Sorry, not a nice subject

RubysGold

Visit site
Ok, so Ive started putting a bit of money aside every week/month for my mare. I cancelled her insurance (there was a post on here where everyone agreed with me that her insurance policy was pretty pointless)

Anyway, The thing I need to know, is generally how much money does it cost to PTS by injection and dispose of the body?

My mare is healthy and I pray that I still have a good few years left in her yet! But its important I know how much it would cost so that I can make sure I have AT LEAST that amount in my account.

putasocinit

Visit site
this is a strange post, if you cancelled the insurance you might need your savings if she became ill, if she lived for another 10 years the cost for pts and disposal would have gone up, if it twas me, I would get a credit card solely for the horse, use it sparingly so that the value increases, you have to be tough with yourself so see it as an emergency savings only, then should any nasties happen in life at least you have the credit card to pay for it and then just pay back the credit card. Whilst the idea is good to put away each month, you know that we always take a dip in to the savings when things are down.

Spring Feather

Visit site
How much did you used to pay for insurance premiums? You could put that amount away each month and then you'd have rainy-day money. At the moment euthanasia and disposal could cost you a few hundred pounds.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Okay, in NW Surrey the cost is likely to be:
Knackerman to bullet & dispose, cost approx £250 in total.
Vet callout out to sedate & inject, approx £180 - £230, knackerman to collect body £250.
(knackerman same charge to dispose of, or to shoot & dispose of)

No idea of hunt costs, as no hunt closeby.

No idea of crem collection costs as haven't used them.

HTIOH

ps: why not phone your vet, they will give you costings for the people they use to collect & also their costs, that would prob be the best, as locally, charges are very different.

RubysGold

Visit site
I cant get a credit card. you have to earn a set amount to apply for one as far as I can see. (I work but Im on a pretty low income) I will NOT dip into that account, that is her account, I will of course be prepared to pay vet bills out of it, that's the point of opening it :) But at her age, and with her pre-existing conditions, the insurance wont pay out for the things that will likely need treatment.

I have searched the topic before, but never once seen figures for it.

ConnieLove

Visit site
V.sad time :( we had our youngster PTS earlier this spring due to (later diagnosed via autopsy) an incurable genetic makeup. It cost us £440 for the pick up, cremation and ashes back and the actual injection (what is two different injections) plus vet call out cost us £150.

RubysGold

Visit site
Spring Feather: Insurance was £41 a month, which is going into the account now. Plus Im putting any extra I can in (20-30 a week when I don't have a lot of stuff to pay that week)

Thank you, Im glad I asked, I was thinking it would be £2k+ (when you have no idea, you just think big animal BIG cost!)

What does a knackerman do with the body? Are they cremated or???

Is the first injection sedation? And the second the actual injection?

connielove: sorry to hear about your youngster :(

noodle_

Visit site
my horse was pts last year.... costs were £450 for the cremation (shes now upstairs ;) )....and £200 for vet /injections.

if i have one of mine pts again it will be done via the vet - just wish its easier to sedate with less stress though as my last mare knew what was coming.

RubysGold

Visit site
Thanks Archie.

I don't want to go down the shooting route but its useful to know, thanks :)

I decided a while ago that injection would be my choice, purely because I think its important to be there for them when they go and I 100% could not see a gun pointed at my horse. It was a choice of not be there and let them be shot. Or go for injection, which although horrible I think there is more chance of me being able to stay till the end :(

I hope there are many years left before I have to face it. Ive not seen a dead horse and I don't want to either :(

Spring Feather

Visit site
I think if you can get your savings amount up to around £500 that should cover at least any immediate veterinary problems. Once you're at that amount you can keep putting bits and bobs away. If your horse does need vet treatment at any time do remember to tell them you are not insured. You might be in for a little surprise re the costs.

ConnieLove

Visit site
Oh and our knackerman did the cremation and return of the ashes. I know some send bodies to local zoo's for feeding animals, others cremate and sell on ashes as a very good fertilizer for plants or just dispose of them... different things really.

RubysGold

Visit site
my horse was pts last year.... costs were £450 for the cremation (shes now upstairs ;) )....and £200 for vet /injections.

if i have one of mine pts again it will be done via the vet - just wish its easier to sedate with less stress though as my last mare knew what was coming.

