Spanish Walk

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Spanish walk is always taught inhand to begin with - it takes a VERY long time to train it properly - I started training Sirena inhand when she was three - how old is your horse?

To start you tap the front of their leg with a schooling whip, if they lift their leg even slightly praise them, if they do not move their leg tap harder (God will get annihilated by the tree huggers now
frown.gif
) until they do and immediately they do praise them and leave it at that for the first few times. That is the beginning, I tend to use a trigger word as well i.e., 'stretch', eventually they will do it from the voice and you can start to encourage forward movement (only one leg to begin with) - that is the beginning - still want to teach it?

bellgave

Visit site
Also depends on how cooperative your horse is and how quick he/she is to pick things up. In general Spanish horses are quite intellegent. Ive started teaching my LW show cob a few tricks inc. spanish walk as he has quite an active mind and picks things up very quickly!! Good Luck.

sorona

Visit site
Clicker training works a treat on this one; do it the way Sirena suggests but you can click and treat. You might get the desired result a little sooner that way. No, I'm not a tree hugger!