Something to stop mane rubbing

Basset

Visit site
I am starting to plan ahead for winter, sad i know!!! One of my horses has a full neck rug on both in and out the stable. The problem is where the neck attaches to the maine body of the rug it rubs her mane off, she has to have a full neck rug as fully clipped and competes also a bit of a hot head so helps with sweat. Do you think the nylon hood things will stop it rubbing or does anyone know of a rug that has a full neck but no hard seem between neck and maine body.
Thanks in advance

miller

Visit site
Don't do it!! I tried this last year for the same reason ...... more rubbing!

Only thing that stops it is no neck cover or at least turned back for some period of the day.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Yes a lycra hood will stop the mane being rubbed out by half neck or combo rugs

Its a universal problem, but can be solved by hogging!

I am going to try a hood on my boy as his withers get dandruffy from the friction

kbt2661

Visit site
I had this problem last winter. Turned them both out for a couple of months and when we bought them home, took rugs and neck cover off mare and gave her a brush and half her mane came out in the brush. EEEEEK!! Still hasn't grown back properly either. Will be interested to see the responses to this post.

Equibeau

Visit site
I tried the Lycra hood under the rug 2 years ago, it was no better, still rubbed the mane out. Last year I bought some standard rugs with no neck, and he kept his mane fine. This was after 5 years of having half a mane in Winter. I thought it was because he is so fine and thin skinned, but this year he has been okay. Wont go back to the full necks now.