Spelling - mild rant

eggs

Visit site
Is it just me who has OCD over spelling on the forum?

My biggest bugbear is haylage spelt as hayledge.

BSJAlove

Visit site
i am awful at spelling. i mean really bad. and sometimes i get carried away with my typing and have to edit my posts because ive messed it up. but i always have a mini panic attack incase i get jumped on for spelling something wrong! lol

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Nope, I can't stand various misspellings or the persistent use of the wrong word - brought for bought, off for of, confirmation instead of conformation. I know everyone makes silly typos on occasion but getting it wrong constantly even correct examples are given? ARGH!

I guess I'm just a grumpy old bag. Don't get me started on txt spk!

Perissa

Visit site
My spelling is far from perfect but I do try. I really wish we had a spell checker.

Really poor grammar gets me too but my biggest bug bear is text speak. Surely people know that sentences start with a capital letter - every sentence! And what's with i instead of I? I would have got a big red mark on my school book if I'd come out with that!

The other thing that really puts me off reading a post is one long massive block of text with no paragraphing. Its just too hard to read.

So, no you aren't alone.

crellow4

Visit site
I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way. The posts on FB are even worse - poor spelling, grammar, text talk and airing dirty linen in public - awful!!!

Kokopelli

Visit site
Some things annoy me like the obvious ones, but I can't talk as my grammar and spelling is far from perfect. I'm getting there though after some intense english lessons.

WelshD

Visit site
I can see where you are coming from but...

I do see it from the point of view that I work hard and spend enough time getting things right there so when I am on the net I am relaxing and dont worry too much about the state of my spelling or grammar - as long as the meaning of a post is clear I'm not bothered

I do hate big blocks of text too though!

china

Visit site

people with dyslexia and the like spell things how they sound and are pronounced. They say the word to themselves. hay ledge.
It doesn't matter how many times you see it or have been corrected.
I do appreciate where you are comming from. my grammer is hurrendous but you can only try.

Fii

Visit site

As long as you can read the posts, i don't think that it matters overly. My spelling can get quite bad, but i left school a long time ago, and i would be most grumpy if someone on here pulled me up on it.
Text speak, well thats another matter. ;)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
This is a horsey forum not an english lesson - sorry grow up!!

How does not liking bad spelling make you not grown up! People talk about various things on here.

I'm another who types too quickly and makes errors all the time! Not the best speller anyway.

My biggest irritant is "should of" rather than "should have". Lots of my friends write it and they have degrees too! Having said that, thats just my problem - doesn't mean I'm attacking anyone who does it!

monikirk

Visit site
I teach so can see things from both sides, myself and one of my sons have dyslexia so guess I understand!
I get my wobbly spellers to use all the strategies they can find and not to get too stressed over spelling - technology will eventually make poor spelling a thing of the past!
This forum is all about communication - poor spelling and punctuation should not be a barrier. Anyhow blogs and forums are intended to be casual so grammar can take a back seat!
Don't get stressed - I spent many miserable years being berated for poor short term memory issues such as memorising spellings and times tables - in the end one of my final reports stated that I found my spelling more of an amusement that a concern. Now I teach and assess children with the same issues!!!! :D

JenniferS

Visit site
The one that really gets on my nerves is when people can't differentiate "you're" and "your"
Also "there", "their" and "they're"

Or when people use an apostrophe at every word that ends with an "s"
Eg:- Get's

:mad:

billy2

Visit site
English grammar is not taught in schools today - I think it's seen as being too restrictive. Have you read a newspaper recently? Same problem. Also, I think standard spellchecks are based on American grammar, so don't strictly apply in England.

Vikki89

Visit site
I can't say it really bothers me, I know my spelling isn't always great, some people just aren't as good at spelling as others.
What I don't like though is text speak, I don't even use that when texting.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
My spelling is far from perfect but I do try. I really wish we had a spell checker.

Really poor grammar gets me too but my biggest bug bear is text speak. Surely people know that sentences start with a capital letter - every sentence! And what's with i instead of I? I would have got a big red mark on my school book if I'd come out with that!

The other thing that really puts me off reading a post is one long massive block of text with no paragraphing. Its just too hard to read.

So, no you aren't alone.

Ehem, there should be an apostrophe in 'its', ie It's just too hard to read. (Sorry!)

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
I agree with the OP, i cannot do text speak thank god, which i consider plain lazy writing.I find having to interpret certain posts most frustrating, all just shows how education standards have dropped- no doubt this will annoy certain posters but this is my opinion!!!

D66

Visit site
I try not to get upset at spelling or grammar errors, but I really hate the posts that have so little punctuation that they are unintelligbabble ( yes I have just made that up). I know it is a forum and can be less formal than a letter to the Times but some peeps are so informal it is equivalent to going shopping in their PJs.:rolleyes:

PS I forget my Capitals because the computer at work puts them in automatically.:cool:

pinktiger

Visit site
there is sooo much more to life than spelling!!!! I hate, that because of this thread people maybe put off posting as they are not confident enough with their spelling ect ect!!! I say to those "i couldnt care less how you spell or punctuate, im interested in what you have to say in terms of content not its delivery and hope you will keep posting and ingnor these threads where people are being clearly 'petty' in my book!!!!!"

have i spelt correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'DILLIGAF'

Dolcé

Visit site
I suppose we have to remember that not everyone is good at spelling and grammar, there are those who are dyslexic and others who just never picked it up at school (assuming they are old enough to have ever been taught it). I do understand where you are coming from but I also feel it is unfair to draw attention to it in many cases, I worry that it just makes people feel inadequate by having attention drawn to their inability to spell correctly. I find I can completely ignore spelling and grammar mistakes as long as there is some punctuation.

I do however find text talk really annoying in a forum setting.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I don't think that this thread was ever meant to be very serious! It really shouldn't put people off. The arguements are more likely to do that. I think that its an age thing - most of us that are irritable about spelling have had it drummed into us at school - which doesn't seem to happen nowadays. My husband is dyslexic, and wouldn't be upset about this thread - he has no idea that he's spelt things wrong anyway!

The posts that I find the most unreadable are the ones that have signatures that flash and/or jump around, so that they draw my eyes away from what I'm reading.

andraste

Visit site
I am a giant spelling and grammar pedant myself but never inflict my views on others unless specifically asked for help or advice. I do, however, participate in tongue-in-cheek 'pet hates about grammar and spelling' threads. ;)

I'm not fussed about the spelling of others unless it is so bad that it impedes my understanding of their post. The same goes for punctuation and structure (paragraphs). If I can't easily understand a post I will ignore it and I'm sure others will too.

Last edited:

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I agree!!!!!!!!!!
It is so much worse ?!! when People Use random CAPITALS!!!!! and lots of question marks and excalamation marks!!!!!!!!!
It is!!!!!!!!!! a sign that they are;
1. Too stupid to know how to use punctuation marks
2. So stupid that they think overuse adds emphasis, eloquence or interest to their posts.
3. Under 12 years old.
4. Too illiterate to be able to make their points with any clarity, and are thus relying on the forum equivalent of SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!

S :D

pinktiger

Visit site
It is actually 'etc', not ect pinktiger but I would not have cared in the slightest had you not asked.

the disclaimer after (i should maybe explain to you (clearly) means

Do> I> Look>Like >I> Give >A> Fig (changed so the forum police dont get cross)!!!!!

D,I,L,L,I,G,A,F!!!!!!!!!!!! NOPE I DONT!!!!!