Sorrento manual clutch/towing question

Suechoccy

Visit site
I test drove a Sorrento today with a view to it being my new tow vehicle.

Good points: light steering, light on acceleration/brakes, very easy to drive, feels grounded on the road, nice driving position, big enough boot for dogs for short journeys.

Bad points:
Clutch (or DMF or both?) are on their way out. OH did the test of trying to pull away in 3rd gear, then releasing the clutch. It should stall the engine (does on the Fourtrak) but instead the clutch slipped and terrible burning smell which lasted for ages.
New clutch is £400 plus VAT so not a dealbreaker but googling Sorrento/clutch/burning smell, there are a few cases of people reporting a burning smell if they try to pull away under load up a slope with a trailer attached, etc. Caravan owners on forums advising people not to reverse Kia's with caravans attached but to buy motor movers for caravan instead. Stories of clutch/DMF woes costing £3000 to fix and still having a burning smell...

Which raises a question...

My home driveway is steep and narrow. I have to reverse up it, empty trailer attached. In 10 years I've not killed the Fourtrak clutch. However, if the clutch is a weak spot on the Sorrento, then I can see me killing it very quickly through having to reverse trailer (empty) up driveway, even if I start with a brand new clutch.

So am undecided...

clippi

Visit site
What age Sorrento? Never hada problem with the clutch on mine, however the engine has catstrophically died on me (it needed a whole new engine) which can be an issue with the 2007 model

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
Hi. I have a kia sorrento which was bought on the basis of its fab towing capabilities. It is. Lovely motor to be fair. However, for a 4x4 it's performance towing horsebox on even slightly muddy ground or slope is useless IMHO . The vehicle itself is so light it slides all over the place so I would hate to take it out in snow or into a muddy field. I also have a jeep (unfortunately only a two sweater van ) that tows the horsebox through anything and is fab. I put it down to the fact that it is built like a tank and a much heftier vehicle.

JoJo_

Visit site
I've got a 2005 plate Sorrento for towing trailer. It is a good vehicle and I am looking at trading it in for a newer one in the near future. On occasions I do smell a bit of burning if i've had to use the clutch quite heavily for steep hills etc but its also my 4x4 when its snowing so I dont use it for just towing and it is nice to drive.

paddi22

Visit site
I had a 2006 sorrento that had an engine go as well! It was cursed.

When it was working, it was very comfy to drive but definitely did get a burning clutch smell when reversing with a box at all. I have a trooper now and don't get that smell at all, so it wasn't my driving (which I had assumed it was)

I also agree the four wheel drive was rubbish and at shows I had to get towed from any field when grass was wet.

clippi

Visit site
Only once had a problem with getting stuck in deep mud on a field. On the whole the towing is good, and it also my everyday car. Although it's mpg is better now I have a newer engine in.

maisie06

Visit site
Why did they have to stop making Fourtracks?? I had 3, they were the best towing vehicles ever made!! Not refined in any way but so tough and reliable....I am currently looking for a new tow car, looked at Sorrentos and was put off by this problem, In fact I have almost given up on the 4x4 route and seeing as I only tow once or twice a month, an Ifor 505 and one welsh cob I am actually seriously looking at a Ford Mondeo estate...