Sorry-tow car question

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I have now fallen out of love with my disco. I am selling it once the next bill arrives.

I don't have a surplus of cash reddies lying about either sadly so my options are limited.

A quick look on adtrader for my price range comes up with a few options that I don't know how they tow or if suitable. I've always had discos before, love them for towing but not the constant visits to the garage!

So HHO, who would tow/has towed/would recommend/not recommend the following?

Nissan Pathfinder
Volvo XC90
KIA Sorento

Thank you

Peregrine Falcon

Visit site
My friend had one and had a few issues. Agreed nice tow vehicle but sadly out of my price bracket?

Supposed to be finding a bigger pony/horse for growing teenaged son too, going to need to sell a body part me thinks!

Michen

Visit site
My friend had one and had a few issues. Agreed nice tow vehicle but sadly out of my price bracket?

Supposed to be finding a bigger pony/horse for growing teenaged son too, going to need to sell a body part me thinks!

On the flip side my friend has just had to spend 5k getting her not very old Kia on the road.

Agree they are expensive though but plenty of older ones kicking around.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I'm looking for a towing vehicle and have pretty much decided on a Touareg. Cheapest one I've seen was less then £1k! Plenty around at 4-5K though how expensive repairs will get on cars that old I don't know. I am going to buy one with less than 100,000 miles on the clock and hope it lasts. I've seen them for sale with over 200,000 miles so here's hoping.

Peregrine Falcon

Visit site
I very rarely take 2 ponies in a trailer. Did it once for a show and had my ears verbally assaulted. Never again!

Theres always plenty of plus and minuses to every vehicle. My disco the latter?.

It's the repair bills too when they wrong. I've used the same garage for years and have a good relationship with them. I don't mind 2nd hand parts!

Ali27

Visit site
I’ve had my Ford Ranger truck from new (04) and it’s fab! Never let me down and just flown through MOT needing just two new front tyres! I only use it for towing now but for the first 12 years it was our family car. Absolutely love it!

scruffyponies

Visit site
I have come to the conclusion that I drive more often than I tow, so would rather struggle getting out of a field occasionally than put up with 4x4 running costs. For that reason I'll be towing with a family estate for the forseeable. Currently just about getting away with an elderly Octavia which tows much better than it ought to. Will likely try a Superb next - boot is so big that we might not need the trailer!

Roxylola

Visit site
I don't know much on car specs but I can tell you that often a 4x4 7 seater will be classed as a people carrier rather than suv for insurance (and possibly tax) purposes so even if you don't need 7 seats they may be worth considering

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
If you can get away with two seats my SWB Mitsubishi Shogun is classed as a commercial van and therefore much cheaper on road tax. It tows like a dream and I can get 4 bales of hay or all my tack and away day stuff in it with ease. If however you have more than one child to ferry around it will be totally useless ? good for dogs though.

Abi90

Visit site
I’ve just replaced my 16 year old Touareg with a newer one. My friend bought the older one for £2500 and it’s still going strong and still looks like a “new” car