South yorks. info on Streusel - 16.2hh Appaloosa please?

Dolcé

Visit site
Hi,

Streusel is a 10 year old, 16.2/3hh Appaloosa Dutch warmblood gelding. We bought him at york sales about 4 weeks ago from a dealer from Hartlepool. When we bought him they said they had owned him a year. He came with some german papers, we think a passport application, where he was called isaac or something similar. This name had been crossed out and Streusel hand written in.

However, we found an advert on horsemart that matched his description from a few weeks before so we phoned the lady who had advertised. She was based in South Yorkshire and had sold him 3 weeks before to what she believed to be a good home. Further contact with this lady has not been possible as it would appear she does not want to discuss him.

Streusel has some issues, mainly in that he seems very unhappy, very nervous in the stable, despite the fact we are very quiet handlers. It seems as though we just can't get through to him as he is just blocking us out. He also seemed very uncomfortable on his back legs but we think our farrier has sorted this.

He hacks out beautifully, although he needs some reassurance to go in front. We were told he has evented, and has been used for dressage and showjumping competitions. He has also been used for pony club camp we were told. He doesnt like schooling and we are not sure whether this is a new issue. He is a complete gentleman in every other way.

I would like any information about him that anybody can give to try and help us help him. We want to try to identify whether his issues are new (from dealer?) or longterm. The dealer was very specific in telling us he does NOT clip.

Please, if you have any information about this horse, please share it with us. We want to help him in any way we can.

streusel1.jpg

streusel3.jpg

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Have no knowledge of your lad, but would suggest that you give him a lot longer to settle with you. Our old Appy took a long time to settle with us, both her and the younger one seem best with one person, but lots of attention. They seem to appreciate being ridden by just one person and are very loyal to the person they choose to bond with. Ours are both mares so this may be different. They are worth persevering with and hope all goes well with him.

Twinkletoes

Visit site
I completely agree with YorksG. Time is the greatest healer. Also you can't beat being religeous about back and teeth, find a good Recommended back person to come take a look at him. When you have his jabs done (as presume he's out of date with all that) ask your vet to give him a once over, if youre not able to pay for a thorough peace-of-mind vetting.
He looks lovely, and I hope you get on well with him. Give him time to settle, bond, and make friends, and the biggest thing of all once any other problems are ruled out, is trust. Dont rush him. V excited for you though, as long term he looks a cracker. :0)

Dolcé

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. He has latched himself onto one horse and that in itself is causing a bit of a problem but at least he is happy when out. He still seems very unhappy when in the stable and I am still sure something has happened to him whilst he was confined although I doubt we will ever find out about that. I still feel he is blocking us out, as if he doesn't look at us then we cant see him sort of thing. He is in a quite strict routine which I think he likes as he knows what will happen when etc. He is occasionally showing signs of affection so perhaps he is begining to come round. I think I was more surprised that he got worse a few days after he came rather than better. He has certainly not known a cross word since he arrived (although I did have to be firm when the farrier did one foot and he actually seemed better after that - I think after he stopped cowering because he thought he would get battered and realised it wasnt going to happen). If anyone knows of him and why he is so nervous I would love to know.