Sourcing maxi cob/hw cob unbroken youngsters?

tobiano1984

Visit site
Can anyone advise? I've struggled enough finding 15hh cobs in england but now I'm looking for something bigger! Does anyone have a secret source of big baby chunks they care to share?! Colour not an issue, just preferably unbroken (happy with unhandled too) and 15.2+. I presume I'd have to look at Ireland...

Oh and I'm just looking for one or two to bring on, not a whole herd :) although an ongoing supply would be nice!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
You could try some smaller Irish Draught studs or possibly one of those foster mare providers who are bound to have some nice heavier youngsters about. Not sure of the name but know there's one over Newmarket way. You could also try studs that have their own foster mares so you'd be looking at something upmarket like Shadwell, Cheveley, Newsell Park and so on though some of those foals would be by TBs so perhaps not chunky enough. Failing that, Appleby!

figgy

Visit site
I've been looking for a oversized cob....not easy !!!
I got my last one from Ireland as a 3 year old he is 9 now, and has to be the best horse ever.
I've called the people I know in ireland but even he is having trouble.
I did find one but that's in new Zealand. Lol
I'm waiting on picking out a foal now when they are born as i know they are gonna be big enough, just going to have to do inhand showing till older ....good luck

AdorableAlice

Visit site
For proper cobs Ireland is where you will see the most. The ID studs might have something that has not grown on. Bridgeford Ferryman has got a few cobs from ID mares. Finding them will be difficult though. I put a top ID on my vanner mare and have got a maxi type but probably not enough bone which is surprising as the vanner has lots of bone. Cob breeding is nothing but luck, certainly not science.

I would be worth speaking to Miss Hinckley at Clip Clop Traders, this came from her, she has a good eye for one in the rough.

Martha1stOct12002.jpg

I found this bay gelding privately, the owner had no idea of what she had and sold it because it was rude ! It was a cracking horse and jumped for fun.

DSCF0086_zps607b5f51.jpg

I think there are no end of coloured cobby types but finding a nice, smart and correct cob is difficult. The coloured types tend to move like a 3 wheeled trike and can be so uncomfortable. You need a cob that moves from the shoulder not the knee, especially if you are old like me ! Shaken not stirred is no longer acceptable for me.

Good luck with your search.

Puzzled

Visit site
I have a good contact in Ireland. PM me with your email address. I'm over there in about a months time.

MrsNorris

Visit site
It's not easy, the market around here is saturated with coloured cobs of the worst type going for practically no money. Finding one with half decent conformation is like looking for hens teeth. I'm going to head to Ireland when the time comes, I'm just browsing at the moment as can't buy for a few more months.