Sorry - a feed question - long

horsegirl

Visit site
I feed him

1.5 scoops conditioning cubes (spillers)
3 scoops alfa a oil
4 ish carrots
2 apples
150 ml veg oil
some parsnip or swede
biotin supplement

and 2 likits (big) a week
split into 2 feeds and a decahedron
plus approx 5 sections of hay per day
He is turned out all day but there is very little grass.

Before I got him he lived out all the time and just had grass, he was quite thin but I have been gradually increasing the amount I feed him, originally he was on normal pony nuts and Happy hoof, then pony nuts & alfa a oil now 2 weeks on the conditioning cubes and although he has put on a little weight you can still see his ribs. He is worked for about 1 hour 6 days a week hacking or schooling or both.

I was advised that there is no point feeding massive meals as most of it will pass through undigested so should I give him sugarbeet on top of what he gets or reduce the nuts & alfa qty and then add some sugarbeet? He is a TB so I don't want to give him anything which is going to make him fizzy.

Any suggestions? I don't want him going into winter still thin

so03

Visit site
Sorry few questions.

How big is the horse?

What is your worming programme?

To be honest I'd increase his hay.

How much in weight are you feeding your horse? A scoop weighs varying amounts depending on what food you are using.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I think you could increase the cubes a bit perhaps to 2 scoops (stubbs scoops). He's doing a fair amount of work and these cubes tend to be non-heating.

What do you think about Linseed guys? I've been thinking about this for Finni this winter, after reading the H&H Lucinda Green Douglas Dorsey article.

Claireg9

Visit site
I would give him sugar beet too, but maybe give him two feeds a day of smaller amounts!
Extra hay also.
And linseed is fab stuff, i recommend.
Ow and likits can be heating as they have a lot of sugar in them so be careful!

horsegirl

Visit site
He does have 2 feeds a day plus some in a decahedron ball to eat after his evening meal or whenever he wants it during the night.

He is 16.1hh and has just been wormed 2 weeks ago.

I will try more hay but he gets 1/3 to 1/2 a bale a night already!

Do you really think 1 hr of work a day is a lot, I was worried he wasn't getting enough work?

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I think that the work load is fine.

sounds like you just need something extra to help him put on a bit more condition.

Perhaps try contacting a feed company. I spoke to Baileys and they were very helpful.