Sorry! Another CV thread - Cancelled events?

Expo

Visit site
Has anyone cancelled, or had a cancellation, of an equestrian event because of CV? Due to go to a small club dressage thing next weekend and was really looking forward to the outing after all the rotten weather we've had. At the moment, it's going ahead, but that may change. We are in a fairly low infection rate area (but that may change too, of course!). Any thoughts welcome. Hope you're all OK in the midst of the madness .........

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Just read on FB that Eventing Ireland has cancelled all events in March. Though I think that may be because of the stronger measures Ireland has put in place.

PurBee

Visit site
43 cases here in ireland and all schools, colleges and some government offices closed in the republic. Panic buying has occurred. most of the cases are transmission via travel...with a few getting it from confirmed cases.
london has followed suit with cancelling paddy’s day london events.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My observations so far are that small local events, clinics etc. Are going ahead. I can see why big ones involving travel and large crowds together might be cancelled or postponed. I think the risk from a local event held outside is pretty low as long as people are careful.

Expo

Visit site
My observations so far are that small local events, clinics etc. Are going ahead. I can see why big ones involving travel and large crowds together might be cancelled or postponed. I think the risk from a local event held outside is pretty low as long as people are careful.

Yes, this is a small local thing. Maybe 30-35 competitors in total with their fiends coming along to help out, but not huge crowds by any means.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would think the small riding club shows might go ahead, but the county shows are in trouble. My entries are still on my desk and I very much doubt we will be going to the first planned outing at Stafford County. It is gate money that keeps the big shows going not the entry fees.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
"My observations so far are that small local events, clinics etc. Are going ahead. I can see why big ones involving travel and large crowds together might be cancelled or postponed. I think the risk from a local event held outside is pretty low as long as people are careful."

How would people define "being careful"?

Reactions: JJS
Visit site
Racing in Ireland is going ahead behind closed doors. Kelso on Monday will be behind closed doors. One of the first agricultural shows up here has cancelled already - 5 weeks in advance of the show. How many more will fall?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
"My observations so far are that small local events, clinics etc. Are going ahead. I can see why big ones involving travel and large crowds together might be cancelled or postponed. I think the risk from a local event held outside is pretty low as long as people are careful."

BHS have cancelled their roadshow thing at Cavan

Shay

Visit site

Following NHS advice is probably a good start. Do not go (or for that matter do not go anywhere!) if you have upper respiritory tract symptoms with or without fever; or if someone you share a house with does. Cough / sneeze into a tissue and dispose of it - or onto your sleeve if you must but not onto your hands. Wash hands properly and frequently. Do not touch your face. Sanitize between times. Keep your distance from others.

None of this is impossible. The financial impact of this is going to be massive and - probably - world changing. Larger shows may cope - but smaller RCs etc will struggle much more if they can't get entries. If the show goes ahead I would say go to it - just be careful!

hobo

Visit site
Elf which agricultural show is cancelled? We have a trip booked to Ireland though mainly Northern Ireland and going to the Royal Ulster which still seems to be on at the moment.

gemisastar

Visit site
What about the bigger events like badminton etc? I guess just as likely as others to be cancelled, not looking good for badminton as not really that far away!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

Following the recommended hygiene advice and not snogging your fellow competitors like you normally would

DSB

Visit site
Australia,Sydney's Royal Easter Show,cancelled.Easter racing carnivals to go ahead without spectators.No gatherings of over 500 people from Monday

Chianti

Visit site
I think all events - large or small will be being cancelled very soon. As the numbers of infected people increases, and fatalities rise, the reality of the situation will hit people. At the moment it's a bit like the 'phoney war' at the start of WW2- it didn't really seem like it was happening. We have to face the fact that our lives are going to have to change quite dramatically over the next few months. The cancellation of equine events will be the least of our worries.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
None of this is impossible. The financial impact of this is going to be massive and - probably - world changing. Larger shows may cope - but smaller RCs etc will struggle much more if they can't get entries. If the show goes ahead I would say go to it - just be careful!