I don't want to sound insensitive at all. But is the box not huge?
I don't think Id want them back (though I would want to know that she was "dealt with" in a respectful way, I would take a bit of tail or something instead :)

I definitely don't want her to be eaten! And as someone who isn't in to hunting, I would rather no one from the hunt was involved tbh. I assume my vet would have phone numbers for people. I will speak with her about numbers :)

Thanks spring feather, I will keep that in mind, though I shouldn't need to worry too much, I wont put her through too much else (her front legs are bad, the surgery didn't work. So I wouldn't want to put her through surgery for anything as I don't think her front legs could support her. The only thing I would need to pay for I think are external wounds she might get that could need stitching

Last edited:

noodle_

Visit site
I don't want to sound insensitive at all. But is the box not huge?
I don't think Id want them back (though I would want to know that she was "dealt with" in a respectful way, I would take a bit of tail or something instead :)

about a square foot or more?

it was another £75 more to get her ashes back....when the times right i intend to scatter them on the beach...as we never got the chance to go :) thats why i wanted them back :)

RubysGold

Visit site
If you're going for the needle then the horse will almost certainly be incinerated. Where I live greys (regardless of how they are PTS) go to make glue.

Do they actually do that??? I always thought the glue thing was a joke?

about a square foot or more?

it was another £75 more to get her ashes back....when the times right i intend to scatter them on the beach...as we never got the chance to go :) thats why i wanted them back :)

What a lovely idea :)

Our Dyllan is on the window sill in our bedroom for now until we feel its right time to spread the ashes. The box is surprisingly small, ours is around 12'' wide, 10'' tall by 10''deep.

Im really surprised the box is small, though I shouldn't be I suppose, as most of them is burned away

Nudibranch

Visit site
Of all the horses we have had pts only one was by injection and I will never, ever let them do it again. Please make sure your vet does sedate first. Mine was too arrogant even when I asked, messed up and took over an hour to get it over with. No longer my vet unsurprisingly. Not nice but it happens!
I much prefer the knackerman from the horse's point of view. £90 round here to shoot and dispose. As they have nearly always had bute or whatever they do go for incineration or rendering which sounds horrible. But it is just their shell, their soul is gone and I always keep a lock of hair.

Love

Visit site
When my lad broke his leg, he was already heavily sedated before we decided to PTS so that the vet could properly examine his injury. Once we decided it was right to have him PTS the vet only needed 1 more injection. I wish i could have stayed with him as he went down but the vet strongly advised i didn't so my mum held him. She said it was peaceful and quick and i went and sat with him for hours the next morning. Think it was about £300 for removal and cremation and it would have been about £650 if we wanted the ashes back (we didnt want them)

They did send me his shoes and a plait from his tail free of charge which was nice.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Mine have been by injection. Every time, including other people's horses, had the sedation injection first.

The vet was about £150, including the injection.

The collection man was £130.

Everyone involved was kind, professional, and patient.

I pay the vet on account (p to a month after visit).

Collection man is always cash at the time.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yorkshire Equine Crematorium charged me £190 to come out at short notice on a Friday afternoon to shoot and remove a medicated cob this year. She charged me just over £100, if I remember rightly to remove a big ID one Sunday evening after pts by vet injection in an emergency. Sorry I don't remember what the vet charged, as the large bill covered other visits and medication. I certainly don't want the ashes back. All the horses are cremated, one way or another, she doesn't sell on for meat in any way.
A friend was quoted £600+ to individually cremate her youngster after a failed colic op by a different Yorkshire company, last year.

Cedars

Visit site
Was £150 for bullet and removal with one hunt, £200 for the same with another.

Never have them cremated so cannot comment on that. Much prefer the idea of them being part of the hounds as they run across the countryside!

fatpiggy

Visit site
This time last year, non-emergency injection and collection/cremation/disposal (no ashes returned) was about £560 for me. It may vary a little according to the size of the animal I think. I'd made the decision some months earlier and ring-fenced the money in a separate account. The crem took payment over the phone so I put it on my credit card and bless her, she earned me some Tesco clubcard points (as did the cat a few weeks ago).

KSR

Visit site
Here you go RG: my Maje, Sisko and Rhana..

e17429df.jpg

They weight 40-50kg each.. Each is full with cremulated remains (crushed to sand).. The caskets are around a foot cubed in dimensions..