Somewhat urgent

druid

Visit site
Brought Bob up to feed and he tucked into his dinner happily, brother went out to check on him and he's only eaten maye 1/4 of his feed (1kg of soaked oats, 250g of beetpulp, 600g of flaked maize, 100ml of soya oil and a tsp of salt). Normally he wolfs it down. He ate a carrot & a few pony treats when offered. The others have eaten thiers which is from the same soakings so it can't be off. Nothing obvious in his mouth, no reaction to palpitating his face/jaw. Stomach/gut sounds are normal. He seems a bit "off" but not hugely so. Normal temp. Now, he does have acidosis & possible stomach ulcers..maybe it's just a flare up? I double dosed him with his ulcer guard stuff and he's back turned out now (his acidosis gets worse if he's kept in as he gets stressy)...

Ideas???? He doesn't seem off enough to call the vet but still "off" if you get me?

GTs

Visit site
My first concern would be choke - make sure you can not feel any lumps in his throat. Second if he looks slightly depresse, I would either not worry and see how he is in the morning, or just starve him tonight give him a couple handfuls of hay in the morning, and then turn him out or do whatever you regularly do.

druid

Visit site
Def not choke - no lump and he happily ate solids other than his hard feed.

Can't easily starve him - if I keep him in he'll stress get an acid flare up and colic
crazy.gif
If he's out he got access to hay/grass!

LauraBR

Visit site
Fingers crossed it is something and nothing.

A friend of mine was worrying because her mare would not eat her tea this evening- friend stood mixing feed in her hands showing to mare until she realised tiny mouse was sat in feed bucket!!!!!!!!

Mare was completely terrified- even once little mouse had gone se would NO WAY go near her feed. At all. Was actually quite funny.

Obviously unlikely its the same thing lol but what I'm saying is it might be something silly.

There is always something to worry about with these bloomin animals
frown.gif

druid

Visit site
Nope...and with the rain it's more akin to a paddling pool out there!! They do have ad-lib hay..never stopped him eating his hard feed before though.

GTs

Visit site
If you can not starve him I would not worry - sometimes I eat too quickly, or too much and feel a bit grotty for 30 mins, and then I am fine. If he has bad ulcers, starving for 12 hours might do more harm then good - probably best just to monitor if it gets worse probably best to starve and review in the morning.

allijudd

Visit site
i changed rowans feed to ride and relax(heres hoping!) and he refused to eat it.....

he has now cuase he realised mummy wasnt changing it.....

i hope hes going to be alright....he might just be having an off day....mix a little more sugar beet in it tonight and add carrot and apples on the top to encourage him....i hope he feeling better soon.....