Sore ankles

pixie

Visit site
So I went riding again today and it was great - I even managed a few strides of sitting trot. However the main problem that I'm having now is that my ankles are incredibly sore! I don't remember ever getting sore ankles before, but they look to be in a reasonable position so I don't think their position has changed too much since when I rode previously.

Will I just have to stretch them a lot beforehand, are there any exercises in particular that I should be doing? Suggestions muchly appreciated by my sore ankles
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
i used to get sore ankles all the time, i can totally sympathese with you - its poor circulation, are your boots too tight or do you get problems in your ankles anywys? I used to find i was tensing my ankles without thinking about it. When you are riding around take your feet out of your stirrups and circle your ankles in both directions too loosen them up. Everytime you feel them starting to hurt you need to do this - make your instructor aware aswell.
smile.gif

pixie

Visit site
Thanks. I generally do have quite poor circulation, so it must be that, my boots definately aren't too tight. I did cirkle my ankles a bit, but I guess I'll have to start doing it a lot more.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
A common problem with poor circulation, but I find with lots of people, when doing sitting trot they brace their ankles to maintain a good leg position instead of allowing them to take the bounce. At home, try to massage the feet, ankles and calf muscles to improve the circulation, and as PG mentioned lots of suppling excersices, try sitting trot with out stirrups as well, or check the length of your stirrups, sitting trot can sometimes get you sitting deeper in the saddle and therefore make your stirrups too short. you may find that doing some sitting without stirrups, when taking them back they seem shorter. if that makes sense
hope this helps
Dawn

pixie

Visit site
I'd love to ride without stirrups, unfortunately this horse is so bouncy that its like riding a pogostick! Also, today was only my second time in riding properly in 3 years, hence only being able to manage a few strides of sitting trot.
I guess I'll just have to work on massaging ankles and circling them occasionaly.

Thanks for the advice:)