Speedibeet/equibeet/kwickbeet - which one? And another question

Puppy

Visit site
There seem to be quite a lot of products like this on the market these days and I'm thinking of trying one for my new chap.

Firstly, I'd like some recommendations - has anyone done an analysis between the different brands?

Secondly, I was wondering about how long you can leave each one soaking for before using?

I know the attraction for some is that it only takes 5 or 10 minutes, but it would be more convenient for me to put it in 12/24 hours in advance (once I get to the yard I feed straight away, and as fast as possible, so they don't start charging around :rolleyes:) I could keep it at home and put it in to soak in a tub in the car when I set off to feed, but I'm a bit worried I will forget.

Alternatively, is there a particular product that you can leave for longer?

Thanks in advance :)

be positive

Visit site
I use speedibeet soaked overnight for use in the morning and the evening feed. It would last longer in the winter but use within 24 hours in summer.

Puppy

Visit site
Ah, yes, sorry, I should have said that I mean for the Winter months. Hopefully he won't need it in summer :)

So you think speedibeet would be ok for 24 hours? It does say once prepared you don't have to serve it straight away, but isn't specific about how long it is safe to leave it.

AFlapjack

Visit site
I have used Speedibeet and Kwikbeet. Unsure of the differences but pony prefers Kwikbeet for some reason! I usually prepare about a week's worth.

be positive

Visit site
I nearly always use it within 24 hours and it is fine, have sometimes used it the following day and it has not gone off, it will start to smell sour if left too long as it will ferment.

marmalade76

Visit site
I have switched to Speedibeet for the lack of molasses not the quick soak time. I put warm water on it to make it soak quicker but as it looks much the same as the old beet pellets once soaked, I doubt there would be any difference in how long it keeps.

My friend, however, who's horse I feed on and off, has some stuff (can't remember the name) made by the same company as Speedibeet which is beet plus alfalfa, and this stuff gets stinky really quickly and her horse, who will eat just about anything, is not all that keen.

Rudey

Visit site
Just to throw another one into the mix and add to confusion, I use Allen & Page Fast Fibre! I started with it a couple of months or so ago, and so far so good, I like mine on it!

As can be read from their link I have posted below, it can take 30 - 60 seconds to soak! I prepare/soak feeds the night before mind - so technically I soak for 24 hours anyway! xx

http://www.allenandpage.com/Products/Rest-and-Light-Work/Fast-Fibre.aspx

Puppy

Visit site
OK, fab. Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone :) Sounds like using it on a 24 cycle will be fine at this time of year. I expect Charlie will eat any of them as he's a greedy little monster, so I shall compare the info on them all, pick one, and go from there :) Thank you!

AFlapjack

Visit site
I would not leave for a week as I am sure it will ferment by then unless the weather is very cold.

Been doing it for a while now, always check it before 'dishing out' and never had a problem with it fermenting! Although, if the weather warms up during the week I am extra careful and chuck it if it's been considerably warmer than usual.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I do my speedibeet in a big old codlivine tub and it lasts 4days ish. Ive never had a problem with it, i do make sure i give it a big sniff before i dish up but its always fine. I dont actually feed it in the summer though, just in the winter for my boy.

smiffyimp

Visit site
I use bog standard molassed sugarbeet - 12 hour soak. I have Arabs (and numerous other breeds over the years), never had any probs. IMO I cant help thinking all this speedi/kwik - whatever is a con to spend more money on feed:eek:

AprilBlossom

Visit site
I prob do two big trugs a week of speedibeet and it lasts pretty well - have only noticed it smelling a bit like a pub cellar once!
Kwikbeet was on offer at Countrywide the other day so the boys had that for a while until it wet back to being more expensive than speedibeet so now they're back on that, there seemed to be no difference between the two in terms of appetisingness, soak time (not that I'd notice anyway), effect on horses or length of it lasting.

Puppy

Visit site
I use bog standard molassed sugarbeet - 12 hour soak. I have Arabs (and numerous other breeds over the years), never had any probs. IMO I cant help thinking all this speedi/kwik - whatever is a con to spend more money on feed:eek:

I can see that molasses free products have indeed become more popular and the market is reflecting that, but I do feel that I would rather not feed molasses in general. I also don't think any of them are especially expensive per bag.

I've just been tallying up the various Dig En (MJ/kg), and %s of oil, protein, fibre and starch from them all and think I shall either try Speedi-beet or equibeet to start with. Fast fibre doesn't seem as appealing stats wise, and kwikbeet isn't too forthcoming with their analysis. Dengie Alfa-beet is also looking pretty appealing, but my feed store don't seem to stock it, so I shall have to ask them about pricing to factor in what you get for your money per bag.

Thanks again for all the replies :)

Sportznight

Visit site
The speedibeet/kwikbeet and any of the other non/low molassed SB's last longer than real SB. In this weather I'm soaking about a week's worth at a time of Kwikbeet - there is no way I'd be able to do that with real SB.

ETA I assume the sugar content has a direct correlation to the fermentation.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Smiffyimp I think it all comes down to how much sugar you want to use on your horse.
I wouldn't pile my kids with sugar so won't with my horse either.

Puppy

Visit site
The speedibeet/kwikbeet and any of the other non/low molassed SB's last longer than real SB. In this weather I'm soaking about a week's worth at a time of Kwikbeet - there is no way I'd be able to do that with real SB.

ETA I assume the sugar content has a direct correlation to the fermentation.

Yes, actually, that would make sense :)

Ok, I'm going to get some next weekend and see what Charlie makes of it.

Puppy

Visit site
Smiffyimp I think it all comes down to how much sugar you want to use on your horse.
I wouldn't pile my kids with sugar so won't with my horse either.

Yes, exactly.

Having had a cushings horse for a few years, until I sadly lost her this summer, has made me FAR more aware of the details of certain feesd and much more conscientious about steering away from sugary and starchy products. The same goes for having an insanely good doer (who can't be worked) and making sure her nutritional needs are met whilst trying to keep her trim.

Ten years ago when I had a horse needing to put weight on I would very naively buy conditioning cubes and standard sugarbeet. Now due to being more aware I am going for linseed and conditioning fibre products.

LIP2806

Visit site
I use Equibeet. I think its cheaper than Speedibeet and it lasts a lot longer. When soaked Equibeet makes a far larger volume, so you need to mix it with more water. I soak it the day before, so its soaked for 24 hrs. I have done a couple of days worth at a time before too.
Only prob with the stuff that takes longer to soak is if its left outside it can freeze in very cold weather.