Sore mouth..

eventer28

Visit site
I bought a coloured sports horse type 8yo gelding from the sales. I didnt know any history on him at all. The seller told me he was a bad debt but was good under saddle. When we got him home and tried riding him it was clear that he was backed but diidnt have a clue about steering, he didnt have a mouth at all!! He was scared of any contact in his mouth and reared if you got hold of him. I had the physio and vet look him, the phsio said no problems and the vets removed wolf teeth. We gave him 2 weeks to heal and started to re-break him. We tried lots of bits and the only one he semi-liked was a KK sprenger duo plastic bit (straight bar). He is going well now but he tends to get sore lips because he is so dry in his mouth.. Does anyone know anything that i can put on his lips to stop them getting sore? vaseline doesnt work!! Can i do anything to make him salivate more?? he really hates the action of the snaffle and panicks.. Would a metal straight bar be better than a plastic?

samp

Visit site
Can you paint the bit in an edible paste to encourage him to mouth? I assume your bit is loose ring? You may need to try bit ring guards to stop rubbing

KatB

Visit site
The plastic type bits encourage dry mouths.
crazy.gif
Try feeding him sugar when you give him the bit. Also try a sweet iron type mouthpiece? Maybe more readily accepted than a normal metal bit, and should encourage salivation.
smile.gif

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I had a horse once who was very dry mouthed. I put him in a cherry roller and the copper rollers encouraged him to salvate. Im not saying this is the bit for him, but the copper or sweet iron would certainly help. Hope this makes sence.

eventer28

Visit site
Ok thanks! I would like to try a sweet iron type but which type of bit? A pelham? Remember he panicks with the action of a snaffle....
Cheers,
Ben

SpruceRI

Visit site
Try wrapping the edges of the bit in Latex (or similar rubbery material you can buy in small rolls from your Saddlers), as some horses just seem to get sore, whether they're the slobbery types or not.

hunteress

Visit site
rub some bonjella on also my dentist has a mouth wash you can buy to syringe into the mouth ask a qualified dentist, good luck.

vicm2509

Visit site
I had my horse in a sweet iron with copper peanut and it really encouraged him to salivate. He was in it for a few months then I put him in a normal loose ring french link and he continued to salivate and really accept the bit.

If you would like to give it a try I have a 5 1/2 inch you could borrow if you like.