Sorry big winge about YO

gailt

Visit site
I have a new pony on loan to keep dancer company...dancer is really struggling when we seperate them and a, trots up and down pacing his field or b, if in stable will barge at it, Its had to be repaired 3 times in 2 weeks...I can understand Yo getting stroppy i probably would, but while i was riding the new ned,, i came back to see the YO hitting dancer in the face each time he barged his door...I said what are you doing, to which i got a long lecture about i need to teach my horse some manners!..and if i dont he will! also i need to WORK him ...a, his manners are great, and B, he is 18mths old, what can i do??? he is great leading, will back up, move over...rein back..has had a roller on , a synthetic saddle, a bit in his mouth and has had the long reins on twice...although he hasnt figured out its ok to go away from me...he will walk over tarpaulin, and wear it..lol...great with farrier...you can do anything to this baby, hes just really stressy when new horse is out of sight...what can i do..? I cant afford to move them at the mo (im at a really cheap yard)..and am i doing enough with dancer, im really starting to doubt myself now..he is my first foal, ive had from weaning...and to see YO hitting him when he was so stressed really hurt...he was soaked with sweat and looked like hed had a bath, it was dripping of him...any advice please...just what i need on xmas eve eh?

Happytohack

Visit site
Find a new yard asap - there is no excuse for hitting a horse in the face for whatever reason. In the meantime, if you are going to ride, just go for 5 mins and then come back and slowly increase the time the two horses are apart and until Dancer knows that his friend will always return. Your YO is a bully and a tyrant and should not be in charge of a hamster, let alone a horse.
shocked.gif
mad.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
That's awful - it's not the youngster's fault, he is just an insecure and probably quite frightened (well for sure, now) little horse. You may well have to do the gradual separation thing - or get someone/thing to stay with him while you go out. Poor boy, I hope he settles soon, and perhaps consider a move?

JaneMBE

Visit site
what a b*tch! Best way is too ignore horses that do that (I know it is annoying though) or a more humane method is water pistol

You could hang treats up in stable, veggies etc when you go out.

You have to be firm with YO and tell her that if the horse is hit again you will do the same to her. YO's are not god and some need to be told.
I would be happier if the horse was out and paced at least he wont get a bashing from some bully b*tch

cariadssogreat

Visit site
The sweat was probably from him stressing about being left. TBH - what about shutting the top door or putting a grill on so that he cannot barge the door. Also tell the yard owner to naff off about working the youngster - you have allready done more with yours than I have ever done with mine at that age and none of mine turned out bad!

_OC_

Visit site
That is I'm afraid not on...what gives him(YO) the right to hit him you might end up with a head shy horse...yes,granted he does damage when in,but, if you own a yard I'm afraid that has to be excepted that these large animals do damage....my cob jumped a gate and clipped the top doing damage to it...my YO did not come and beat him up for doing so,she said leave him in the bottom field where he had jumped into,and said it was only a gate and at least no injury to him....might be safer to leave him out..but, then guess you might be moaned if you do damage to the field!
frown.gif

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
my mare is the same with my tb, when ever he leaves she barges the door, taking it off its hinges once, we tried putting a strip of electric fencing along the top (only as she was getting dangerous) and she had one shock, not barged again still stresses but safelty inside stable now, is gradually improving, only needed the fence that once, couldnt think of anythin else, dont think would use it again though, thankfully she hasnt needed it

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You may be at a cheap yard....& I can understand why it's cheap, but you need to have serious words with the YO about their actions. Additionally you really need to move from there, it may cost you a little more but it would be a good investment.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I am absolutely mortified. Liveries at our yard know that if I cought anyone hitting someone elses horse (or their own) they would be off the yard so fast their feet wouldnt touch the ground (unless mitigating circumstances, e.g. said horse had bitten). Sounds to me that YO cannot be trusted. If he has hit your youngster while you were there, what does he do when you're not? I would find myself a new yard PDQ.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Although there is no way he should hit your horse I think he is probably sick and tired of mending the door... I remember we had a livery horse who used to literally pile drive through dry stone walls and my poor husband got sick of mending them. Imagine spending four hours rebuilding a wall in cold weather only to see the horse charge it flat...
Get someone to fit a grill on the door asap. It's unreasonable of anyone to expect
a youngster to stay in on his own without a grill.
Explain to your YO this should solve the problem and ask him to close it rather than whack him..

gailt

Visit site
Hi thanks for the tips guys, will be looking into a grill, although i tried shutting top door today to see if it stopped him, he then proceeded to sidewards body bash it...I cant win really, if i let him out he will pace the paddock, if i leave him in, he sweats up and tries to escape, a grill is a good idea, at least he could still see...im beginning to think a spell on a really busy yard would do him good what do you think?..