Sore paws in older dog?

Ignition

Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas/experiences of this? My 14 year old lab has always been funny about her paws - never liked them being touched, almost like she's ticklish. But recently i've noticed she hates walking across gravel and stones and always sticks to grass wherever she can. I've looked in between the pads as best I can without getting kicked in the mush :rolleyes: and can't see any sore bits. Rather confused, wondering whether it warrants a trip to the vets? I'm reluctant to do so as she hates the vets and often has to be sedated just so they can trim her paws, and with her age i'd like to avoid any stress/sedation if possible! :eek:

Thanks.

JoG

Visit site
Could it be more of a joint problem like arthritis?

I only metion it as our springer has elbow problems and has had his elbows pinned and he hates walking on gravel when he's feeling sore on them.....I put it down to the uneven surface causing more joint pain as his paws wobble about :(

JoG

Visit site
It might be.....Archie for ages would stand on one side of the gravel whining and then pick himself across looking very worrid :( I only realised it could be his elbows playing him up when i decided to wibble across the gravel in my (seldom worn) heels and realised how much it hurt my ankles!

My OH has made him a "drawbridge" out of some decking planks which he happily beetles across to go into the garden :D

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I know a couple of dogs that hate walking on gravel and concrete, usually dogs kept in houses or on sawdust/grass etc, I know others who have worn skin off their feet doing skids/pirouettes in kennel blocks :( if she's of an age I wouldn't bother trying to toughen up her pads, just indulge her :)

Maiziemouse

Visit site
My collie is only 8 but has always had sensitive paws particularly on gravel like this. Last winter she got something stuck in her front left paw and had to be xrayed as a result, the foreign body was soon removed but the xrays showed that her paws were actually quite mishapen with arthritis. After an initial blitz with metacam I have found products such as maxvita and Yumove have helped her. You can buy online so you could give something like this a go to avoid the stress of a visit to the vet, won't do any harm and may help improve her.

Brownmare

Visit site
My older boy Oscar has improved massively after starting on Stride joint supplement. His legs were getting a bit arthritic and he was definitely picking his routes carefully but now he is back to jumping fences again :rolleyes: