Speedi beet - dry or soaked?

horsegirl

Visit site
HI

On their website they say I should feed 1.75 kg of Speedi beet per day does anyone know if this is the dry or soaked weight? (I know it has to be soaked but 1.75kg dry soaked in 5 X water would be a massive volume of food?

Happytohack

Visit site
The are talking about dry weight. Their guidelines always recommend feeding much more than necessary. I soak half a large round scoop in water and this does one feed for two large horses and two little fatties. They obviously have other feed mixed with it.

Bex7

Visit site
for a second I thought this was a post about how to feed it!!
wink.gif
LOL

I take this to be the dry weight although it goes loads farther.

x

ruscara

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
for a second I thought this was a post about how to feed it!!
wink.gif
LOL

x

[/ QUOTE ]

You may laugh! I swear I found someone last winter who fed it dry. I have a feeling it was one of our transAtlantic cousins, who said they always fed sugar beet dry. Of course, I may be going mad.
crazy.gif

Tia

Visit site
Yes lots of people over here feed sugarbeet dry - the side-effects of doing this can be choke so not sure why they would heighten their risks.

horsegirl

Visit site
I sent them an email too but just wondered if anyone knew in the meantime. At the moment I soak half a round scoop and that makes a good half bucket full, I think that weighs about half a kilo so 1.75kg soaked would be nearly 4 buckets of the stuff! The half bucket does my horse 2 feeds (I put at the bottom of the bucket and separate from the nuts with a layer of alfa until the morning - seems to work quite well)

horsegirl

Visit site
I don't understand why they would be any more likely to choke on sugar beet than on normal pony nuts, they don't swell that quickly? They do swell in the stomach though hence the colic risk, any one else know?

Tia

Visit site
The likelihood of speedi-beet causing a horse choke is minimal because of the shape. With sugar beet cubes (and to some degree pony nuts) the coating on the cubes is what sticks to the horse's eosophigus hence heightening the risk.

Neither flakes nor cubes have the capacity to cause the horse's stomach to burst and the incidence of colic is as risky (or non-risky) as feeding anything; some horses are more prone to colic than others.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
i use speedi beat and its ready in 10mins--
yes i soak it - i used a bucket full for my horses
one big scoop and then water to ccover it you dont need as much water like in the pellets or shreds etc and you dont have to soak over night of 24 hrs--
its dearer but time wise is so much quicker -- i normally put thatin to soak beofre i do anything else
then when i have brought all the horses in as i have 8 then rug and then feed its ready