Sorry - Bit advice

Frazer

Visit site
I am really stuck, you may of read my other bitting posts! And am now back to sqaure one, my 9 year old tb mare is currently in a jointed loose ring snaffle with bit rings! When riding, everytime I even half halt she comes off her natural outline! I believe this is the jointed mouthpiece, and am going to change this but what to, she doesn't lean at the moment! I would like a bit stronger breaks than the current loose ring snaffle, i was thinking maybe a 3 ring gag ( 1 ring below the snaffle rein) so i have the extra control when needed! Any ideas?
confused.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
Sorry Frazer, I haven't seen your other posts. What do you do/intend to do with the horse - just jumping?

Are you SURE the teeth are fine? (& back?)

princesskelly

Visit site
sorry not much advice but my mare hates jointed bits so i ride in stright bar breaking bit for most things unless going on beach rides or something fast then i use pelham. i could'nt use 3 ring gag she hates them. but every horse is different. good luck
smile.gif

Frazer

Visit site
Hello! Yeah back and teeth both fine! Had them checked within the last 6 months, teeth rasped! She is doing a bit of everything at the moment, dressage, jumping, schooling, hacking the bit doesn't have to be dressage legal - as i dont intend to compete dressage yet!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Maybe you could use something with a lozenge instead of just a joint, which will take some of the pressure off the bars and put a bit on the tongue, if she is loosing her outline with even a half halt then is sounds like she is quiet soft mouthed, therefore using something harsher may cause more problems like backing off. Maybe you could use some more leg and seat with your half halts to keep her round, that way you can use less rein and hopefully keep her happy in a mild bit. If it really is the nutcracker action she is resisting then a straight bar may help. It may be a case of trial and error with mild bits before going another route.
Hope this helps
Dawn

Frazer

Visit site
Thanks very much again dawn! I am going to try and find a straight bar eggbutt snaffle and see how she goes in that! Any other suggestions welcome, espically about hackamores, keep thinking about going down that route! Many Thanks

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Its a pleasure. Hackamores can be quite severe because of the action.. However it is still an option to releive the mouth altogether. It will act as a leverage type bit so will raise the head though and this may cause her to hollow. Like I said it maybe trial and error for a while.
BTW hows the fitness training going?
take care
Dawn

Sal_E

Visit site
Yeah, lozenge might be a good approach. If you're wanting a bit of poll action, could you try a hanging cheek before the 3-ring continental?

I'd try lots of exercises to get her listening to your seat & back so that you can use less rein - in fact my instructor had me doing a good exercise today that really helps with downward transitions. In a nutshell, walk as slowly as you possibly can without stopping. The horse tries to stop or wiggle left or right until they really accept the leg-to-hand contact. Working through it so the horse ends up listening to each leg squeeze (i.e. dictating each stride) makes them come rounder - from this very, very slow/stride at a time walk, you can come into halt with no resistaqnce whatsoever. Then back up to an active walk & then same again. You can to this is faster paces, same benefit - gets the horse to accept the contact & really really improves downward transitions. Hope that helps.

Janette

Visit site
We tried all sorts of jointed bits but Star would always go above them and be tense. An eggbut mullen ponited us in the right direction and are now using a mullen myler.