speeding up XC?

diggerbez

Visit site
i have an issue with making the time XC...only at BE100 and always seem to end up with around 5 time pens...horse isn't a chunky monkey- but he doesn't have the biggest stride- i do try to take the tighter lines and not steady up too much- although admittedly might waste a bit of time setting him up for doubles and things...but is there anything i can do to increase his speed (in a safe manner!)- or is it just a case of doing lots of galloping?

hoggedmane

Visit site
I once watched a friend have a clinic with Ginny Leng and she said if you pushed on on landing you could make up 30 seconds over the course if you just saved 2 seconds at each jump. I think this is a safe way to make you quicker rather than trying to save time before the jump.

georgiegirl

Visit site
Autumn is a chunky monkey and like you I have to be careful with lines and also trying not to set up too much for the more straighforward ones that you can just keep coming at - obviously though some you do need to come right back for.

I'm another who recommends really pushing away on landing after a fence. I used to think we went quite quick xc until I had a xc lesson and got given the nickname captain slow!

Since then I've made a massive effort not to land over a fence and think 'phew' but to really drive on as soon as we have landed. Other than that I just to to go as fast as what feels safe - if I get a time pen or two so be it!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I am a bit slow at the moment. I go round thinking how lovely and how easy it is and never really move up a gear! My plan is to get quicker on landing and to find a higher gear.

Gamebird

Visit site
This is an example of a horse who 'lands running' (please ignore the slightly dodgy jumps at fence two and the first water) and jumps out of his stride. This saves us a LOT of time. I generally go steady and set up for the first fence, land running over that then keep the momentum up. On this occasion we were 1 sec over the optimum (Novice) time, being 6th fastest out of 76 horses.

Don't by any means think that I'm trying to say 'hey, we're brilliant, do it like us', I'm just trying to give you an example of what it looks like when you land and go, rather than reorganise then kick on. Obviously you'd only be doing this once you were happy at the leve, but I'm guessing from today's result that you definitely are. Congrats! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nmhavDafpg

diggerbez

Visit site
thanks GB...that's useful...would you jump everything out of your stride? i am trying to do this more now that i trust him more...but i still feel the need to steady a bit out for doubles and combinations on bends and things, am thinking that i do this too early...problem is that i don't want to find myself fiddling right into the fence....agh..... :rolleyes:

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Haven't watched the video but having seen Gb ride I am pretty confident it's a good illustration. OP it is something that becomes a habit with practise but as you are new to it you must make a conscious effort to do it until the habit is formed. Literally say to yourself 'land & go' over each fence. Also practise moving on after landing whilst schooling.

diggerbez

Visit site
Haven't watched the video but having seen Gb ride I am pretty confident it's a good illustration. OP it is something that becomes a habit with practise but as you are new to it you must make a conscious effort to do it until the habit is formed. Literally say to yourself 'land & go' over each fence. Also practise moving on after landing whilst schooling.

yes BB...i suspect that i think i am doing it but, knowing me, i'm probabaly 'shillyshallying' around for a few moments before kicking...

oldvic

Visit site
As the others say, it is the time you save getting away from the fence and saving ground. It is dangerous not to be in the right gear for the different types of fences. Work out at home how long it takes to bring him back and aim to be organised about 6 strides from the fence so that he can assess it. Also practise galloping with him in balance so that you don't need to set up for the straightforward fences as he is already organised. Mark out a distance and practise going at the correct speed and a little faster so you have the feel. To make the time you will need to go a bit quicker to allow for the slower parts. Having said that, making the time is only a good thing if you can still jump the fences safely.

diggerbez

Visit site
As the others say, it is the time you save getting away from the fence and saving ground. It is dangerous not to be in the right gear for the different types of fences. Work out at home how long it takes to bring him back and aim to be organised about 6 strides from the fence so that he can assess it. Also practise galloping with him in balance so that you don't need to set up for the straightforward fences as he is already organised. Mark out a distance and practise going at the correct speed and a little faster so you have the feel. To make the time you will need to go a bit quicker to allow for the slower parts. Having said that, making the time is only a good thing if you can still jump the fences safely.

