Sore hips :( any ideas????

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Ideas welcome :)

I came to riding late in my life and have a 16.3 ID x cob (chunky monkey!). I had to have a saddle made to measure for us as he is very big in the shoulder and I am lanky... We have a straight cut Farrington working hunter saddle which is longer than usual top to bottom and the knee and thigh rolls are in the right place for my long legs. Only thing is, after about half an hour in the saddle it makes my hips ache terribly. On occasions I can be riding for three or four hours so by then I'm really looking forward to getting off. I bought a cheap freemax treeless that is very comfy for me, great for pottering round the local roads and bridle paths but not for anything more as it gives very little security if your going down steep hills in the forest or out for a hoon. I bought an old GFS off eBay to see if any better but after twenty minutes hacking the hip pain started again :(

My RI uses a dressage saddle (bates I think) and I can't sit in that for more than half an hour... Sitting trot hurts lol

Anyone else had and conquered this problem??? How??? Please tell :D

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Have you tried shortening your stirrups? Also maybe ask a physio for hip strengthening exercises. I often have hip pain as I have a torn cartilage in one hip. However although I'm small and my horses wide (IDx and highland), I don't get pain when riding at all, just when I do normal stuff like sitting at a desk. I ride quite short, maybe that helps?

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I have a hip problem on my right hand side, along with lower back problems. It doesn't hurt when I ride, or when I am moving round, but some nights I can be nearly crying with the pain and the spasms in my back and down my leg - and it's always on days when I've ridden. I find that keeping active and going to the gym helps tremendously as I work on building up the muscle on the side where the pain is.

I have a bates dressage saddle which I love, but years ago I used to have a working hunter one and I had similar problems to you - I couldn't wait to get off because of the pain.

I hope you get it sorted - hip pain is horrible :(

Palindrome

Visit site
Have no first hand experience myself, but have heard that a narrower twist helps for hip problems. May be you could try a Heather Moffett hip saver?

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Have you tried shortening your stirrups? Also maybe ask a physio for hip strengthening exercises. I often have hip pain as I have a torn cartilage in one hip. However although I'm small and my horses wide (IDx and highland), I don't get pain when riding at all, just when I do normal stuff like sitting at a desk. I ride quite short, maybe that helps?

Mmmmm I ride long but if I shorten my stirrups I often feel that I look like I'm sat on a sofa chilling out hahaha. Tomorrow I will try the gfs with my stirrups up a couple of holes and see how that goes. Thanks CheeryP :)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
I have a hip problem on my right hand side, along with lower back problems. It doesn't hurt when I ride, or when I am moving round, but some nights I can be nearly crying with the pain and the spasms in my back and down my leg - and it's always on days when I've ridden. I find that keeping active and going to the gym helps tremendously as I work on building up the muscle on the side where the pain is.

I have a bates dressage saddle which I love, but years ago I used to have a working hunter one and I had similar problems to you - I couldn't wait to get off because of the pain.

I hope you get it sorted - hip pain is horrible :(

Ohhh tell me about it!!! Have also had lower back problems so it's a fine balancing act indeed!!! I think I will have to part with the WH saddle... It's stunning too - dark brown suede all over... :(

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Have you seen a Chyropractor? U may get some help and exercises to help. I get a really sore ankle if I go on long hacks.

Oh I have... And a Physio, and all the rest lol... Started Pilates a couple of months ago and that is def helping me. I'm really hoping its something I can beat as I want much more time in the saddle... Maybe I'm just asking too much of my old body! I'm very envious of those lucky enough to have been riding from being very young!!!

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
I had a 20 year break lol! My mind knew how to mount from the ground, my foot and leg weren't willing! I was looking at those gel seat savers that go on top of saddle, not got one so far but they look very comfy for long hacks, not sure one would be any help with hips if its the position when riding that triggers it. I do ride a little short though, hope you can find something to help

Nicnac

Visit site
I have found taking glucosamine everyday has helped my dodgy knee and hip. I poohpoohed the idea for ages but actually :eek:

Regandal

Visit site
I know how you feel. Nothing flexes like it used to! I was getting ankle pain every time I rode but have found that shortening my stirrups has helped. It felt odd to begin with as I rode long, but I am now used to it. Got an old Stubben saddle shich also helps .M

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have hip and back pain that stems from a pelvis (childbirth) problem. Do you have lessons? A good instructor may pin point a position problem. Also you may get some relief from flexi stirrups.

I do a lot of pelvic tilts and "hoolahooping" which really helps keep it to a tolerable level.

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Okay so, I have bought a heather Moffat hip saver online (Lovescobs I will keep you posted as to it's success or failure), am going to shorten my stirrups a little tomorrow, am going to pop into tescos en route home after riding (not during as I also cannot re-mount from the ground and they will not give me access on horseback!) to buy some glucosamine. Hmmmm wonder if I take double dose all week it'll start working by Friday lol. Thanks guys :)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
I have hip and back pain that stems from a pelvis (childbirth) problem. Do you have lessons? A good instructor may pin point a position problem. Also you may get some relief from flexi stirrups.

