic: more leverage = more bit pressure. (And even that might be wrong!)

I started her ridden life in a snaffle and all my schooling and training was originally in a snaffle. Then when we started jumping she was too forward and she went into a Wilkie and then the gag which my YO at the time did tell me to use with a flash and a backstrap. Over the winter she went back into the snaffle ring on the gag (I just could not be bothered to change bits) and was fine all winter in training. But at Aston Le Walls I lost brakes and put it back on the gag ring but had forgotten all about the backstrap/flash...... Doh. Can you explain what they do and how they work? Or advise on other bits?

On a long ago thread when the backstrap and flashg first went on someone advised me not to get into a 'bitting arms race' which is a quote I have never forgotten though I forget who said it now. So I keep going back to the snaffle, and working hard in schooling. But I do feel I need an set of brakes for when she decides to tank off.

Incidentally in schooling at home she can go from canter to halt in a few strides with minimal rein pressure - she is very responsive. But she stops listening when she gets onto a XC course.

I have absolutely no issues with bitting up for Xc. For safety you have to have control.
You need to get to the point where you can have her in a nice forward rhythm, running and jumping from that with adjustments from your body and as little hand interference as possible. Perfect scenario I appreciate and difficult to achieve with the keen beans.

You definitely do not want to get into a head fight.

From your Xc photo you do look to be hanging on a bit and also the grackle is badly fitted.

What does Amber do when she bogs off - I.e how does she do it? Head up? Head down? Jaw & neck fixed?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
What does Amber do when she bogs off - I.e how does she do it? Head up? Head down? Jaw & neck fixed?

I am nor sure! In front of show jumps she sometimes throws her head up or side to side though she is much better since I have been allowing her to travel more and sitting back much more. For XC I don;t think she moves her head much - she just seems to ignore the rein completely. I end up sort of water-skiiing behind her.

Britestar

Visit site
From the picture, your 3 ring gag is doing no more than a snaffle really. Ring up one of the bitting sites and ask their advice. Personally I think a pelham with roundings has a lot going for it. Gives you control when you need it, and once you know you can slow down when you want to, then you don't hang on in the same way.

So many horses go really well in them, gives them confidence too.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my mare could be very strong out hacking and for the sake of safety i used a dutch gag bit with 2 reins. rode on the snaffle only rein most of the time as she could get very joggy if the bit was too strong but had the security of knowing i could stop if she tanked off by using the rein on the lower ring especially in the winter when she was feeling very jolly...