Sparsholt College riding assessment

Eq.MW

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

I’m hoping you can help me in a few weeks I have a riding assessment at College and although I have been riding since I was 4 and am confident out on a hack at all paces but no so confident cantering in a school. I am particularly anxious about this assessment as I struggle with anxiety anyway and the unknown is adding to it so I was hoping you could help me out and tell me your experiences (at any college assessment)

Thank you all x

Eq.MW

New User
Visit site
No I’m y11 atm but everyone who does equine must take a ride assessment before they start. Not a lot that’s why I was asking for peoples experience.

teapot

Visit site
It'll be a basic assessment to see how you ride, what you know, wider aims, why you want to go to Sparsholt etc, don't worry too much :)

Muddywellies

Visit site
Don't worry. You're going there to learn, so they aren't expecting you to ride like CDJ. Don't try too hard, just relax and be yourself. They will just need to know where you are currently at so that they can put you in the right group. I bet you have an awesome day, meet some lovely people, and afterwards will wonder what you were worrying about. Those things that you worry about always turn out to be absolutely nothing, I promise.

Durhamchance

Visit site
I had this at equine college 20 years ago- honestly don't worry. We were just asked to walk, trot and canter in the indoor school and they assigned our groups based on ability. It was under instruction too- I remember being put on a particularly fresh horse and being encouraged to slow my rise etc to stay in a rhythm. It was perfectly safe and I loved every minute of the following two years.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would go to enjoy, they won't ;put you on anything dangerous and what you are asked to do will be well within the capabilities of the horse.

I would imagine that being on time, being personable and hard working and looking like you can be trained is just as important as what you can actually do right now.

dorsetladette

Visit site
it really is just to make sure your in the right group. if your worried about cantering in the school. Can you get a couple of lessons in before the assessment so you can practise cantering circles and the transitions up and down.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
A friends daughter did it when she couldn’t really canter (she’d only been riding a short while, and cantering experience was limited to lessons at larkhill where the instructors were fit enough to run with you ?)
She got in, with the expectation that she’d also work on it before term started so I’m sure you’d be fine.