I do a lot of pelvic tilts and "hoolahooping" which really helps keep it to a tolerable level.

Hi there. Yes, I have lessons... Have had several RI's over last two years... Some of whom have been disastrous buts that's a whole other story!!! I now have a fab RI who has helped immensely... She understands my pain! Her mantra is... there's more than one way to skin a cat! I'm definitely work in progress but think my dressage dreams are doomed and I should perhaps forewarn my steed that show jumping may now be the order of the day!!! Not sure how he's going to feel about that lol as hard work is not his favourite pastime!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Riding from a young age does not help to reduce the aches :eek: I think I'm down to one sound limb now :D (right arm) Left knee jiggered from when I was a teenager and a horse fell on me on the road, right knee and ankle damaged through wear and tear (from riding) Left wrist broken four years ago and then tendon damaged later that same year. Still can (just) get on my 15.3 from the ground and ride for a good day, but oh boys my knees pay for it the day after. I would try different stirrup lengths and try and find a saddle make that suits you. My Jeffries saddle has a narrower twist than my (I think) MasterSaddler one, but sadly my mare is too fat for the Jeffries one at the moment.

Sol

Visit site
May be worth trying some different treeless saddles? My hips can get sore (I have a fairly narrow pelvis apparently) and my horse is, well, best way to put it is square shaped! He's not a huge wide horse, but his back is flat & drops off at the sides - makes bareback very weird :p I've got a Heather Moffett Vogue dressage saddle now though, and at first when I tried it I was worried that being slightly wider through the twist, it might hurt my hips, but it hasn't so far. I think the extra movement through the saddle helps to keep my back & hips looser as I ride. Plus, I can move the knee blocks on a daily basis depending on how I feel, and the seat is super squishy once it's warm, so it's very comfortable. It's nice & supportive, but not restrictive. I've jumped up to 3'6 in mine, done some XC schooling, and hacked in it (as well as dressage of course!) :)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Riding from a young age does not help to reduce the aches :eek: I think I'm down to one sound limb now :D (right arm) Left knee jiggered from when I was a teenager and a horse fell on me on the road, right knee and ankle damaged through wear and tear (from riding) Left wrist broken four years ago and then tendon damaged later that same year. Still can (just) get on my 15.3 from the ground and ride for a good day, but oh boys my knees pay for it the day after. I would try different stirrup lengths and try and find a saddle make that suits you. My Jeffries saddle has a narrower twist than my (I think) MasterSaddler one, but sadly my mare is too fat for the Jeffries one at the moment.

Oh my goodness... Ok I take it back!!!! Agree I need to find a saddle that suits me... If the hip saver doesn't work am going to sell all saddles (except the freemax as that's extremely comfy) and invest in a Wow saddle!

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
May be worth trying some different treeless saddles? My hips can get sore (I have a fairly narrow pelvis apparently) and my horse is, well, best way to put it is square shaped! He's not a huge wide horse, but his back is flat & drops off at the sides - makes bareback very weird :p I've got a Heather Moffett Vogue dressage saddle now though, and at first when I tried it I was worried that being slightly wider through the twist, it might hurt my hips, but it hasn't so far. I think the extra movement through the saddle helps to keep my back & hips looser as I ride. Plus, I can move the knee blocks on a daily basis depending on how I feel, and the seat is super squishy once it's warm, so it's very comfortable. It's nice & supportive, but not restrictive. I've jumped up to 3'6 in mine, done some XC schooling, and hacked in it (as well as dressage of course!) :)

Hi Sol. That's really interesting, thanks! I really love my treeless too. Made of memory foam so moulds itself to us both and the added bonus is that I get his warmth through it. Just no real support. I will def consider this next!

Ps I'm from Worcs but have done 3 riding hols in Shropshire Now and absolutely love it! You're very lucky :)

Sol

Visit site
Hi Sol. That's really interesting, thanks! I really love my treeless too. Made of memory foam so moulds itself to us both and the added bonus is that I get his warmth through it. Just no real support. I will def consider this next!

Ps I'm from Worcs but have done 3 riding hols in Shropshire Now and absolutely love it! You're very lucky :)

:) I love it when mine is really warm (if it's sat in the sun especially!) as it is a bit like sitting on jelly - although less wobbly :p
I didn't have my saddle fitted, as I tried one through a friend, but my new instructor is EE trained and one of their saddle fitters too, and is so helpful. I'm always on their facebook page/website forum & everyone including Heather Moffett seems so helpful. You can actually trial some of their saddles (for a week or two, not quite sure) through one website, which I think is fab :) I didn't need to as it just happened that my friend had one I could try, but that was my plan before I bought one.

