SOUNDS PERFECT!!!!

darksided

Visit site
Oh my!!
ooo.gif

Sooty

Visit site
Hmmm. Not big on health and safety in the US, are they? We always wear hats when leading our yearling, he is (as are all young horses) unpredictable. I agree with you totally. The best combination is young rider, old horse.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who cannot see a pic - not even a square with a cross in it!

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a video - here is the text version.

FORT COLLINS - It is a dream come true for an 8-year-old girl after she won second place in a national essay contest.

Sheridan Lintz, from Fort Collins, wrote about how horses can be used as therapy for people with disabilities.

"They help injured soldiers learn to walk again," said Sheridan. "Most importantly they make people joyful."

Sheridan titled her essay: "On Top of the World."

"When they're in a wheelchair they see people's waists so when they're on a horse they feel like they're on top of the world," she said.

That's how Sheridan felt last week when she got a call from Texas and was told she had won a yearling. "I was so excited I started jumping in circles," she said.

The second place prize is named "Dream" and Sheridan says she is a perfect match. "She's just a little goofy girl," said Sheridan.

Sheridan must now learn to feed, groom and train Dream. Her father may also take on extra work to help pay for the new horse.

The first prize in the contest was a more valuable horse.

H-J

www.piczo.com
I had to watch with my hands half over my eyes! That little girl standing in the arena as it was charging round!! Must admit it was very well behaved but the girl was very young!

Kelly1982

Visit site
OMG that is so bad!!!

Not only have they given a yearling to a young girl who doesn't seem to know that much about horses, they have given her a horse that her family cant afford so it may be taken away from her anyway!!!

How is she gonna feel then?? Heartbroken!!!

GTs

Visit site
What is wrong with riding lessons?? Generally a good place to start when you are 8, and your family can not afford horses.

Sooty

Visit site
She may be eight, but it appears she can't do joined up writing yet. I was enormously distracted by the newsreader's face - it's more orange than an Easyjet air steward, and with about as much makeup...

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She may be eight, but it appears she can't do joined up writing yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

She is eight - lay off the kiddies.

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What is wrong with riding lessons?? Generally a good place to start when you are 8, and your family can not afford horses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cant agree more GTs!
Most 8 year olds would LOVE lessons,esp if her family isnt horsey.Would have been quite a few, and much more apropriate then a yearling.

We have a "win a horse" comp over here (yearly I thin ) in one of the big horse mags, not keen on it but at least they ask you to prove you could affored the horse and have enough knowledge to care for it.They also work pretty hard to find the right horse, not just buy one and send it off as a prize.

JadeWisc

Visit site
It doesnt matter "where" it happened....It is just ridiculous!
I just cant stop laughing at what a terrible idea and (sadly) dangerous situation it is. I prefer not to handle very young horses and I have been around them in some form my whole entire life.

GTs

Visit site
How can you 2 say that when the post above you says they have a contest in a magazine where you win a horse???

Also there was no explaination on the 'contest'? It seems odd that she got second prize in a national essay contest for kids and won a horse! More then likely the horse was a gift from someone who heard about her, and her essay!!

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Does that meanone that has been trained already instead of a yearling for an 8 year old kid to practise on? I have heard of horses as competition prizes over here but the competitions to win them have always been based on equestrian knowledge and have had practical tests as part of the entry. I have never heard of an unbroken horse being given away as a prize
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
Every year at the Midwest Horsefair they raffle off several yearlings of various breed for a $1 ticket
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
You do have to be 18 yrs to win though
wink.gif

I suppose it should be the judgement of the parent ,not the sponser, as to what is to be done with the horse. I hope that they have the common sense to find her an alternate solution. However, if dad and mom know very little, they may not be aware of the problems ahead. ( and the true cost)

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but didnt it say that first prize was a more valuable horse?????

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

HH - but again we do not know tha facts behind the contest, who is helper her, what discussion went on, or agreement was in place before the horse changed hands. Also I have ridden yearling QH - they are pretty mellow!!!

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
The first prize in the contest was a more valuable horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is in your earlier post GTs.

Do you think they will have found out who her helper etc was before they awarded the prize - it didn't sound like it from the clip.