South west people (the traveller guy with the horse around devon

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Hi all john the traveller recently lost his old boy, artical below.

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....anded-Exeter/story-26057657-detail/story.html

PLEASE DO NOT DONATE TO THE PAGE IN THE COMMENTS.

3000 has been raised for john, and i have been in contact with some people that can find him the right horse, this should be with us sunday or monday next week.
He wants to replace his old boys harness too as he doesnt wish to use the same harness on a new horse, im hoping we can get a harness too out of the morning, if not i shall go on ebay.

now the bigger problem and why im posting this, john built himself a wagon, it is four walls made of wood, he done so it was light for the old boy (who was 28) to pull, he would now like to go back to a larger wagon that has a few bits in it and ideally a bed. I need help,.

we either need to raise more money, which im guessing is the first issue. but i need to find a wagon and i need some help, ive looked on the internet, and the gypsy wagons are either to big, or way to pricey so I thought id post on here and hope through contacts something may turn up.

ive got a car that can tow and will hopefully find a flatbed trailer to transport said wagon, so it can be anywhere in the uk, and i will pay the fuel myself to collect it.

the option would be to build something for him but again not something i can do, and john himself is 78 and unable to to..

i went to see the him yesterday id had a picture of his horse printed and framed for him, and took him a bottle of whisky. I didnt really plan to get so involved, but people were offering unsuitable horses and he was getting a bit over whelmed with it all, i have contacts in the gypsy community and felt it would be the best place to source a cob... so here I am.

Dusty85

Visit site
Well done you.

I live up near Bath now, but I grew up in Devon, and had a pony at Oaklands for a little while, so used to often see him about on that roundabout.

I have no idea where to start with locating something like that, but I will keep my eyes out for you just incase. Hope you find something.

madlady

Visit site
Buying a ready made living wagon will be expensive. A cheaper alternative might be to see if you can find a 4 wheel flat bed dray and then have the living built on top. That way you can go bow top or square and design the living space.

Is there somewhere to donate as I'd happily chip in

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Buying a ready made living wagon will be expensive. A cheaper alternative might be to see if you can find a 4 wheel flat bed dray and then have the living built on top. That way you can go bow top or square and design the living space.

Is there somewhere to donate as I'd happily chip in

john could build it but its a place like a barn to build such a thing and johns hands are a bit buggered with arthuritus,

ive googled everything gypsy wagons, shephards huts bow tops... the lot ive found an incomplete one a couple of hundred miles away but it was some months ago it was advertised. i figure if we can find an empty shell with complete chassis then we can easily kit it out inside. with caravan type bed etc

madlady thank you. for the moment weve suggested people dont donate, as a page was set up but a stranger and there was a bit of worry about it being genuine. the press are down there today to see him and were hoping they will run/set something up. the money currently raised is due to be with john on saturday this week, new horse will arrive a day or so after. he doesnt want to move on straight away, he wants to spend a couple of weeks getting to know the new horse and wandering it about so when he sets off they are both 100% ready for it. so we have say 3 weeks...

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I think there needs to be two axles, four wheels for stability. Building a bed is not such a problem as finding something which will meet his needs.
I will have a look on Dragon Driving.
http://www.dragondriving.co.uk/carriagesforsale-70437.html

id not seen that one on dd.. ive text it now.

as i said on other thread my fella has said i can use his car as it has a towbar (need to check weights) may have to hire a flatbed trailer, and im hoping my boss (delivery business) will donate me fuel...

B&J

Visit site
Do you have access to fb? There's a few driving groups which often have them for sale:

Horse carts & harness
Horses ,harnesses and carts and stud for sale ,wanted or swap
MTF Cobs

I know of a bow top, just trying to find out if its still for sale

_GG_

Visit site
What a wonderful thread and do let us know if there's anywhere we can chip in towards a wagon for him. I was so touched by the story when I read it in the press.

I'll keep my eyes and ears out xxx

fatpiggy

Visit site
I remember a "gentleman of the road" who lived on a roundabout in Cornwall with his old Romany caravan and horse. When the horse died, the locals clubbed together and bought him a new one, and when the old man finally passed away, his funeral was also paid for by the locals. He did no-one any harm and everyone in the area knew him.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Do you have access to fb? There's a few driving groups which often have them for sale:

Horse carts & harness
Horses ,harnesses and carts and stud for sale ,wanted or swap
MTF Cobs

I know of a bow top, just trying to find out if its still for sale

What a wonderful thread and do let us know if there's anywhere we can chip in towards a wagon for him. I was so touched by the story when I read it in the press.

I'll keep my eyes and ears out xxx

I remember a "gentleman of the road" who lived on a roundabout in Cornwall with his old Romany caravan and horse. When the horse died, the locals clubbed together and bought him a new one, and when the old man finally passed away, his funeral was also paid for by the locals. He did no-one any harm and everyone in the area knew him.

thank you everybody ive just started the fb hunting, if anyone knows of sites, perhaps you would be so kind to put an advert up for me.. bowtop/shephards hut wanted nothing fancy must be sound and able to be pulled. not 1000s i will go anywhere in the uk to collect. (although the top of scotland may be a bit far)

you can point them my way, janine howard on fb, or janinehoward37@hotmail.com can pm if anyone needs my phone number.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
RE donations. a close friend of johns has been in contact with the guy that has set up the fund. (in the link below) the cash takes 7 days to clear and with whats been rasied so far he is bringing down to john on saturday this week. so if you wish to donate please do, the opinion is its johns money and what he does with it is up to him..

however hes set aside 2500 for a horse. (i will know more about this tomorrow when i go to pay a deposit) he wants a new harness, nothing fancy but will need to be leather due to being out in the wet etc. anything else raised will go on a wagon.

there has just been a short bit on the news about him which can be seen in a bit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b052gb3w

http://www.gofundme.com/muc7os

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Fair brought a lump to my throat reading the article, cant offer any practical help but jhoward you are a star !

not me pl, i just took the old guy a print of gildor and bottle of whisky.. it was touching i went off to see the gypsys about a horse went back and he was stood showing some one the picture.

i have no issues with helping him. and have already asked for my name to be kept out of the media etc, as i just want to help him and see him happy on the road again.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
wow ive come in from work and the fund has shot up by 1400 in less than 6 hours. people out there are donating and if its any of you wonderful lot then i thank you. john does see the messages written for him and again is sooo over whelmed he thanks you all.

sprytzer

Visit site
someone local to me has 2 bowtops, i know they had one advertised recently on my facebook, but im 50 miles north of Aberdeen, maybe a bit too far?

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
someone local to me has 2 bowtops, i know they had one advertised recently on my facebook, but im 50 miles north of Aberdeen, maybe a bit too far?
]

if its the right wagon and right price its doable please enquire thankyou!!! I can always stay over night and come back the next day ...