Ooh, where did you go? (if you don't mind me asking!). Would be nice to do something different, and local-ish! :) We only moved here because my boyfriend has started at uni at Harper adams, but I really love it, we'll be looking to buy land here when he finishes uni for sure. It's much nicer than Cheshire, which is where we're both from! :eek:

Ellen Durow

Visit site
Ideas welcome :)

I came to riding late in my life and have a 16.3 ID x cob (chunky monkey!). I had to have a saddle made to measure for us as he is very big in the shoulder and I am lanky... We have a straight cut Farrington working hunter saddle which is longer than usual top to bottom and the knee and thigh rolls are in the right place for my long legs. Only thing is, after about half an hour in the saddle it makes my hips ache terribly. On occasions I can be riding for three or four hours so by then I'm really looking forward to getting off. I bought a cheap freemax treeless that is very comfy for me, great for pottering round the local roads and bridle paths but not for anything more as it gives very little security if your going down steep hills in the forest or out for a hoon. I bought an old GFS off eBay to see if any better but after twenty minutes hacking the hip pain started again :(

My RI uses a dressage saddle (bates I think) and I can't sit in that for more than half an hour... Sitting trot hurts lol

Anyone else had and conquered this problem??? How??? Please tell :D
Have you tried Pilates?

Jarrive

Visit site
I ride lots of different horses, and some horses I just find really cause my hips to hurt for days after. I'm only short, and it tends to be the big, large shouldered, big moving horses that do it the most - but annoyingly they're my favourite to ride!

I'm only 26 :confused: and I really hope it's just certain saddles don't fit me :eek: but I think it might be that I'm too small for their big movements :mad: (and probably block their movement in my hips too!)

May have to look into the hip savers too.....

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Mmmmm I ride long but if I shorten my stirrups I often feel that I look like I'm sat on a sofa chilling out hahaha. Tomorrow I will try the gfs with my stirrups up a couple of holes and see how that goes. Thanks CheeryP :)

That's interesting about the armchair feeling. The pain may be a result of your position. Can you post a picture of you sitting in the problem saddle (side view) with long and short stirrups? Sounds like the upper thigh may not be on properly, this will rotate the hip joint out too far and may over stretch the muscles etc. Or the stirrup bar may be positioned too far forward in the saddle for you.

If you could get a lesson with a biomechanics instructor it would probably help you. They have been invaluable to me and really identified all the specifics of my position which were causing problems. Most importantly they can explain how to fix things easily.

Hope you get it sorted, hip pain is miserable.

WetandMuddy

Visit site
I have arthritic knees and hips and I found putting my stirrups down a hole helped and I take a daily dose of Glucosamine and chrondroitin plus two ibruprofens before riding.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
How is the heather moffet hip saver?
I have painfull hips when I have a flare up, my Isabel dressage isn't a too bad with them but the gp saddles really hurt. Might have to save up for one.

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
:) I love it when mine is really warm (if it's sat in the sun especially!) as it is a bit like sitting on jelly - although less wobbly :p
I didn't have my saddle fitted, as I tried one through a friend, but my new instructor is EE trained and one of their saddle fitters too, and is so helpful. I'm always on their facebook page/website forum & everyone including Heather Moffett seems so helpful. You can actually trial some of their saddles (for a week or two, not quite sure) through one website, which I think is fab :) I didn't need to as it just happened that my friend had one I could try, but that was my plan before I bought one.

Ooh, where did you go? (if you don't mind me asking!). Would be nice to do something different, and local-ish! :) We only moved here because my boyfriend has started at uni at Harper adams, but I really love it, we'll be looking to buy land here when he finishes uni for sure. It's much nicer than Cheshire, which is where we're both from! :eek:

Hey Sol.. Sorry for the delay! We have been to Clun and Clunton - rode bury ditches and Sowdley Woods a few times - absolutely love it! I am also originally from Cheshire! Where abouts are you from?

slightlyconfused Re: Sore hips :( any ideas????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How is the heather moffet hip saver?
I have painfull hips when I have a flare up, my Isabel dressage isn't a too bad with them but the gp saddles really hurt. Might have to save up for one.

:( Unfortunately it hasnt yet arrived - hopefully I will have it tomorrow, and it wont snow (as forecast here) so that I can test it out. Have been taking Cod Liver Oil with added glucosamine, so i'm hoping that will start to help very soon too. Thanks everyone - I'll update re the HM Hipsaver as soon as I can :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had a bad hip for years ( I broke it) I have now had it replaced.
Two things help , Pilates ( one to one sessions ) and I must have saddles that are narrow in the twist .

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
I had a bad hip for years ( I broke it) I have now had it replaced.
Two things help , Pilates ( one to one sessions ) and I must have saddles that are narrow in the twist .

Pilates is definitely helping me - not one to one, but a very small group (5 at the most). Out of interest, what saddles would you recommend?