speedibeet =hyper horse?

fizz-tally

Visit site
jay has been on build up for almost 2 weeks,is starting to look fab,on 4lbs a day mixed in with his mollichop[will not eat any other chaff] & speedibeet.

he has blown his lid over the last 2 days which i though was down to bu/mollichop rather than speedi beet but i have had a few ppl say they think the beet is responsible
confused.gif
i have always thought speedibeet was no where as heating as sugarbeet???

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Any form of beet makes H blow her mind!
frown.gif
She gets spooky and ridiculous and just won't listen to reason!
blush.gif

Some horses just can't seem to handle it!
Kate x

fizz-tally

Visit site
true, just as he is such a fussy eater & hard to keep weight on i was really hoping this diet would work as he turns his muzzle up at almost every feed/chaff we have tried.

maybe cut the speedibeet out for a week & see what happens?

fizzer

Visit site
i was under the impression u cud feed lots of speedi beet as a good fibre based diet, interesting reading

Louby

Visit site
I thought the same until I tried it! Both sugarbeet and speedibeet made my old mare and Jay very spooky as does any form of mix.

10past6

Visit site
I used speedi beat for my tb and it turned him into a completely different horse, he went from being laid back could take him anywhere with no problems to becoming a complete fruit loop i couldn't even hack him out as he became dangerous on the roads.

Took him off it and went back to being his laid back self, with the odd tb momment lol

galaxy

Visit site
Speedibeat although it is unmolassed is still sugar. It just hasn't had mollasses added to it to make it even tastier.

So yes, I would guess that that might me making your horse loopy. I think you're doing the right thing reducing it and seeing what the reaction is.

Scarlett1980

Visit site
I agree, Seedibeet is unmollassed and contains no more sugar than grass! It is approved by the laminitis trust and leagally has to contain only natural sugars.

It's probably that BU is full of starchy cereal and sugar although 4lbs a day is not that much.

If you can swap him onto a feed that conditions through fibre and oil like winergy equilibrium growth or spillers slow release cubes.

galaxy

Visit site
I had heard what you said, but when I spoke to a nutritionist, she told me that it was made for the bottom of the sugar cane stalks...... So essentially it is still sugar...........??? Having read you link I see where she got it from and to a certain degree I can see how she got to that conclusion.

galaxy

Visit site
Forgot to add why I asked the nutrionist the question and it was why would unmollassed sugar beet send my horse whizzy, and she said it was because it was essentially still sugar, but of a less harmful kind (ie why it gets laminitus approval)

I don't know........

Hanz

Visit site
QR. Speedibeet has the mollesses taken out of it so shoiuldnt really be sending them mad. But then again my horse goes loony with the smallest amount of any form of energy feed.

mitchellk

Visit site
Agree with sleepingdragon10- people do have funny ideas about sugarbeet also it has nothing to do with sugar cane- it is BEET, it comes out of the ground it is harvested at this time of the year!

jayvee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Speedibeat although it is unmolassed is still sugar.

[/ QUOTE ]

What utter rubbish.
Speedibeet NATURALLY contains 5% sugar,this is a very small amount ...the rest is the fibrous byproduct of the sugar extraction process.

fact not fiction

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I understand too. I expect you will find more sugar and starch in the concentrate you are feeding.
To remove the remaining traces of sugar in SB is to rinse in water the soaked amount you make.
If suitable and approved for lami's must be ok for anything else.