Spider's Somerford CIC* Report & Pics

sw123

Visit site
We have had the most fabulous weekend at Somerford Park, Spider our 6yo Mill Law baby was doing his first CIC* and it was also the first time that Somerford have held classes above novice with a new, stunning CIC* and Intermediate track having been built.

Dressage for Spider and Emilie’s other ride Douglas was on Saturday so we had a quiet day with Spider’s test in the morning, followed by his trot up and then Douglas in the afternoon followed by his trot up. Spider looked brilliant in the warm up, he’s really grown up and his frame has got much stronger. He looked very very smart with Em in top hat and tails. Into the test he was lovely and consistent, there were a few moments where he though there were ghosts in the trees at the end of the arena but generally one of the best tests that he has done. I trotted him up while Em rode the other horse – he did look slightly donkey like going one way but then dragged me doing best extended trot the other and passed with flying colours.

Off we went to walk the course – wow!!! It was stunning and David Evans and team had done an amazing job, It was a serious track, 1 and 2 were nice and then the questions started and didn’t finish till the 3rd last. It was full up to size and very nearly the same course as the intermediate which was also very much up to size. Normally a CIC* is half novice and half intermediate, well this shared 75% with the intermediate and nothing with the novice!!! Question after question, all things that Spi has done before but all things he’s not done one after the other with the let up fences being big up to height fences too. It was going to be a case of he either is a big bold event horse or he isn’t. The first big question was at 7, 2 big hedges with ditches in front on an angle of 3 very definite strides, you were either going or you weren’t as there was no room for any wobbles. I trust Em implicitly that she wouldn’t take a horse to an event it wasn’t over ready for but did think this was going to be quite a large ask!! Assured her that when she went XC if he didn’t feel happy or felt green just to stop all would be fine. She laughed at me – but he is my baby!!

On the way back from the course looked at the dressage score he got 47.9 which in FEI markings was very smart and at the time after 65 horses out of the 100 was good enough for 3rd place! Clever boy! Douglas did his test another smart one for 49.2. They were both in the top 8 after all the horses had gone so couldn’t ask for more than that.

We stayed at a friends nearby and had much nicer stables than the onsite ones, lovely meal and drinks! Not too early start for jumping on Sunday so all very civilised in the sun. Douglas jumped first a clear round and then Spider.

It was a big course with lots of poles and not many fillers (or at least not many solid looking ones!) Spi jumped brilliantly in the warm up and as they were calling for people to jump Em literally jumped the oxer then cantered straight in. He really really jumped. Did rattle one as if to say this isn’t a 1.10 novice track and then tried his heart out for a lovely clear round.
We took him straight onto the XC and off they went. The stupid commentator said nothing other than he’d hit the wall before the coffin quite hard so it was a nerve wracking wait for 6 mins till he came round to the water jump where he looked very smart straight through and then over the final 2 fences – clear!!!!!! They were well inside the time too!!!!! Em was beaming, Spider was beaming, apparently he really took it on and didn’t waiver, absolutely loved it. How proud were we!!!

Douglas followed with another clear inside the time so it was a very very good day at the office! Finals scores were announced and from the 100 starters, Spider finished an amazing 6th and Douglas 8th – you cannot ask for more than that can you, especially from our little 6 year old! He’s now got 22 points, 21 of them gained this season in not many runs and is very grown up and out of novice – very scary stuff!!!

VERY HANDSOME!!!

44695_806232892658_199704011_48150602_8330177_n.jpg

Sideways

44695_806232927588_199704011_48150609_1005462_n.jpg

46076_806233626188_199704011_48150713_711802_n.jpg

46076_806233656128_199704011_48150719_2314259_n.jpg

44695_806232887668_199704011_48150601_1985584_n.jpg

Shrimp

Visit site
Fabulous result! I have some sj pics of spider and xc of douglas if you'd like to see them? The xc ones are at the double of hedges which was a bit of a heart stopping moment! But both gorgeous horses I have to say :)

sw123

Visit site
Fabulous result! I have some sj pics of spider and xc of douglas if you'd like to see them? The xc ones are at the double of hedges which was a bit of a heart stopping moment! But both gorgeous horses I have to say :)

Would love to see your pics :) Douglas at the hedges was VERY scary according to Em, he also lost a shoe so slipped a lot for the rest of the course an was a v brave boy to carry on like he did.

TopTotty

Visit site
How fantastic...well done you. :) We bred a mill law baby who is a yearling now so maybe I will show him your pics of his half brother and show him what he needs to do!!! I'll be VERY happy if he's half as good as your chap! :) :)

hollibobs

Visit site
Wow, what a fantastic result for you.

I went down yesterday to watch a friend in the intermediate and thought the 1* track was a serious test, made me realise just how much we'll have to do before we're ready for that. I thought it was huge, & like you say question after question .

Really well done again, you must be very proud :)

Baydale

Visit site
I was thinking I'd missed this on Facebook so it's great to get all the finer details. What a star Spider is, and Douglas is no slouch either.;) I just love the sideways Spider photo. I bet you were a nervous wreck, huge well dones to you and E.:D

Evadiva1514

Visit site
What a fantastic result... Well done to you all. He looks absolutely stunning and is a real credit to you!! I love Mill Law horses and your boy is no exception!!

Congrats again!!

diggerbez

Visit site
wow... he's 6??? :eek: he looks very grown up :D
scary moment at the hedge! :eek::eek::eek:
i thought the course looked like a really stiff test. know someone who was meant to be doing their first 1* (but couldn't because horse was lame) and she thought it looked easy!! :eek: (think she was chatting **** personally :rolleyes:)

jules89

Visit site
he is so gorgeous. I remember lots of his reports from last season and wondering how he would fare this season. What a horse. Beautiful.

AutumnRose

Visit site
HOw fantastic - he looks absolutely super :) :) :)

I found watching my horse do an intro with a rider terrifying so goodness knows how nervous you must have been but i hope you are very proud :) :) :)

sw123

Visit site
Thank you all, yes I was a nervous wreck and cried when he came through the finish!!! But yes very proud, bless him. Prize money was terrible we got £60 I think for 6th and £30 for 8th!!! Millie our 7yo won £68 the week before for 5th at a novice!!!

SW66

Visit site
Wow, what a result especially considering how young he is, :D

A very :eek: moment at the hedge, well done to both of them to stay together, :D

Gamebird

Visit site
Well done Em and Spider. Isn't he just awesome? :D

Did you think it was a reasonable CIC* or one to save for after they'd done another one or an Int first? The pics look like it was biggish but it sounds like it rode well.

I won't mention the £57 my friend got on Sunday for 5th in an Intro shall I? :eek:. That prize money is insulting!