South Africa

joosie

Visit site
Hi all. Just wondering if there's anyone amongst you who lives/lived in and/or is familiar with South Africa. I am currently planning an 18-month round-the-world trip (starting next spring) and have loved the sound of SA for a long time so it is going on my itinerary for sure! Any information is welcome - places I should go, things I should do, best time of year to visit, that sort of thing. Thanks!

jrp204

Visit site
We take 3rd yr undergrads to SA, we go, Gansbaai for shark watching, Betty's Bay for penguins, DeHoop reserve, beautiful place, lots of small animals no elephants, giraffe etc.. We then drive to Eastern Cape to Addo elephant reserve, loads to see there!

beryls2001

Visit site
Hi Joosie. I'm from South Africa. :) You will love, love, love it. What I can suggest depends on what sort of things you like. But generally speaking....Go to Cape Town and do all the touristy things - wine tasting, Table Mountain, etc. Then come up to Joburg - you are welcome to give me a call - for theme parks, night clubs, Soweto, bungi jumping, Apartheid Museum, lots of horse sport and lots more. There are spectacular beaches all over. The Kruger National Park is a must. Weather is pretty good all year round, at least compared to the UK. It rains in Winter in the Cape (March to August) and in Summer in Gauteng. Let me know if you need more specific info...