Spain's Horses Facing Slaughter

Alec Swan

Visit site
It would seem that the Spaniards are now considering horses, as they do cattle. It's sad when they're reduced to their slaughter value, I'll grant you, but it's a preferred system to ours.

Alec.

Jools2345

Visit site
It would seem that the Spaniards are now considering horses, as they do cattle. It's sad when they're reduced to their slaughter value, I'll grant you, but it's a preferred system to ours.

Alec.

this, what alternative is there that does not end in neglected horses?

as long as its done humanely they will not suffer, our system is shocking, where well meaning people rescue horses they cannot afford or keep

Milanesa

Visit site
Interesting article, the economic problems in Spain are impacting in more ways than many thought. These horses are such a lovely breed, but again unrestricted breeding has meant a massive excess of horses. It's a sad fate :(

cptrayes

Visit site
Interesting article, the economic problems in Spain are impacting in more ways than many thought. These horses are such a lovely breed, but again unrestricted breeding has meant a massive excess of horses. It's a sad fate :(

It's as much the fault of the people who've bought them at the most ridiculous prices just because they were PRE that the Spanish have been breeding them. I couldn't believe my ears and eyes at the prices paid to import perfectly nice but far from special little horses that I've seen. A bit like what's been happening with gypsy cobs in this country too.

I'm also not sure how much of an article we can trust when it's written by someone who states that horses have a useful life of 10 - 12 years ?

Alec Swan

Visit site
It's as much the fault of the people who've bought them at the most ridiculous prices just because they were .......

cpt,

Do you remember the prices being paid, in Ireland, what? 5 years ago?, for nice but not spectacular ID fillies. There were those paying £5-15k for these animals, and then offering them, all so often in foal, for less than £2k. I'd suggest that boom and bust applies right through Society. We have comparatively good times, many jump onto band wagons which they don't fully understand, lose their footing, and then fall off, sometimes with spectacular results!

For the last 3 years, breeding sheep have been fetching prices which simply aren't sustainable. The heavy losses of breeding ewes this year, in some areas, may keep the market buoyant for this year, but we're heading for another crash, mark my words!

In a way, I suspect that these times are to the long term benefit of breeders. If we consider the TB industry, there are Studs at Newmarket (and elsewhere), which are reducing their numbers, by culling out the lesser mares, and this is a good thing. They, and the Spaniards too, are breeding for a market, and when the market crashes, then only the best survive, and that's horses and humans!

Where the Spaniards are fortunate, is that they have a disposal system which gives the unwanted animal a value. We have a disposal system which renders the animal a liability, but that's another subject!!

Alec.

Faithkat

Visit site
The problem with horses and breeding is that it is such a long term programme. Economic busts can and do happen overnight but if you are a stud with fields full of yearlings, 2, 3 and 4 year olds which are suddenly worthless, what else can you do with them? No-one could foresee the terrible recession we are all in and I believe the unemployment rate in Spain is running at something like 25% so it stands to reason there is no domestic market but there have been ridiculously greedy prices charged for PRE just because they are PRE and not necessarily good quality.

ColourFan

Visit site
Unfortunately the economic crisis has not only affected Spanish horse breeders and owners. Nearly every week there is a story in the newspaper or the horse media about neglected and starving horses.
Already there have been articles about neglected horses due to financial problems in countries such as the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Greece.

Milanesa

Visit site
Colourfan I agree it's a problem in many countries. Horses are expensive and as faithkat states breeding is a long term project which means many years after the excess of horses reaches its peak, just happens that Spain is now. It's all very sad, but I guess at least they are going to have a a swift end if they don't find homes :( .

Spook

Visit site
We will shortly be in dire straits in GB. Things are bad enough now. The keeping of broodmares and youngstock at studs (even when there has not been a foal for a couple of years past) cannot be sustained.

Even studs with good stock will eventually have to cull unless they can sell some on. The run of the mill breeding stock will have to be culled, it's only a matter of time. Sadly what was an asset has become a liability and there is absolutely no way out that makes any financial sense other than cutting losses and culling sooner rather than later

To add, it's time the charities addressed this problem much more openly and directly, they are/will, unless they tread very carefully exacerbate the problem

Last edited: