Sore on back

Marnie

Visit site
I'm new here, so sorry if this is a bit of a messy post!

My mare has what seems to be a pressure sore right on her spine, just behind the withers. It came up after a 20 mile pleasure ride almost 5 weeks ago. It started as a large, painful swelling which went down with cold hosing and bute, to leave a smaller swelling behind the withers which she was very tender on. After 4 weeks, the swelling has almost gone, but she has been left with a patch of skin about 5cm x 3 cm sloughing off in the middle of a bald patch, right in the middle of her spine.

[image] [image]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d625b3127cce8bdaec42c87900000016108EbNWTdsxbk[/image] [/image]

It is less painful than it was. She has had antibiotics as the vet was worried that it would get infected. I just wondered if anyone had had experience of similar, and how long it took to heal, at the moment I can's see me getting a saddle on her in the near future. I am putting aqueous cream on it at the moment to keep it soft as per vets instructions. I have tried to post a picture, but don't know if it will work!

Thanks,

jen

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
The skin will be very soft and tender for quite a long time after it heals. You can help toughen it up with salt water and should use a very soft numnah (sheepskin perhaps) but I wouldn't rush to put a saddle on and I certainly wouldn't put on the same saddle you were using. I suggest that when the time comes to ride your horse again, you get her re-fitted to minimise risk of this happening again (apologies if you've already thought of this, but I thought I'd better mention it just in case
smile.gif
)