Sound Suitable

CobMania

Visit site
My husband placed an advertisement in the local feed store for a horse, as some of you already know hes going to learn to ride and I was looking for a cob type as hes around 15 stone.

Well got a call tonight and the woman said she has an ex racehorse, now I did say I was looking for a cob type, yet she is still saying it would suit my husband!!

Now I know its all stereotype, but I thought ex racehorses were all tb types.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Some tbs/ex racers are well capable of carrying 15 stone or more. However, how light the person rides makes a big difference, so no I wouldnt say good for a heavy (ish) beginner.
I dont know how heavy my dad is, but I guess 15 stone at least. I have known 8 stone sacks of spuds wreck a horses back faster.

CobMania

Visit site
My husband has been on heavier type horses and he said he feels more confident and secure on them. I myself like the heavier ones too.

I would never dream of replying to an ad were someone has asked for a cob type, to tell them I have an ex racehorse. She did say it was at retirement age, which made me want to cry more lol

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Some people are very odd!
On the other hand, I replyed to a wanted advert, it ideally described an ex racer I had at the time. She sharply replied 'oh no, we wanted a cob' and hung the phone up on me. She only had to say....

CobMania

Visit site
His ad says

Wanted - 15 -16.2hh heavy cob type schoolmaster, must be suitable for a beginner and be able to carry weight. 5 star home waiting.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Woah!

TB yes he could carry him, but also likely to kill him!!

I love TB's from having polo ponies, but with the best will in the world they are not your quiet ideal first horse. Definitely one to avoid especially if the woman is keen to get rid of them!

CobMania

Visit site
I wouldnt be dreaming of getting a TB even for myself, my friend has one and shes had nothing but trouble with her and has ended up in hospital twice!

I want to give him confidence, not take it away

CobMania

Visit site
Got a call about a friesian but knew it was a joke call, so said that i would offer them £12,000 right now for it.....the silence was wonderful lol

S_N

Visit site
Sorry, you've lost me on the Friesian front
confused.gif

With regards to the TB, on top of what has already been said, if it's at retirement age, then it's likely that it is going to start costing a lot of money to keep it in good condition - feed and feet wise.....

CobMania

Visit site
A man called me saying he had a friesian for sale, that he would let me loan it for 6 months before i decided to buy it, I knew he was just making a crank call, so offered him the money

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A man called me saying he had a friesian for sale, that he would let me loan it for 6 months before i decided to buy it, I knew he was just making a crank call, so offered him the money

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you know it was a crank call?
confused.gif

meandmyself

Visit site
Not all TB's are maniacs that only know one speed. I know of at least 4 that are quiet, bombproof and very forgiving. I can't stand stereotyping!