Soya meal? Feeding advice!

Teaboy

Visit site
I have a very lovely but quite hot horse. She’s also quite hormonal. All these things I don’t mind and recently I’ve purely been working on gaining condition and a good partnership, predominately hacking, easy schooling etc. She’s happy now, bit too happy at times but that’s ok. Anyway she’s just been on a generic conditioning cube (haven’t looked too much into the sugar and starch content - bad owner!), Alfa A oil and sugarbeet. Looking ahead to competing (when we are allowed) I know she will need a less heating feed as she is one who has endless energy and her brain can be fragile and easily overthinks but it would also never harm her to have a few more pounds on. I’m looking to replace the generic conditioning cube with something else and I had thought a soya bean meal like Connelly red mills would be a good fit, high fat, high protein, low energy but I’ve seen some people saying not a good feed for a hormonal mare?
Any advice and experiences welcome particularly from anyone with experiences with the soya bean meal.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My experience us not common, but some horses are soya intolerant. On a high soya diet my TB lost weight and became increasingly difficult to ride. 48 hours off it he was fatter and his behaviour was almost back to normal.

I know this is uncommon, but watch out for it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Soya can send some horses absolutely nuts. Mines on pink mash which is soya hulls and I've never had an issue, but I know f quite a few who have been a nightmare on soya meal/oils/

Why don't you look at something like grass nuts and linseed?