Something new learned every day

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
They do when there's a bird of prey around.

To be fair this 'fact' might not be entirely true , but Mr Farside loves to share this nugget of information with visitors ( you remember those don't you ?) and then watch said visitors spending hours intently , yet covertly , watching his flock for verification .
He also enjoys telling them that chickens cannot make eye contact . That's quite a funny watch with a guliable , yet determined , guest .

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm learning all kinds of very boring stuff about welding thanks to MrPF's current you tube obsession... when I say "learning" I don't think there's much fact retention going on.

Also Americans seem to very much enjoy provaricating around the bloody point in a flat droning voice. And I'm not sure how much more I can take.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm learning all kinds of very boring stuff about welding thanks to MrPF's current you tube obsession... when I say "learning" I don't think there's much fact retention going on.

Also Americans seem to very much enjoy provaricating around the bloody point in a flat droning voice. And I'm not sure how much more I can take.
Do the welding videos come with an annoying thumpy music background? My OH watches endless welding/other varieties of fixing methods/making tractors videos and the music thumps away driving me nuts ?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site

I feel your pain... I endured multiple chain saw repair videos.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Do the welding videos come with an annoying thumpy music background? My OH watches endless welding/other varieties of fixing methods/making tractors videos and the music thumps away driving me nuts ?

Fortunately not! I'm quite noise sensitive so he does go to headphones for anything that's really going to finish me off. Thankfully droning american welders don't hit the frequencies that make my mind implode! I'm going to watch some tv now and force him into his headphones because I'm done. ??

w1bbler

Visit site

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Well exactly! Not the ugly tree stump things this poor chap has ? I figured I just had to live with them (and did for years!)

If you don't trim them they can curl over and dig in the horse's heels as they move. Our farrier's knife cuts through them like butter.. I must ask him how he gets it that sharp.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I learnt this week that I am better than the rest of my department at google classroom-years of being reluctant to ask for help and just trying to work stuff out. I’m a lot better at it than most of the kids, I’m gobsmacked at their lack of knowledge!

About half an acre in our wood. Any new ideas how to use it (apart from pesto).

Wilt it like spinach, chop it up with a drop of oil in a food processor , freeze in an ice cube tray then use like regular garlic.

Gloi beat me to it.

emfen1305

Visit site
I didn’t know until last year that my horses ugly ergots could just be cut off ??
I used to struggle to clip and scissor round them hating the damn things!
nb. He’s my first cobbier horse so nothing I’ve owned has ever had visible ergots!

WHAT?! Oh my god I think this the most useful thing I have learnt all year, who cuts them off?! The farrier? I know you can cut the excess off chestnuts but didn’t know about ergots, my farrier is coming tomorrow I’m going to get him to do it!

ETA: in my excitement I didn’t read the rest of the thread and realised my question has already been answered but still, can not wait to get rid of them!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
WHAT?! Oh my god I think this the most useful thing I have learnt all year, who cuts them off?! The farrier? I know you can cut the excess off chestnuts but didn’t know about ergots, my farrier is coming tomorrow I’m going to get him to do it!

ETA: in my excitement I didn’t read the rest of the thread and realised my question has already been answered but still, can not wait to get rid of them!
This makes me happy ?
I’m not the only one! Yes I got my farrier to trim them off. He said if I put a bit of oil on them they might get or stay soft enough to just peel like chestnuts or trim myself. They were rock hard when he did them.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
In 1643 the Irish government introduced the Consonant Act , imposing a tax on the consonants used in a child's name when registering a birth . Vowels were free
Pre 1643 the most common Irish names were Wyndham , Gwynne , Ambrose , Randolph, Kathrynn and Phyllys .
Post 1643 they were Saoiraise , Maireiain , Caoiame , Ruaraidairi , Oisin , Aoife and Bunty ( not everyone was poor ) .

Fact