Sores behind knees

Janey5

Visit site
Hi everyone, I am struggling with some sores behind my hairy cobs knees. I first treated him for mites with pig oil and sulphur. This was a nightmare at the time because he wouldn't let me touch his legs! He had masses of dead skin that over several weeks I removed. Following persistent work on his legs he now mostly stands whilst I treat him. Seeing blood on his legs I finally decided to cut his feathers, with sissors, yes it has taken forever. He is still very sensitive. I uncovered several chronic sores behind both knees. I have spent 6 weeks washing with hibiscrub (at least weekly but more if bleeding) then applying, various ointments, such as sudocream, iodine spray, aloevera and dermagel. Whilst they are cleaner they are not healed. I just wondered if I should continue or if 6 weeks is too long to still have the problem. Of all the treatments I find hibiscrub wash say weekly plus iodine spray and then fly boots to stop him biting and any flies getting to the sores to be the most successful. Sadly everytime I think we are almost healed they bleed again. I am treating his legs twice a day, stabling overnight on a very light bed! I don't feel I can do anymore and am becoming exasperated. I've also had the vet out and had an invermectin jab. A farmer suggested louse powder. I've heard of wound powder too. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Surbie

Visit site
It sounds like mallenders tbh. What are you feeding him? Anything with biotin in is said to be a trigger, as it's an overproduction of keratin that causes it.

I don't use hibiscrub on mine because it's so harsh. I use warm salty water every day while it's bad, dry it thoroughly after then add an emolient to help keep the skin soft - at the moment I use aqueous cream but there are mallenders products out there. Others on my yard have had success washing with coal tar soap once a week then adding udder cream once it's thoroughly dry and reapplying once a day.

I don't think you can fix it entirely, but you can get it managed.

Ossy2

Visit site
Yip sounds like classic Mallenders to me. Hibiscrub, sudacream, iodine spray ect are probably the worst things you can use on it.
The blood is because the dead skin dries and then cracks, you need to keep the skin soft and moisturised.
If you are on Facebook there is a really good mallenders and sallanders group you can join, there’s lots of good advice on there.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
One of mine had pretty bad mallenders when she arrived. She struggled to bend her front legs it was so sore. I just removed any loose scabs and applied a moisturizer twice a day (can't remember which one, it was recommended on here) and it just cleared up and didn't come back. I assume that is mostly due to diet (I feed very little, no sugar, just minerals balanced to grazing analysis).

Janey5

Visit site
It sounds like mallenders tbh. What are you feeding him? Anything with biotin in is said to be a trigger, as it's an overproduction of keratin that causes it.

I don't use hibiscrub on mine because it's so harsh. I use warm salty water every day while it's bad, dry it thoroughly after then add an emolient to help keep the skin soft - at the moment I use aqueous cream but there are mallenders products out there. Others on my yard have had success washing with coal tar soap once a week then adding udder cream once it's thoroughly dry and reapplying once a day.

I don't think you can fix it entirely, but you can get it managed.
I was a bit worried about the hibiscrub! I'll change my washing and drying process and look for a cream.

Janey5

Visit site
Yip sounds like classic Mallenders to me. Hibiscrub, sudacream, iodine spray ect are probably the worst things you can use on it.
The blood is because the dead skin dries and then cracks, you need to keep the skin soft and moisturised.
If you are on Facebook there is a really good mallenders and sallanders group you can join, there’s lots of good advice on there.
I'll look up the facebook group - thank you

Janey5

Visit site
One of mine had pretty bad mallenders when she arrived. She struggled to bend her front legs it was so sore. I just removed any loose scabs and applied a moisturizer twice a day (can't remember which one, it was recommended on here) and it just cleared up and didn't come back. I assume that is mostly due to diet (I feed very little, no sugar, just minerals balanced to grazing analysis).
I think my boy has been sore and I have not realised how bad it was. I suspect the sulphur treatment was awful for him. It is good to hear of a story where the treatment worked. I'm doing his legs 2 x day so I'll change my system and let's hope it gets better. Diet wise I dont feed much and it is low sugar. He's not in work and is quite heavy!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine had chronic mallenders for a long time. All I do now is massage/comb in baby oil and we don't get scabs if its done regularly. Took me a while to get him desensitised, he was undoubtedly in pain. I get right down to the skin.