thanks OV... this is the thing...i don't want to scare the FJs unduly by careering around too much :rolleyes:
my horse does tend to jump quite big over 'scary' fences like trakheners so i do think i lose a little time in the air...but i do think that i need to shoot away after the fence more positively... also think that i must be setting him up too early...i had a phase where i had brake problems (now resolved) and it would take ages to get him back...think i might still be thinking that i can't slow down and steady up when i can really...think maybe i need more galloping practise to work on making the downward transition over a shorter space of time

thanks folks...lots of things to work with here :D

SpottedCat

Visit site
When I was at the stage you are now (ie super confident at the level but still getting a handful of time), I went to Longleat PN really early one day before my time, and watched the pros. I noted which fences they set up for and which they jumped out of their stride, and I realised I over-setup for simple fences, and it was a habit from when he was a youngster and needed to be set up for every fence. I knew we had a decent balanced stride that we could jump out of, so I wasn't concerned about terrifying anyone, but I went round the XC and forced myself not to take a pull before the fences the pros had jumped out of a stride. I did the same amount of setting up as normal for the combinations etc.

It just made me realise I was over-cautious where I didn't need to be, and from then on I found it all much easier. I did spend 2-3hrs out on the XC watching the pros though - I invested quite a lot of time and effort into seeing what they did and where, and it really helped me sort out in my mind where to take a pull and where to leave well alone.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Lots of good advice above.

Someone touched on practising your galloping and your speed judgement. . .not every horse gallops well naturally and it takes practice to get comfortable at speed. Perhaps a trip out to a gallops or other suitable area, preferably measured, might be something to add to the list.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I've noticed people also seem to waste a huge amount of time getting out of start box to fence 1. Get out of the box the way you intend to jump the rest of the course. You can generally save 5 to 10 seconds doing this which is pretty much your time faults.

squiz22

Visit site
Good thread!!

Lots of good advice here which is really interesting because I'm going through the same thing. My horse is young and he seems to not quite find his 5th gear but I know I also waste time setting up for fences etc which I really don't need to.

I've started using the gallops close to me (I'm lucky its a 10 minute hack and their free!!) and I've started to see a difference. I also don't go hell for leather I do a lot of work in a fast canter to build fitness and then push on down the long sides but bring him back and forth.

I've going to Pulborough on sat and I'm so going to try and push on more after the fences as said above... :)

oldvic

Visit site
thanks OV... this is the thing...i don't want to scare the FJs unduly by careering around too much :rolleyes:
my horse does tend to jump quite big over 'scary' fences like trakheners so i do think i lose a little time in the air...but i do think that i need to shoot away after the fence more positively... also think that i must be setting him up too early...i had a phase where i had brake problems (now resolved) and it would take ages to get him back...think i might still be thinking that i can't slow down and steady up when i can really...think maybe i need more galloping practise to work on making the downward transition over a shorter space of time

thanks folks...lots of things to work with here :D

It sounds like he does waste a little time - 1/2 sec at each fence soon adds up. Riding away from fences will help to get him less extravagant. Think of putting your leg on before you land rather than landing then riding otherwise it means you've gone 2 or 3 strides before you get a reaction, then another couple for the horse to pick up especially if they land a bit flat footed having jumped big. If you are used to setting up too early, put a marker 5 or 6 strides before a fence (which can just be wings to start with so you don't have to keep jumping) and have him set up by then and not before. Spotted Cat's suggestion of watching pros round a novice or 100 course should also help.

diggerbez

Visit site
oooh SC that's a really good idea...i think that i do this...despite knowing full well that he will go as long as i keep my leg on i can't help but fiddle on occasion- again a residue of nannying him round as a baby!- definitely food for thought....need to superglue my arms so that i don't pull!! haha

P&M...as you know i sometimes have rearing issues in the start box so i'm always wary of coming out too fast...but yes agree probably lose time here too

OV- that's really helpful...the whole putting leg on before landing- have never thought to do that before... its mad, my old horse who was the only one i'd evented before this was much chunkier than current horse and he never struggled with the time (unless he wasn't properly fit) so i've never had to analyse in much detail before!

thanks all...i'd like to make the step up to novice at some point next year- but clearly no point if i can't make the time at PN!

PrillyD

Visit site
Great advice. I have a quick horse but lose time setting up cos shes a tad nutty and always get time penalties! Lots to practice before next comp! Thanks guys :)