Sorry everyone... following on from Windsucking Pony post yesterday

Blondie1

Visit site
Hi guys

Its only been 24hours since my post yesterday about my windsucking pony but i just have a quick update that maybe someone could shed some light or give me their experience.

So, i turned him out last night and he seemed much happier when i checked on him this morning.

This evening he came in to his stable to be worked on the lunge. I worked my mare first and whilst he was in stable all was fine.

Then i worked him on the lunge, he was a bit nutty (bucking and charging around) but putting that down to the time of year.

Any way after working him he went back in his stable to cool down before being fed and turned back out.

He immediately started windsucking : (

I remember reading a while back that this could be because the stomach acids have been agitated from him working and hence the windsucking.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you guys think its a sure sign of ulcers or stomach problems?

Is there anything i can do to make him more comfortable after working him? He needs to be worked as he a little chubster!

Thanks in advance

nuttychestnuthorse

Visit site
My mare does this- have vet booked to see her re gastric ulcers :/ do you feed hay whilst he's tied up/ in stable waiting to be lunged? Advice I've had is if they have something to eat before work small feed, hay there won't be acid in stomach alone to splash up at walls. My mare always has a haynet whilst on yard can't say whether it's helped because I've always done it as she's a fidgit bum! But it is the advice I always come across might help :)

Moomin1

Visit site
Mmm does sound like a possibility of ulcers.

My mare woodchews when I tack her up and take her to the school, but that is more anticipation I think.

I would ask my vet if that was my mare I think just to be on the safe side as it is strange it only seems to happen after exercise (if I've got that correct?).

Blondie1

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

When he was stabled at night he would obviously have hay before being worked but last night i thought that as he'd been stuffing himself all night and day that he'd be ok without whilst i worked my mare. So this was a new routine for him to stand in with nothing to munch on.

He hasn't actually windsucked after exercise up until last night but maybe thats due to normally having a munch before hand.

Should i push my vet to investigate possible ulcers or give my boy a few weeks to see how he goes? I really dont know what to do. He does seem much happier since living out (i know its early days).

Thanks again : )

Hippona

Visit site
I give mine a small fibre feed before excercising..couple of handfuls of chaff.....theory being that acid splashing around an empty tummy in trot and canter = not good.....the fibre is supposed to 'soak up' the acid as it were.

barehoofhannah

Unlimited forage (hay) when in stable is best, fed loose from the floor, have a look at Kerry Ridgway's stuff on ulcers. He's talked about accupunture and accupressure to resolve. PM me if you want any more information with your email address.

I had an ex-racehorse and she was so angry all the time, i think she was probably riddled with ulcers. I thought it was great if the hay net was sitting empty in the morning, didn't have to empty out the rubbish. Now I chuck loads onto the floor for my horse, which will be soaked for an hour if weight goes up to ensure that it's lower sugar forage.

There are probably accupressure points you could use and maybe see if there are any essential oils or herbs that he is interested in.

Chewing on stuff, anything to create saliva (cribbing etc) to break up the painful stomach acid, as they aren't like humans how only produce acid when eating, they have it 24/7 as their stomachs are designed to be eating foraging for food continuously.

I hope you are able to get it resolved.

Best wishes
Hannah

Blondie1

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I will give him a small feed and make sure he has access to hay prior to being worked and see how he goes.

POLLDARK

Visit site
It could be really simple. He may be associating the stable with stress/confinement habit of windsucking & goes straight into it (for him it is like a baby sucking his thumb for comfort in a situation that causes him stress). He may need a slow acclimatisation to stabling to get him out of the habit. ie take him into the stable for a few minutes & BEFORE he starts to windsuck take him out, keep repeating it lengthening the times involved.