Sorry! A "how much?" thread

Annagain

Visit site
So, Charlie. As you've probably read by now he's on schooling livery and once they've assessed him will be on sales livery. We had a brief discussion about price when I dropped him off to which my answer was "as much as possible but as little as necessary for him to find the right home. I will be guided by them, obviously, but want to have an idea myself as well. He's an 8 yr old, grey, 17hh ISH type (breeding unregistered).

Lovely hack - 100% in traffic, open spaces, goes first or last. Forward but with brakes. I haven't taken him on his own for a while due to my issues but he was going quite happily and is again at livery.
Established on the flat (although doesn't love it - can be a bit lazy). He won his first ever dressage test but I haven't done any more since last year.
Pops a jump happily (I've not gone above 60cm on him due to my nerves but he can definitely do it. I have photos from before me of him jumping much bigger, including huge hedges hunting in Ireland) not done XC with me but I'm sure he'd be fine.
Been to riding club, camp (settled happily away from friends) and fun rides - not bothered by a busy environment or other horses coming and going, would stand on the trailer all day watching the world go by.
Stands on the yard on his own or with others, great to clip, catch, load etc.
Turns out with others (he's on a geldings only yard but no reason to suspect he'd be any different with mares) very friendly loves to play and groom others.
Neither a good nor a poor doer, just keeps a nice weight all year with very little management. Lives out 24/7 in summer and in overnight in winter so happy in or out. Can ride straight from the stable and he's no different.
Teeth, jabs, worming all up to date.

His one big issue is pigs. He will not go past them alone or in front. He'll go past very reluctantly and quite unhappily, behind. Unfortunately they're on a junction we have to pass on 90% of our hacks. This is why I'm selling him - not the pigs per se but they've made us lose confidence in each other and we're not doing each other any good any more.

He has fairly recently been diagnosed with very mild kissing spine - two locations that are a bit close but not actually touching on x-ray. It has been medicated and his vet records will be available to potential buyers and their vets. The vet is confident that with correct work, it shouldn't trouble him in future. He was 100% sound according to the lameness locator technology, he didn't take one lame step during his investigations. The symptoms that led me to investigate were a reluctance to lift his back legs, the right in particular (not in a kicky way but literally all his weight on it and wouldn't lift it) and bucking in canter. It was only ever one buck at a time, which I (a not so confident, 40 something very average rider) could sit. Since being back in work, the bucking has stopped. He is still not 100% with his feet but improving. He's not shod behind at the moment due to this and it coping absolutely fine without shoes. Both issues are fairly recent and before they started he was fine in both respects so I'd expect him to go back to being fine with a bit of work. He might need some light sedation for shoeing for the next few times until he learns it's ok again.

I feel a hunting home would suit him as he's happiest out with others having a jolly old time. Obviously it's the wrong time of year to sell a hunter though! I've done everything wrong in terms of getting the best price for him but we are where we are and I just want the best for him. Having said that, what I do get for him will go towards another so it needs to be as much as possible. Obviously this diagnosis (and its symptoms, which are on their way out, hopefully for good) will reduce the price drastically. I feel, (judging by adverts of similar horses at the moment) that without them he'd probably be a £10k horse. Would £5k therefore be totally unrealistic in this crazy market? The right home is the most important thing - someone who will understand that if either of these things start again in future, he's asking for help and not being naughty - but I'm wary of pricing him too low, attracting someone who thinks they can make a quick profit and him ending up being passed from pillar to post.

stormox

Visit site
Has he been vetted? Wind is often a problem in a horse that size.
I personally would find kissing spines to any degree a no-no.
He probably goes well hunting as his adrenalines up, and therefore any pain is masked whereas he might feel sore schooling.
Difficult to say a price, but remember you can always go down but not go up so its better to price a bit high.

bonny

Visit site
It doesn't sound like he would pass a vetting so if someone offers you 5000 i would just take it. The alternative would be to get him right and able to be shod which might be the better alternative ?

Annagain

Visit site
He would pass a vetting. He had a full workup at the vet hospital a month ago including the lameness locator and was totally sound. We only x-rayed his spine as I insisted something wasn't right with him. The vet was very surprised to have found what he did. I think he thought I was being a neurotic owner making excuses for bad behaviour.

Wind is fine, we haven't done loads of really fast work but it doesn't seem to ever be a problem.

It's not a case of him going well hunting and not anywhere else. I actually haven't hunted him (I don't hunt) but I just sense he's far happier out and about seeing the world (except pigs!) than doing circles. He goes very well on the flat but his heart's not in it in the same way as it is out hacking. The bucking in the school is only recent and has now stopped with him at schooling livery. If I was less honest I could not mention anything and a buyer would be none the wiser but that's not the way to find him a forever home. The only thing that's still a bit of an issue is picking up his back legs.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I personally think £5k for a horse with kissing spine is steep even in the current market, but he may make it ?‍♀️He may not be lame but for whoever takes him on, he'll be uninsurable for the KS (and with it being so recent, there's no 'proof' of longevity of current treatment) which is a gamble for the buyer.

