Sorry... another who tows with a Freelander Q??

Visit site
I know that there are always loads of these on so pls bear with me.

I have a Discovery at the mo, which I believe to be the God of all towing vehicles, but she's getting older and more demanding.

As I use the car for my journey to work I would like a 4x4 that is less agricultural and not so thirsty.

I usually event +sj my horse in the summer and hunt early autumn. I end up travelling 150mile round trips to get to decent events, so I need something a bit fresher etc.

I now only have 1 horse too so am thinking of a Freelander.
Now I know that they do not have the chasis and maybe clutch for proper towing but am wandering if 1 16hh mw and an Ifor 505 would be ok on a regular basis. I am concerned about the getting out of a muddy field and hill starting etc.

Anyone got one in the same sort of circumstance?? R u happy with it??

Thanks
grin.gif

allijudd

Visit site
Well, i had a freelander on loan while the disco was in for some work. It was useless, and no more economic than the diesel disco. Following an unfortunate accident with my diesel disco I upgraded to a 3.9v8 and had it converted to gas. Does the equilivant of 50 mpg £ for £ against diesel. I know some people do tow with the freelander, but personally I wouldn't. Im considering trying out the Kis Sorento. Apparently fantastic at towing.

Tangaroo

Visit site
Hi, i have a disco for towing and absolutely love it. My mother has a freelander which i occasionally use to tow one horse. All i can say is that it does the job ok, but doesnt feel nearly as safe and solid as the disco. I dont have any problem going up hills with the freelander, i tow a 16.2 with IW 505. I havent tried it out in muddy gateways yet. It is great to have as a spare towing vehicle if needed in an emergency, but i wouldnt want to tow long distances regularly with it. Probably a bit more economical for driving around town but when towing i would say the disco is better on fuel! hope this helps.

Iestyn

Visit site
I now have a Disco TD5 and absolutely love it for towing - wouldn't really want to tow with a much smaller vehicle now, and I only have a 16hh l/w TB to tow. I did have an auto Freelander TD4 before the Disco and at the time I was very pleased with it. As cb37 said it doesn't feel as powerful and steady as a Disco, but it did the job and was economical.

I'd say try one and see what you think of it solo and see if the dealers will lend you one with a towbar (if they have any) to try and tow with. I would consider going back to a Freelander after this Disco. The only prob with the Disco is that it is a very big vehicle to drive on a day to day basis and I often think it would be much nicer to have a compromise between a nippier little car and something that will tow - when I had the Freelander, it fitted the bill.

wanderersmelody

Visit site
I also wanted an ecnomical car to use 'around' town' as well as a car big enough to tow with. I bought an 03 TD4 manual Freelander and love it! I was told to go for an 02 or later as they had the upgraded BMW engine. I tow my 16.2 thoughbred in a Wessex Olympian which is heavier than the IW505 . I can't comment on the DISCO comparison having never driven one, but I am really pleased. I go to my friends from South Essex to Suffolk - approx 70 miles and it does a lovely smooth 50 on the M and A roads and a super 30 mph on the lanes. Fuel consumption seems pretty good to me too. I can get all the way to my friends and back on just over 1/4 tank. Also did a nice long run to Thetford forest and again, it was fab. It does lose a bit of power uphill but t certainly doesn't labour. It clearly gives my horse a good tow too as he has been known to sweatup a bit travelling but he's really calm and cool but then I think I probably err on the side of caution....
Good luck!

Visit site
Thank you all for your input.

SV I think you summed it up, I use the car to commute 5 days a week and to tow about twice a month. The Disco (which I love) is letting me down on the commuting front.

Will take the advice and go and test drive one.

Thanks
grin.gif