Sorry a very much needed how much post! Plz help!

crazyhorsegirl

Visit site
How much would you pay for a nice quiet 14.2hh schoolmaster but who is 14yrs old?

Do people think it is a good idea to buy an slightly older horse(i appreciate this horse is not old yet, but will be in a few years!) i am hoping to keep this horse for life but still is it a good idea to buy something older or am i just wasting my money as i would never be able to sell the horse on for the same amount or profit the same as you may be able to with a younger horse? Also do people find selling on say a 18/19yr old horse harder or impossible?

Just thinking of all possiblities!

Any thoughts, desperately need advice as love the horse but am in two minds as to what to do!

Thankies!

crazyhorsegirl

Visit site
He has done a lot and seems very genuine. Although the onyl worry would be that he has done a fair bit so there for lots of wear and tear on his joints etc

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Firstly Im not going to hazard a guess on value since Im not too hot on them anyway. It depends exactly what level of horse we're refering to anyway.

As for buying something slightly older - there is nothing wrong with it at all - particularly if what you are looking for is a real schoolmaster - some of them are worth their weight in gold. It's wise to know exactly what you're taking on (just as it is with a youngster to be fair) and having a thorough vetting should give a reasonable idea on this.

You of course arent going to sell a 19 year old horse for the same price as a 14 year old - well, its highly unlikely anyway; so no, they aren't really the way to go in terms of profiting. I have seen horses of that age change hands although my only experience of that has been in regards to grand prix-ish level dressage horses that are, again, generally passed on as school masters. However you say the horse would have a home for life so does that really matter?

We have a couple of high level dressage horses on our yard in their mid 20s and they're still happily schooling and teaching more novice riders the tricks of the trade. They aren't out competing as much but they're going strong.

If the horse is perfect for you, dont let his age put you off - 14 is nothing and you could have many, many happy years together yet.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You seem to be contradicting yourself in your post. You say initially that you will keep him for life but then go onto talking about selling an older horse?

A 14 year old 14h2" Pony isn't old at all, we've got one who is 28 years old on our yard & he competes around once a month he does either dressage or jumping & loves it.
Stroller, the famous 14h2" showjumper who won Olympic Silver competed internationally until 21 years old. Buying a 14 year old pony, as long as he's sound, would not be a bad move. It depends what you want to do or achieve. You could have loads of fun on a schoolmaster. Regarding selling on in a few years, yes it is more difficult to find an appropriate home as any animal begins to age but if you want him for life then it shouldn't matter to you.
There will however always be a market for a well schooled, steady, safe horse/pony. Any dealer will tell you that he can sell steady safe horses every day of the week, zippy firey headstrong jumpers etc are harder to place.
Good Luck making your decision.
smile.gif

spooks

Visit site
im going to look at a 27 year old 14.2 schoolmaster on saturday...obviously if he is suitable for what we are looking for he wouldnt be sold on again but i do have younger kids that could just potter about on him so his age doesnt bother me. in your case 14 isnt old nowadays but even if you were to sell on in 4/5 yrs and the horse is a genuine schoolmaster you wont have any trouble selling it i wouldnt have thought

crazyhorsegirl

Visit site
I dont want to have to sell him and the plan is to keep him for life but you never know whats around the corner and i have to be able to sell the horse if i got say into finantial difficulties, this a last resort but it always has to be an option.

He was lovely and i do really like him. So do people have thoughts on price?

By the way when i said schoolmaster i meant at riding club level. Hope that helps!

Thanks for your advice!

spooks

Visit site
im no good on prices sorry, but ment to say before ,he is also the right height to sell on at 14.2, they seem to be popular! should you buy him and have to sell on i think pony club parents would bite your hand off for him. there are a lot of oldies flying round jumping/xc courses where i live.

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
Without seeing him its hard to tell.
If we had a 14.2hh 14 yr old which is bombproof hack alone and in company. Jumping 3' courses, doesnt stop. Easy to handle, clip, catch etc. Well schooled and passes a 5 stage vet i would look at getting about £2500. A good 14.2hh is virtually impossible to find

madthing2spyda

www.saxonoak.co.uk
A good safe horse / pony will always sell, I dont think age comes in to it much. But you did say you would keep it for life the said about making a profit !!! even if you bought a young horse in 6 months - 6 years you could still loose money, it could get hurt and be lame, it could turn in to a pig to ride, not all good young horses stay good a lot is in the continues training at least with an older horse they are offen lets say trained (stuck in there ways) and less lightly to go wrong. Is you knowledge up to the on going training of a young horse?? ask yourself that question? have you the time to ride and school a young horse every day be it riding or ground work or would you just like a good horse you can get on 2 - 3 time a week....ask yourself the question only you and the people that know you and you indepth of equine knowledge can help you. I have both and oldie 22 who hunts, does long dist. rides etc and I have a 5 year old both I have owned from foals

pottamus

Visit site
Depends on the horse and you really. My last horse had to be pts at 32 years old, but up until that day he was fighting fit and hacking daily and was inclined to a bit of a bolt too!
smile.gif

Also think about you, your age and circumstances. Are you young and just starting off competing or are you getting back into horses after a break and want a steady eddie? Will you be keeping this horse for life or do you feel it is likely you will get another horse afterwards and need to sell it on.
There will always be a home for a schoolmaster, even at 18 years old etc...they are useful to a great many people.
I looked at a 16 year old horse before I bought mine...but I decided against it because I knew I would keep the horse for life so we were already a way down the line at that age. But the horse was a real schoolmaster and I felt that I would get bored after a while. So I bought a 5 year old and we have grown together and I know he will not go anywhere else.
Just some things you need to consider, in addition to what you want to do with it and your own riding ability.