Sorry another "am i too big" post

[59668]

Visit site
I'm 5ft3. Weigh 73kg (and losing weight)

Too big/heavy for a 14.2/3 connie? I'm not blobby at all....I'm an ex weightlifter so am sort of more... heavyset than wobbly!

[59668]

Visit site
Yeah that's butt naked not dressed to ride.
Hmm. He's chunky and fit and I really like him but being too big for him is my worry.

Equi

Visit site
As said i would weigh with the riding gear on first. My full get up (just light weight jods, boots and gaiters, hat) was 9lbs. Then add tack which can either be a lightweight wintec type or a decent leather saddle...which will weigh at least a kg+

When i was looking i asked the seller what weight she would allow on her horse on a normal day..and thankfully i was a stone under with gear and tack, but if i was over i really would have felt out of place. I weigh a lot more than i look because i too was a weightlifter so im not too blobby but weight is weight.

jkitten

Visit site
I'm roughly your height and weight and I would find that quite small for a purchase myself, especially if you ever want to do any kind of jumping. Are you attached to this particular horse, that you don't want to look for bigger?

[59668]

Visit site
I'm roughly your height and weight and I would find that quite small for a purchase myself, especially if you ever want to do any kind of jumping. Are you attached to this particular horse, that you don't want to look for bigger?
Not particularly... I'm looking at a lot up to about 16.2. It's just I really liked this one!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was 11st when I bought Rigsby, 15hh lightweight cob, I felt too big for him. All good though, it encouraged me to lose more weight. I bought him because he wasn't primarily bought as a riding horse, or I would have looked for a bigger one.

jkitten

Visit site
It sucks when there's a fly in the ointment of something promising! Can you set your search criteria to 15hh+? Then at least you know you won't come up against that problem again. Good luck!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think it depends on how the horse is built a girl next door has a 14.3 Connie and his quite heavy built and looks bigger than he actually is, I would say she is about your weight but quite a bit taller and she looks fine on him.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
A traditional stocky Connie would probably be fine, the more modern sportier models maybe not. Also depends on the Connie's age and health and what you plan to do together (a hack once a week doesn't keep them fit so you need to be well within their weight limit for that, on the flip side obviously a lot of jumping and fast work isn't great if your closer to the limit).

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That’s 11st 6. A big/over height Connie will be absolutely fine with you!
But I don't think OP hasn't specified whether he's the more modern spindly type of connie with little stick legs, or a bigger boned (more old fashioned) type?

It's not how well covered the top half is, it's whether he's got the necessary bone. I think that we all agree that a proper chunky connie with good bone should carry her with no issue.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I weighed around that as a teenager and rode everything from 13.2hh ponies upwards and no one ever even thought I might be too big. I could ride well which always helps, but having taught in riding schools for years someone that weight would be considered fine on a 14.2hh.

[59668]

Visit site
Thanks all. I think I'll give him a second ride and have a real think. On the other hand I rode a 16.2 this morning and felt like a pea on a drum!!
The 14.2 is chunky, but you're right I don't want to be constantly worrying about what I eat and how much I weigh.
Modest ambitions of eventing at 80. He's currently jumping at 100 so we'll within his scope.

Mari

Visit site
Too heavy but height wise you’re about right however unless you’re likely / prepared to lose enough weight & stick to it you should look for a more substantial breed. I know what you mean about being small on a 16.2. I’m 5’ & have a 14hh Welsh D & a 16,2 warmblood x ( fine build) & weigh 9 stone. Getting on & off my 16,2 is a struggle.

First Frost

Visit site
I weigh approx the same as you and have a 15 hand traditional, so chunky connie that I have evented to BE 100. He is 18 now and i have owned him since he was 4. He is fit and healthy my weight has never been a problem. I also have a similar 8 year old, never been a problem for him either.
A modern spindly connie might be a different story.

Mari

Visit site
Too heavy but height wise you’re about right however unless you’re likely / prepared to lose enough weight & stick to it you should look for a more substantial breed. I know what you mean about being small on a 16.2. I’m 5’ & have a 14hh Welsh D & a 16,2 warmblood x ( fine build) & weigh 9 stone. Getting on & off my 16,2 is a struggle.
Yay! Just been weighed at doctors, part of my OAP health check & I weigh 8stone 6lbs not 9st. I can keep having a glass of wine + nibbles before evening meal.