The difference, of course, is that the big shows will have already made massive financial outlays, which their insurance might not completely cover. RC's probably won't have spent a great deal yet this year on arrangements for shows, so if they do cancel, they won't have lost a lot. They will be albe to save their money until either later this year or next season.

J&S

Visit site
I am on the committee for a small local show in Devon and am worrying about spending money to get schedules printed when we may not have a show. Some things have been paid for already but I think there may be a case for damage limitation. Obviously it is a committee decision but it will be me who has to bring the subject up! If everything has calmed down by the beginning of June then it will be a shame to miss a year as we are at year 48 and hope to keep it going for the half century, though one might expect a lower uptake if we could go ahead. With the worst yet to come it is almost impossible to predict a situation at any time in the near or distant future.

Cob Life

Visit site
I don't compete in horses but I'm not putting any sheep, goat or dog entries in until closing dates for fear they will be cancelled

Bernster

Visit site
I kind of feel like equestrians do a fair bit of self isolation or social distancing anyway. We don’t come into close contact, often wear gloves (I suspect that makes no difference to the virus but that you touch your face less often) and many are doing stuff solo.

I expect larger gatherings to cancel but smaller ones or clinics etc might continue at least for a short time.

Selfish to say this I know (and there are way bigger issues at stake) but riding is such a frustrating sport - equine flu, hard ground, rain for months, injuries, now this. It’s a wonder we ever get to ride or compete!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Selfish to say this I know (and there are way bigger issues at stake) but riding is such a frustrating sport - equine flu, hard ground, rain for months, injuries, now this. It’s a wonder we ever get to ride or compete!
FWIW i was having a little internal moan about this yesterday. I know, I know, there are far far more important things but it definitely feels like pushing water uphill sometimes!

Winters100

Visit site
I think all events - large or small will be being cancelled very soon. As the numbers of infected people increases, and fatalities rise, the reality of the situation will hit people. At the moment it's a bit like the 'phoney war' at the start of WW2- it didn't really seem like it was happening. We have to face the fact that our lives are going to have to change quite dramatically over the next few months. The cancellation of equine events will be the least of our worries.

Where I am things have already changed. I closed my office last week and sent everyone to work from home. Borders are closed as are bars / restaurants / all non-essential shops. I would certainly not be attending any public events even if they were permitted - we all have to act responsibly in this matter. I am sure the UK is much like here - health system already almost at maximum capacity - a mass outbreak is a disaster. I live with a doctor who is an orthopedic surgeon, but he has already been told that he might be sent to an infectious disease unit. We don't mind as it is what he is trained to do in such situations, but I have to assume that if it gets worse we will probably both be infected at some point. Even without going to the infectious disease department the risk is high - he will soon be back from work after a 24 hour shift in the emergency room (yes, we still have those here) so of course he is in contact with many people. I will immediately wash his clothes etc, but we cannot avoid it forever. What I CAN do is make sure that I do not pass it on to others. I still go to the stable but I go at non peak times and I ask everyone to keep far away from me. I do not touch the taps etc without gloves, use my own buckets etc. I make sure that I use the bathroom before leaving home so I don't use the shared facilities, I stay outside as much as I can, and if others are in the feed or tack rooms when I want to go in I wait. If I start to feel the slightest bit ill I will stay home and self isolate. Others will help with the horses, they are out all day so it won't hurt them to have time off if necessary. I am used to being very careful about sickness, as if you live with someone who often does large surgeries on elderly patients you do not want to be giving them even minor colds, but now we need to ALL take care for the good of society. I am not saying we should panic, for example I would go to buy milk if I needed it but I would not go to have a browse around other shops. Also we should all make sure that others on the yard know that they can ask us to do their horses if they feel unwell. We have a fb group and many of us have offered to do jobs for anyone who doesn't feel well or just doesn't feel like going - the less of us that meet the better so I can gladly do a few jobs for others while I am there. Finally I would add please do not be offended if someone like me asks you to not come close - yesterday one lady stormed off when I politely asked her to step away. I was in the box putting the bridle on so I could not move myself - in such times the responsibility is with all of us and missing a few nice days out at competitions is nothing in the scale of things.