I do hope he finds a lovely home though :)

Annagain

Visit site
I personally think £5k for a horse with kissing spine is steep even in the current market, but he may make it ?‍♀️He may not be lame but for whoever takes him on, he'll be uninsurable for the KS (and with it being so recent, there's no 'proof' of longevity of current treatment) which is a gamble for the buyer.

I do hope he finds a lovely home though :)

Yes the longevity is the bit that worries me. It's really not the right time to sell him in that sense but I just can't face getting on him again. He really hasn't done much wrong bless him but I've just never really clicked with him.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Yes the longevity is the bit that worries me. It's really not the right time to sell him in that sense but I just can't face getting on him again. He really hasn't done much wrong bless him but I've just never really clicked with him.

How about a loan with a view to buy? Price him at 7.5k, allow a six month loan to show the KS is not significant and in full work not an issue.

Annagain

Visit site
I'd consider it to the right home and could do it financially in the short term but the problem I'd have is where he'd go if he came back after I'd found a new one. My yard is full and I couldn't afford three there for any length of time anyway.

stormox

Visit site
If he is a paragon of a horse in other ways could you keep him (it would save the heartache of looking for another) and just avoid the pigs? Or address this issue with the help of a professional?

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I hope he finds a great home where he is understood. Personally I would not pay very much for potential issues to arise in the future. I hope it works out for you and the horse.

Trouper

Visit site
I have no idea on price as the market has been so lunatic for the last year or two - nor do I know if it is stabilising yet.

However, I would want, above all else, for him to go to a home where they understand how to manage a potential back issue with the right work - both on the ground and ridden - and not go leaping into medical intervention before they had tried all of this. Difficult I know when you have to assess the abilities of a buyer but I would not think a hunting home would be the best for him just now.

riversideeu

Visit site
I am not sure about price but do not be in a hurry to give him away. Your honesty about him and determination to find the right home for him counts for a lot. The fact that the vet thinks he should not have further issues is good. No horse is perfect despite many on here expecting it from their new purchase. His good points will outweigh his pig issue for many (my cob is terrified of them too but rarely meet them so it is not a problem) and the full back disclosure will rightly not put some off. He will be the perfect horse for someone.

McFluff

Visit site
So sorry to hear this update. Sounds like the best thing for you both, but I know how hard your search was, so hugs.
I’m another who’d be careful not to undervalue, as that increases the risk of wrong home. Hopefully your sales livery will help and guide you. Most people could happily avoid pigs…
Given that he has to work properly, the ideal would be a riding club type home, with someone prepared to do schooling and work him correctly. Not all hunting homes would do that…

Annagain

Visit site
Honestly, you're paying sales livery for him. They should be guiding you on all this as you're paying for their expertise.

They will, I just want to be prepared for that conversation. She asked me when I dropped him off if I had a price in mind and I didn’t know where to start.

Annagain

Visit site
If he is a paragon of a horse in other ways could you keep him (it would save the heartache of looking for another) and just avoid the pigs? Or address this issue with the help of a professional?
He is more or less but if you read some of my posts about him you’d see that despite this, we’ve never really clicked. He’s never really done anything wrong but I’m just not confident on him (and I am on other horses) Also, avoiding the pigs only allows for a very short or very long hack along a busy main road (and even though he’s fine on it, it’s just not very enjoyable) so it really scuppers us.

sport horse

Visit site
Pigs - most horses hate them.
Your kissing spine does not sound as though it actually exists - the vet said the spines were close but not touching. Probably, in view of the fact the hrose has not been worked that much, once he is fit and worked correctly they wil never be a probelm. There is always a risk but that is the case with every horse.
I would not LWTB - you nver know what you might get back - it may well not be the horse you loaned!
The market is still red hot and I would be totally guided by the people selling for you. Do not put a figure in their mind (5000 sounds ridiculously cheap to me) leave them to advise you. If you suggest a low figure, knowing the horse world they will put a friend in to buy and then sell for much more.

Annagain

Visit site
Pigs - most horses hate them.
Your kissing spine does not sound as though it actually exists - the vet said the spines were close but not touching. Probably, in view of the fact the hrose has not been worked that much, once he is fit and worked correctly they wil never be a probelm. There is always a risk but that is the case with every horse.
I would not LWTB - you nver know what you might get back - it may well not be the horse you loaned!
The market is still red hot and I would be totally guided by the people selling for you. Do not put a figure in their mind (5000 sounds ridiculously cheap to me) leave them to advise you. If you suggest a low figure, knowing the horse world they will put a friend in to buy and then sell for much more.

