Sorry for showing this, but is there any chance the horse survived?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I did a search on YouTube videos with Akhal-Teke horse races the other day, and I came across what I presume is a Russian video (for some, to me unknown, reason the sound doesn't seem to work?!), I now can't get it out of my head and feel that I have to ask if anybody on HHO knows if there is any chance that the horse survived?

Big WARNING! The video shows two horses racing against each other (in a way that made me think about Drag Racing), one of the horses have a freak accident and is injured.

For those who wants to know what happens, without having to watch:
At 0:11 seconds into the video, the jockey on the grey horse that is furthest away from the camera, seems to become somewhat unseated, in a freak accident the horse then do some sort of a buck, lands on the railing that is separating the two "lanes", does something like a somersault and at 0:25 seconds the camera view changes and you see the horse from the front and how one front leg is dangling, it looks as if the horse is finally about to manage to stop at 0:43 or 0:44 seconds, when the video is cut and the worst part is reviewed again and then the video ends.

[youtube]1PIITWzuutk[/youtube]

It doesn't look survivable to me, but in the vague hope that a HHO:er will see the video and write a positive reply, preferably with something like "I've seen such injuries before, it was just the muscles controlling the leg that was damaged (hence making the leg dangle) and we've patched them together again without a problem", I'm now posting this.

:(

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
..I have never seen anything like that in my life. :(
very upsetting, poor poor thing. I do hope it was put out of its misery quickly.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
Can't imagine why you posted that video and no, there was no chance that the horse survived that injury.

Mike007

Visit site
Sadly I have seen this sort of injury and If I was the course vet I would already be loading my gun.Sometimes a bullet is a kindness.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Can't imagine why you posted that video and no, there was no chance that the horse survived that injury.

As I said, I haven't been able to get it out of my head and in the vague hope that someone that knows more about injured horses than me (which probably is the majority of other HHO:ers) would tell me that I'm wrong to be so pessimistic, I posted it.

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com

You don't have to 'imagine'. OP made it quite clear why she posted.
She also plastered warnings all over it.
Can't imagine why you watched it if you were going to make comments like that?
No one made you and the warnings were pretty clear....

PingPongPony

Visit site
poor poor thing. I think that the tendons, joints, bones and muscles in that leg are pretty much shredded into bits. as someone else said, I do hope that the course vet has loaded their gun the second they saw that leg snap, and put the poor thing out of its misery quickly :(

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
You don't have to 'imagine'. OP made it quite clear why she posted.
She also plastered warnings all over it.
Can't imagine why you watched it if you were going to make comments like that?
No one made you and the warnings were pretty clear....

Thank you, I'd never seen anything like it before, and I just sat here and suddenly thought, what if I'm wrong? Maybe I'm feeling miserable over the images that keeps on showing up in my head unnecessarily. By the way, I didn't see properly what the image looked like when it showed up at the side amongst other YouTube suggestions, otherwise I doubt that I would have opened it.

Thanks for the answers, they confirms my own guesses, but oh, how much I wished for replies that told me that I was wrong.

:(

amage

Visit site
As others have said there is no way anything could have been done to help that horse. A combination of adrenaline and the severing of the nerves would have helped the horse until he was dispatched. With regard to severe injuries it is always good to remember that there are worse things in life than death for a horse.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I definitely agree that there is times where there can be worse things in life than death Amage, maybe I'm just shocked, I'd been watching a few videos and they were all lovely, then I obviously didn't look properly enough, and was just hoping that I would see more beautiful Akhal-Tekes, I opened the video and without warning, I got to see that :( . But to be fair, perhaps there is a warning in the video title, but since I can't read (what I presume is) Russian, I didn't understand that.

I also temporarily completely forgot, both that adrenaline sometimes can disguise the worst pain for a while, and about what can happen in the body if the nerves are severed, so that the signals doesn't reach the brain the way they usually does. Honestly, I know those sort of basic things, don't understand why I forgot it when I saw the video, typical bad timing to have a The elevator not going all the way up to the top floor-moment :( :eek: :(.

So even though it wasn't the answers I hoped for, Thank you HHO:ers, I'm sorry for showing it, but I do feel a little bit better now, having been reminded about that the horse hopefully didn't feel too much of the pain. As Mike007 said "sometimes a bullet is a kindness", and hopefully, those who were there thought so too.

stormox

Visit site
definately broken shoulder or something- but maybe it broke on the flat and thats what caused the 'buck'. These things can happen at any time, and its always amazing to me when you consider how fragile horses are for their weight and size that it doesnt happen more often with the stresses and strains we put them under.

TandD

Visit site
with the medical/veterinary science today i expect there would be a vet somewhere that would have a go at fixing the leg (i have found vets like to have a crack at most things - even if it is just to learn new things) and with a great many ops and lots and lots of time it may become stand/walkable, although never be correct and have problems later in life
however, along with everyone else on here, the best thing for the horse would be to be pts as quickly as possible 1. for the pain 2. the horse would have no life if they tried to save it (in short term and long term)

Visit site
The trouble with injuries that happen at high speeds is that everything shatters, bends and tears and no amount of glue, pins, plates, screws, bailertwine or duct tape will ever be able to fix it. The pressure exerted on the limb as it hits the ground compresses the bones and bends them slightly so when they break they really do shatter. That is why a racehorse will rarely survive a broken limb when galloping but a horse kicked in the field would as it would be a straight forward (mostly) crack or fracture of the bone.

When the soft tissue goes, like muscles and tendons, they rip and whilst it is easier to patch back together frayed edges than straight cuts the tissue will have been stretched out, ripped and then pinged back so quickly that not a lot can be done to fix it.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
is it only me that sees three knackered legs not one?

Yes. Hard to tell quite what's going on with the hind legs, but as well as the obviously broken left shoulder the right fore that the horse is running on is also broken below the knee. It could have been that one letting go that caused the 'crash'.