Sore legs from wet weather

ktj1891

Visit site
My mare lives out 24/7 and with all this rain and wet her legs have started to go bald. They aren’t swollen or any cuts and she’s not lame, but they are warm to touch.

Anyone have any recommendation of barriers I could get or experience with Lincoln mud ointment?

B8317649-1D19-4F8F-8CA6-6BD584214712.jpeg

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If they are warm they are getting infected, possibly cellulitis. Give the vet a call and get something like Flamazine to treat them. You really need to get her out of the wet for a while for them to heal. Once there is no infection then you need the barrier creams but you need to get on top of any infection first.

ktj1891

Visit site
If they are warm they are getting infected, possibly cellulitis. Give the vet a call and get something like Flamazine to treat them. You really need to get her out of the wet for a while for them to heal. Once there is no infection then you need the barrier creams but you need to get on top of any infection first.

hmm I thought so. The issue is I don’t have a stable. She’s on grass keep.

Shay

Visit site
If you can't get her into the dry you risk her becoming quite unwell quite quickly. You can't cover over already infected skin - you just seal the infection inside. As Gloi has said - get the vet out, get flamazine or similar. You might also need antibiotics. And I'm really sorry - but start looking for somewhere to stable her. This wet is unprecendented - even animals that usually cope out 24/7 will start to struggle in a sea of mud.