They’re not touching in the X-ray but he was sedated with his head low so the vet thinks they catch now and again rather than being a constant problem. They’re in the right area that they would catch when the back legs are lifting and in particular stretching out behind which certainly fits with the behaviour we’ve had since November.

SusieT

Visit site
Personally I would only take on a horse like this if it was gifted and then very reluctantly. He hasn't any reliable history of work above pottering, he isn't 'easy' (back legs) for a novice and he has a potential medical condition (I would consider getting a second opinion on those x-rays as they sound like they may have been over interpreting it to find 'something' but depends how close they were).
As a seller its incredibly difficult, I'd be thinking 2-3K for a vetted home and even then accepting it could go wrong.

Annagain

Visit site
Most horses hate pigs. They have an innate fear of them.

Such a shame about the potential KS, you’d have probably got quite a lot for him otherwise, he sounds fantastic.
Yes I know. His reaction was pretty extreme though. I managed to stay on and get home but I can’t get it out of my head and I’ve not been further than the end of the lane and back on my own since then. I can’t and don’t want to rely on company to go out.

He really is lovely, and I feel awful that I’m giving up on him but he’s just not my Mr Right. When he finds his person, I’m sure he’ll soar.

spacefaer

Visit site
@McFluff @Trouper
ot all hunting homes are ignorant idiots who gallop their horses around the countryside looking for hedges to jump. Most of our horses are schooled to Elem/Medium and would confidently jump round a course of show jumps in a well mannered style. We actually won an event with one of our Irish draughts the summer before covid.

Sorry @Annagain - just touched a nerve. I hope you find the perfect home for your boy. He sounds fabulous!

Annagain

Visit site
@McFluff @Trouper
ot all hunting homes are ignorant idiots who gallop their horses around the countryside looking for hedges to jump. Most of our horses are schooled to Elem/Medium and would confidently jump round a course of show jumps in a well mannered style. We actually won an event with one of our Irish draughts the summer before covid.

Sorry @Annagain - just touched a nerve. I hope you find the perfect home for your boy. He sounds fabulous!

I completely agree with you. Hunters have to be well trained and highly schooled for their riders to have control over them in a big pack. The reason I say I think he’s suit a hunting home is that’s he seems happiest out hacking in company. He’ll do the rest and do it nicely but you can tell he doesn’t love it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I really feel for you on this one. I'm afraid I'm among the many who wouldn't touch a horse with kissing spines which have been medicated. I'd also question the opinion of a vet who says it won't bother him in future yet had to be persuaded into taking the x rays at all. And his "I never feel I can quite trust him" description fits with a horse who is feeling them, to me.

Then there's the problem that you've got the kind of horse who could be sold on for a big profit without disclosure by anyone who he is sold to cheaper than he is worth without KS. And to top it off, if you loan him it would be a nightmare if he came back, and you don't know if they'll school him right or make the KS worse.

If he really must be sold, and I can completely see why you would do that, then I think I would leave it to the selling livery with the instruction it must be a private home with the best guarantee they can get that he won't be passed on. Then when he no longer belongs to you have to try to stop caring about him. These cases are never easy, I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
I could see him being worth a bit as a hunter …. Once he has done his rehab and shown himself good on the hunting field. It is more than possible that post rehab he won’t have kissing spine!

But as he stands at the moment - he hasn’t shown longevity (yet) and he hasn’t really done anything bar a bit of pootling about at low level.

Your run of the mill amateur will run a mile at the mere mention of kissing spine.

You’ll need to invest quite a bit of time yourself or £ to a pro get him to a point where he has good value.

Having not met or Sat on him I’m reluctant to put a value on him. I’d step back and let the sales livery advise and do their job.

Kaylum

Visit site
A dealer would probably buy him for £5k and put another 5 on him as everyone wants a big riding horse. So I would price him at 7k which dealers wont bother with to get some attention and discussions going. You want the discussions and people interest and then decisions can be made by the interested parties.

One of ours hated pigs as soon as she could smell them. She would rear and bolt. The first time she did it we had no idea what was going on. The second time as soon as she started down the lane she went off on one. We managed to get her a little better by putting some pig muck in a little pile in her field the rears went but the stepping sidewards, backwards was still there.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I wouldn't pay for a horse that has processes that you think could catch now and again. The pain must be unbearable.

Sorry I think the bucking, not wanting to pick his hinds up and the narrowing of processes are the start of problems to come. Medicating his back will buy time but won't solve the problems, you've not found the cause.

I hope you find him a nice home but I know I couldn't sell him.

Deltofe2493

Visit site
This is so tricky and I feel for you as my horse has just been diagnosed with quite severe KS but shows no behavioural signs, good as gold on the ground and beautiful to ride (70%+ dressage score). My vet is also confident corrective work & ulcer clear up we will see an improvement.

Could you do the rehab work, or pay for rehab livery instead (i've never had to pay for sales livery so not sure on costs). Then once he's been fully sound for 6-8 months look at selling him again with strong, clean history?